Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have You Convinced Anyone Else To Have The Surgery?

I haven't convinced anyone to have WLS, but haven't hidden mine, either. There is a guy at my Y that fits the profile of someone doing the 6 month insurance thing, and I have considered how to approach him to offer any advice he may desire. As many have found, this is a touchy subject for all involved. I have greeted/chatted briefly with him in passing as a start (and how many people start up a conversation with the fat guy/gal when it's not their job?) and figured that when I found an appropriate opening I would let it drop that I had been there, too, when I started at the Y and just leave it up to him to pursue the point if he wanted to. Comments or suggestions on that?

I haven't "convinced" anyone, but my wife decided she wanted to have the surgery as well and we are doing it together.

My Husband and I had ours 2 yrs ago. When I told him what I wanted to do the first thing he said is that dangerous? After telling him everything I had learned about it, he turned around and said I'm in lets do it. 2 yrs latter we are both at goal with no regrets

I also haven't tried to talk anyone into having surgery. However, I have one friend that is scheduled in February and has scheduled her surgery since I had mine. Of course she was leaning toward it anyway so she would have eventually done it on her own. I have another friend that is happy for my progress but would never have the procedure done. I think it's a personal choice. If someone is inspired by my success that's great but if asked if they should have it done, I always tell them it is there choice and that they have to be prepared to sacrifice a lot. It needs to be a serious commitment. I tell them they must be prepared to give up smoking, alcohol, cokes, and cheesecake for at least a year and possibly for a lifetime.

Not only have I not convinced anybody to have the surgery, but I will not even broach the subject with somebody who is of a category to be considering it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to bring up the possibility (I am not a doctor of any kind, but I don't think even surgeons or PCPs should be doing any more than mentioning it as a possibility) other than to make sure somebody is aware of the option (and that is if you are a doc). This is a decision that has to be organically rooted in one's own mind, and undue outside influence is bad even if the person ends up having the surgery and is wildly successful.

I would understand disagreement with this particular stance, but I am adamantly against actively prodding somebody in this direction.

Great News!

My best friend told me this past weekend that she has decided to get the surgery. She was the one who recommended that I get it. I took her advice and began to research it myself. I went through with surgery in May. However, she herself decided not to do it with the excuse that she can't go without carbs because it would kill her and the fact that she is on her feet for about 10 hours a day at work. I tried explaining to her that going without carbs is not deadly but she is stubborn. Well, she saw my weight loss and now has changed her mind. Her first appointment is next month. I even told her that if she denied by insurance that I would even go with her to Tijuana, where I had my surgery, and she is open to the idea. I'm so proud of her!

I have been asked about WLS and I share my story. I don't pursue anyone. I feel it's my experience they are ASKING me about. If they pursue me, to ASK about my WLS, and decide to not have surgery that's their business. Pre WLS I asked two people to share their experiences. One did, the other didn't. Didn't affect my decision.

Options for helping with obesity are more exposed now, I think everyone who has been obese has researched ways to gain control of the situation. I have encouraged concern people at the surgeon's office if they let me in on their conversation but otherwise I have not convinced anyone nor discussed it except obviously with you all :) . IMHO I think this is such a personal decision that one has to have the courage to push themselves forward and seek the solution all on their own.

I have inspired others by example but have never convinced or even initiated a conversation with another person on the topic.

Not only have I not convinced anybody to have the surgery, but I will not even broach the subject with somebody who is of a category to be considering it. I think it is entirely inappropriate to bring up the possibility (I am not a doctor of any kind, but I don't think even surgeons or PCPs should be doing any more than mentioning it as a possibility) other than to make sure somebody is aware of the option (and that is if you are a doc). This is a decision that has to be organically rooted in one's own mind, and undue outside influence is bad even if the person ends up having the surgery and is wildly successful.

I would understand disagreement with this particular stance, but I am adamantly against actively prodding somebody in this direction.

I lean more toward this answer. While I am open to talking about it with anyone, I would have to make sure they understand that I am not recommending it, but that I am simply sharing my experience to act as information for THEM to make the decision, free from any expectations from me. If they are a friend or family, I of course want them to be successful, whichever path they take, but I do not want to endorse any procedure as "The one to do". All I have to offer is what happened to me and the challenges, and rewards, that I went through.

i haven't convinced anyone to have it but i have openly shared my experience when asked. I have had a couple friends who have had the surgery done since i have had - i am pretty sure they were already thinking of doing it before i did it but were just on the fence about it and then when i shared my success and they saw my progress - i think that may be what helped them make their decision. Weight is such a personal subject - there is a fine line between helping someone and offending someone and unless they ask me - i just don't share. There is a lady i know that will tell strangers on the street all about her WLS and you can tell they don't care and don't want to hear about it....and the people that we know absolutely cringe when she walks in - because they know what she is going to talk about - over and over again. :rolleyes: So, i really try to not give out WL advise unless asked and even then i try to downplay whatever i do say. LOL!