Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused on which surgery to look into

So I have just mailed my paperwork to the surgeon to get a first appointment. I was all for the sleeve and had got myself so excited to get the process going. Then I find the forum group regarding complications. Read those and saw where some sleevers had to get bypass. Then I read bypass forums and look into this surgery. Then I see where bypass patients look into reversals. I am 48 yrs old, 350 lbs and bmi around 60. I'm tired of being on 4 bp meds. Tried every diet out there. I get excited, then read some of these and scare myself. Even tho people have problems, are there any regrets in doing surgery?

I started out at a higher weight and BMI than you and was sleeved April 20 of this year. I couldn't be happier with my progress and recovery so far.

You need to talk with your surgeon about the pros and cons of each surgery as it relates to your specific needs. You don't have to decide today. Let your surgeon help you weigh the alternatives. He or she is the expert.

Thanks. I know everyone is different and outcomes are different too. I have only had 1 surgery in my life and I'm scared. I just want to be healthy and be able to do things I am afraid to do and want to do. I get excited reading successful outcomes and then get scared reading things that people have had problems with. All just so confusing.

I choose the bypass I am 47 Hw 363 Sw 340 Cw 280 but I love sweets and the bypass causes dumping syndrome which helps me I have been doing great just wish I lost a little faster..

@@tbella67 I was the same as you when I first went to see my Doctor, I was going in for the Sleeve. They said I was a good candidate for the RNY Bypass. Scared me, it sounded so invasive!!! So I did my research, talk to people who had had all three from the band to the RNY bypass. After all my research & talking over with the Dr. who has done over 4000 Bypass surgery's I decided to do what he suggested was right for me, the RNY bypass. I had it done Oct.8th this year & have been very happy with the results & wasn't near as painful as I thought it could be. Much easier. If you have acid reflux they say the RNY bypass is a better choice. I have a friend who had the RNY Bypass, at the same time his 2 younger brother's had the sleeve. After they all reached their goal, his brother's who had the sleeve began regaining most of their weight. My Dr. said, what he has seen now after the sleeve has been out for awhile, that some people were regaining their weight more often than the RNY Bypass. I didn't want to go through the process again. Don't let this discourage you what ever you choose. Many people have been successful with the sleeve, as well as the band. I know the RNY bypass is working for me so far. I have lost 21 lbs in 7 weeks since surgery. I don't even feel like I have had surgery except no hunger & I get full quickly. Best of luck to you what ever you choose!!!

Edited by 60&goin4it

Unfortunately, with any medical procedure, there is always going to be a chance that something will go wrong. That's just the nature of the beast. However, statistically speaking, most people have zero complications or only have small ones that go away after a time. The chances of major complications are very, very small and the experience of the wls medical professional community has greatly increased even just in the last few years. Only you can decide if the small chance of complications is worth the huge chance of success and health. For me, it was my fear of complications vs. my hatred of my meds, my knowledge that I will die in a painful and humiliating way, and probably soon, if I did nothing to manage my body, and my intense desire to have my life back and live in a way that I want. There was no contest and no anxiety once I weighed those two things. I regret absolutely nothing about getting my RNY and I'm betting you wouldn't either, but if you honestly think that your fears of the possible complications are stronger than your desire for the good things that come from wls, then don't do it. It's your body. :) I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

as u are aware there are pro and cons with each surgery. look at the pro's. the reason you would chose one over the other. the biggest against sleeve is reflux and gastric problems. you don't have that problem with bypass. all 3 surgeries will help or eliminate the diseases caused from wt. I had the band and it took a little longer to bring them under control than bypass. but u really need to have a sit down with your doctor and NUT.

I'm 24 with a high weight of 290 and a bmi of 51 I'm hoping to be sleeved in March of next year. All I hear on these boards is how people wish they would have done it sooner. Well I want to be healthy in my late twenties I want to be healthy for my husband most of all I want to bring a kid into this world and right now its impossible

Thanks for everyone's responses. I will just wait until I get my appointment and speak to the doctor. No second guessing myself!

Like everyone has said it is truely up to you. Do your reasearch as you have already started doing. I think everyone of these surgeries there is going to be horror stories but usualy the very people that have the complications will tell you it was worth it. I chose RNY simply becasue it has the best outcome of all of them for what I was wanting. It also will make me not cheat. I know my weakness is food and I am real with myself about it. I also know that I DO NOT want dumping syndrome and so I will not cheat.. Good Luck on your journey

@@Bigguy9347 Have you had your surgery yet? I had RNY Oct. 8th with Josh Roller! Excellent outcome!

@60&goin4it

Yep finaly did. The other Josh did mine Dr Murout.. I loved him. Dr Roller said that I would. Everything is great for me also other than I havent lost a pound.... I lost about 40 lbs right before surgery and was told not to worry but Im like come on. Anyways My original Surgery was Oct 12 but got cancelled at Phys Hosp becasue my heart went Crazy So It was put off till Nov 16th. So Im only 3 weeks out... Able to eat fairly good and drink just fine... All in all a really good experiance other than the no weight loss thing. Neat to see a fellow Roller Weight Person and Neighbor. I'm from Bentonville. Live in Jasper now but family still in NWA

@@Bigguy9347 Good to hear you are doing well!! My husband & I live in Eagle Rock Mo. on Table Rock Lake. The weight loss thing can be discouraging. I lost 5 lbs by week 2 after surgery. I was so bloated after the hospital. I'm 2 months out & have lost 22lbs. I only weigh 1x a week (the day of my surgery) to not get discouraged. I was able to start walking at 3 weeks for 30min a day & I'am now up to 45min. 6x a week. Just keep doing what they want you to do, it will start coming off. I believe the slower the better anyway. I usually post in the Oct. list of surgery's in pre op with other's who had surgery around mine. lots of good info there!!!