Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surviving the holidays and food celebrations

This will be the first real test of my resolve to continue on a sane eating program during the holidays. There are at least 2-3 office Christmas parties coming up and then there are family dinners. Anyone have ideas or advice on getting thru this without totally blowing my program? Especially you veterans, how do you manage this time of year? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to all my Bariatric peeps????????????????????????????????????????????

@@skinnyrita - I was also sleeved in May 2015 too. I plan on doing like I have on the 4th of July and birthdays for my grandsons - eating smart (and smaller amounts).

I am not going to NOT have a piece of pumpkin pie (just might be only a bite or two) and stuffing/gravy and cranberry sauce (small amount of each). I want to live my life and this is my plan...smarter (and smaller amounts).

Well ... I've survived many holidays and they can be challenging.

My system is to have a Protein Drink right before going....and I know this sounds odd but I don't stand around the food or look at it too much.

If I first ask what people at the table need ... drinks , a glass, Condiments, it helps to minimize my time at said table....often I get up from the table a little earlier and help with clearing a bit or refilling and just moving helps me not concentrate on just food.

I do eat a small plate of what I choose

And here we are at another holiday season. Good luck and please tell us if anyone has other hints to help

After losing my dad in September and my husband last year... I just want January to come. No little ones so minimal decorations .

(We are adopting a family instead of overbuying things we don't need)

That is enough of my story!????

Hope others can also help with ideas to get to New Years without added pounds!!

I focus on the people, not on the food.

I will make a plate of veggies and Protein, but as I don't like my food to touch, I just get a small spoonful of my choices. I eat my measured (eyeballed) amount slowly and enjoy the conversation where I used to eat while thinking about what I was getting for my second serving.

If I really don't want to eat, I will pour myself a drink and sip on that instead of making a plate. Sometimes coffee, sometimes wine, usually (shhhhhhh...) Coke Zero. Bubbles fill me up and I CAN'T eat, so win!!

@@LipstickLady I hate for my food to touch also. It makes it so easy to limit eating at the holidays or holiday parties. I won't pile my plate up because if it touches I won't eat it.

I'm going to eat whatever I want. I really don't eat a lot and the further I am getting from surgery the lower my interest in food is, to the point I have to really make sure I get my calories and nutrients in.

I don't work in an office. I don't like chocolate. I hate pumpkin pie. I hate sweet potato pie. The holidays should be a cake walk really. Day to day is a bigger struggle.

@@Julie norton I'm so sorry for your loss. You're a strong, admirable person for still being able and willing to take such good care of yourself and others after going through that. Stay strong and inspiring. <3

@@skinnyrita what works for me is substitution. If I know I'm going to smell brownies or pumpkin pie or anything that looks amazing but I can't eat it, I try to have a substitute on hand that will satisfy the craving. Pumpkin pie Quest bars are AMZING for this, and I also enjoy the Cookies and creme muscle milk pro series shake for when I have a sweet craving that won't go away. Met-rx Protein Bars are great too because they are really tasty and low in sugar. Salty cravings aren't usually a problem for me because I eat so little salt daily now that I don't feel guilty for spicing/salting my food as much as I want.

Well ... I've survived many holidays and they can be challenging.

My system is to have a Protein drink right before going....and I know this sounds odd but I don't stand around the food or look at it too much.

If I first ask what people at the table need ... drinks , a glass, Condiments, it helps to minimize my time at said table....often I get up from the table a little earlier and help with clearing a bit or refilling and just moving helps me not concentrate on just food.< /p>

I do eat a small plate of what I choose

And here we are at another holiday season. Good luck and please tell us if anyone has other hints to help

After losing my dad in September and my husband last year... I just want January to come. No little ones so minimal decorations .

(We are adopting a family instead of overbuying things we don't need)

That is enough of my story!????

Hope others can also help with ideas to get to New Years without added pounds!!

Julie, thanks for your post. That is good strategic advice to stay away from the temptations as much as possible. I will try to make sure I step away, especially at dessert time!

I am sorry to hear of your losses this year. Going through the holidays can be difficult when you are in the midst of grieving. I pray for comfort for you and your family.

Thank you cyber friends. Sometimes. Ok often. I feel like WLS people are the only ones who truly understand how year in and year out we need each other????

Yes. My losses are heavy on my heart and I take hope from others who also go through really hard times. The holidays just amplify my feelings.

It does not help that my late husband and recently deceased father shared a birthday, as do I, right in the week before Christmas.

I just went to a hospice grief group on surviving the holidays... It helped..

I'm strong and I'll get through.... but damn I miss my mom and dad and husband as I hear sad holiday songs and families are joyous... And I'm just smiling and gasping for January ????????

Ps. I do know food is not the answer and will NOT help. Thanks WLS