Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was the plane ride after Surgery in Mexico?

I was just wondering how the plane ride after the surgery was for any of you? I was thinking it is going to be pretty rough and thought a pillow up against my belly would be best. Any other advice? :rolleyes:

Hi Fat2Phat2016,

You can ask our patients on our FB group about how they dealt with air travel and get some useful recommendations.

BariatricPal Surgery Deals Group

Have a safe trip.

Thanks Henry, but I am not on Facebook. Hopefully I can get a few ideas here. ????

Hey there! I am also concerned about this. Mostly I am worried that a layover with plane switch will be too much. My only solution is to find a non-stop flight. The pillow is a good idea! Also I am going to request a seat belt extender. Good luck!

-Angie-

I found the plane ride home just fine. I had a 3 hr flight to San Francisco, with an hour long layover and then a 3.5 hour flight up to Canada. Before surgery I was super nervous about catching that plane in SF but I was able to walk almost normally with very little pain. I have a history of blood clots (DVTs) so was also super paranoid about that. I wore compression stockings and got.up and walked the aisles every hour. I was alone throughout this jourmey but thankfully no issues at all on the trip home.

You won't be able to drink a whole lot at a time still so I took powdered electrolytes to add to my Water on the plane. That helped a ton with keeping me hydrated and helping my energy levels.

Good luck! And say hi to sunny Mexico for me!! I'm hoping to go back in February, except for a vacation this time!!

Thanks for the info Remix. I am flying to Florida a week after my surgery and I was wondering what that was going to be like. I will make sure to get some of the powdered electrolytes you mentioned and carry a pillow if I think I need it.

I flew back from Mexico 3 days after surgery..... 3 hour flight and then drove 2 hours. Drove another 4 hours the next day. I planned to drive straight home the 1st day but it was a white out blizzard and the roads were icy so I stayed in a hotel till the storm passed.

I had no problems at all on the flight. Like Remix, I wore compression stockings and walked all over the airport While waiting for my flight. I asked for help with my carry on luggage and brought propel packets to put in my Water to drink. Also found Muscle Milk in one of the airport stores to sip on.

My flight was fine. I didn't use a pillow either. My flight was about 4 hours to and back and I flew first class, which I strongly recommend. The only concern I had was feeling of faint on the return flight because I was only able to drink less than half a small bottle of Gatorade for the whole day. I remember I had to walk slow and was not able to walk fast in the airport. Other than that it was great.

Hi frazildazil,

We have had patients that have traveled as far away as Australia and South Africa. None have had any problems.

Hi frazildazil,

We have had patients that have traveled as far away as Australia and South Africa. None have had any problems.

Hi, yeah I met a girl who has been to Mexico for the same thing. She says she had no problems traveling.

NZ KIWI GIRL!!

Thank you everyone who commented and gave advice! I will be using this advice for my trip yo Mexico in December!! ✈️

It was a breeze! Didn't have any issues except being very tired because of the late flight.

No problems! I went to the airport 7 hours before my flight because the traffic crossing the border to San Diego can be rough so I didn't want the driver to make multiple trips. If I had more time to book my flight I would have gotten a nonstop but with a 2.5 hour flight and then a rush to make the second 1 hour flight it was not bad at all.

I walked frequently during my wait at the airport and sipped Water and Powerade all day. Then I got up to use the bathroom every hour on the plane. I asked for a seat belt extender just to make sure it was not tight around my abdomen even though I usually can squeeze into the regular belt.

I traveled nearly 12 hours altogether. I didn't have anything but Water because everything else at that point gave me diarrhea. I had tried Powerade the night before but that gave me diarrhea as well. I decided I would rather be hungry than have an accident on the plane.