Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's still around?

It's been a long time since I needed WLS support. I've needed all sorts of OTHER support in the last nearly two years, but this hasn't been the place for me.

How's everyone been?

I miss some voices here, I won't lie. After five years and after my last year and a half of tumultuous "real world" struggles the weight loss thing seems like easy stuff compared, which probably won't sit well with some people. But remember, the weight is a symptom of the head crap and I've been working on the head crap, right? So the more you work on you the less likely you are to struggle with the weight (IMO, anyway, for what that's worth) so it all kind of falls in line after a while.

Last time I was here I'd had my youngest daughter and was struggling to lose weight, my dad had just passed away and we'd gotten surprise custody of two teenage stepdaughters while one of my stepdaughters was missing out on a drug bender, I think. Life is INSANITY over here in my lane.

In the past while life has adjusted into something else much more do-able and peaceful for sure.

But here were care about the weight, right?

I'm doing well. Definitely a success. No plastic surgery - still just don't have the time or money put back for that. But still okay. I have far exceeded what I ever thought my sleeve would do for me. I will not lie - this surgery works no matter what - if I go back to doing what I'm supposed to do it never fails me. It's ME that does the wrong things, it's ME that doesn't work the things I need to do. It's my head that doesn't get in the game, my emotions that get out of whack, my spirit that gets me down, my life that spirals out of control, my habits that take over my life, my laziness that keeps me from being physical, my lack of motivation that keeps me from wanting to change my focus or meditate or read something that will help me progress - it's ME. It's not this sleeve. It's what I do to my body and my mind and how I choose to live each day that makes the difference. This was never about my weight, it was about the whole picture. I was a completely unhealthy lump of sadness and depression and misery seven years ago, no lie.

I lost so much more than weight, and it's so much more than being skinny that's freeing, that's for darn sure.

I'm currently between 124 and 128 pounds (I'm 5'1" tall) but I didn't even know that until I went to the doctor a week ago. Because I put the scale away. Screw that scale. I don't need it. Because my pants fit. And if they get a little snug and it's not my cycle, I already know that I need to adjust something. More Water, less sodium, more exercise, less junk - I'm in tune with my body and what I'm doing every day. I refuse to be in denial about my lifestyle and my body any more. I am not passively living in this body. I am present. I am here. Because this is a GIFT. I gave myself a second chance and I'll be damned if I'm wasting it. It's not about vanity or skinny jeans or a tight stomach. It's about living my life to the fullest and feeling like I want to feel. I eat what I want and enjoy every bit of it, but I will not allow that indulgence slide out of control.

I'm in XS, S - size 4 - size FOUR, sometimes TWO. It's insanity. I can share clothes with my teenagers. I turn 35 next week. I feel young and vibrant and peaceful and happy and it's more than my size it's my everything. I've put so much away that there just no reason to hide in food and anger and sadness anymore.

Life is good.

How are the rest of you? How is life treating you on your amazing, wonderful paths? Ups, downs, twists, turns, all of it - I don't regret a minute. I really don't. I've learned so much and I've had so much joy. It's a beautiful day.

~Cheri

Edited by clk

Nice to hear from you! I will be 4 years post revision to sleeve and am so happy with my results! I think alot of us would agree that the crap that surfaces post weight loss is sometimes the real challenge!

Congratulations on your ongoing success and getting a peaceful life back too!

I'm no veteran and not one of the folks whose voice you miss, but I have to say I absolutely LOVE your post. Thank you for taking the time to share it. It's lessons like yours that those of us on the early end of our journey need most.

Thanks for sharing your post!! I always enjoy reading from individuals that have several years out of surgery. You are doing great! I will have 1 year w/ 5months on Monday. Thankfully everything is going well with me. I enjoy reading that you share your clothes with your daughter ????.

Thanks for the reality post of real life. Years down the road.... Seems like staying focused is the main hint. I agree it is easier to try to ignore great habits when under a lot of stress... Like you said. Going back and knowing what to do. Again. That is the long term key imho

It is a true life time change.... Not really an off and on diet.

Great to hear from other veterans????

@@CLK good to see you again! I wondered where you went :) Glad that you are doing well.

I'm three years out from my sleeve, and also a (self-declared) success! My success looks much different than yours. I'm almost 20 years older, weight is a little higher, and my approach is that of tracking and monitoring. But what we have in common is the knowledge of what it takes for each of us to succeed. I am a firm believer there is no one way to do this, and our stories of success are as unique as we are. One thing is universal, though, and you said it great - that you are present. We all have to show up, every day.

Anyway, I love everything about my new life post WLS, and I'm not about to give that up! It really is a precious gift.

There is so much about this post that I love! This IS a gift, I am glad to see someone 4+ years out doing so well.

I'm 5 years post Lap Band....far exceeded my expectations also....easiest thing for me also, and yes people don't like to hear that but it's true fro me....

If the band controls my hunger, cravings, and portion sizes,...what's difficult?

Being sure to get daily Protein, Water and exercise is about it...

Many veterans have long been gone...this forum is dominated by people just staring out...within the first year or two...

This subject has been touched upon quite a bit....

I've learned to live a new way of living, with eating new healthy foods, enjoying being active, and loving being healthy and lite on my feet....

Not constantly struggling with diets and worries about weight issues.

Yea! So happy to hear from you again and about your WLS success. I am now almost 3 years out- been maintaining for 2 years and agree that my sleeve works when I work it.

Massively great post.

Thank you.

Cheri,

Congrats on your loss, your "skinny' frame of mind and your new survival skills. I am going on 4 yrs post op with Dr. Aceves. I remember when I first met him before my surgery, he told me "you know, I can operate on your stomach but I can't operate on your mind". I have never forgotten that conversation and of course, now when I think about how lucky I was to be one of the his patients, I remember that.

My life has been a roller coaster as well, losing my father, mother and brother over the last few years, moving long distance and starting a new life coupled with many other challenges, i have been confronted by the memory of Dr. Aceves like an angel speaking to me reminding me of what he operated on.

The interesting thing is when I was going through my most recent "roller coaster ride of life" dealing with a challenging relationship, i was doing the 5:2 diet. It was interesting to see how on my fast days, my mind had so much more clarity and strength. I continue to learn and teach myself new ways to survive when life gets "rough".

I too haven't had plastics (yet) although I lurk on RealSelf until I have money and time to do something with :) I have my procedure and my doctors all picked out in my head at least ;)

I thank god for my gift (both my sleeve and for Dr. Aceves' comment).

Congrats to you and please keep us all updated on your status!

I'm still here. It's good to see you. I thought you were definitely gone for good.

I've had 3 back surgeries this past year so it's been challenging for me.I was not given the go ahead to exercise again until the beginning of Dec. Exercise is really important for my moods, so it's been depressing. I gained back 10 lbs but it feels more like 25. Losing muscle has made a huge difference in how I look and how my clothes fit.

Also, my relationship broke up and dating is very discouraging. I'm trying to stay upbeat and going back to the gym this week has really improved my mood. I tried to start 5:2 this week, but was lousy at fasting. I want to do it again, since I had so much success with it before.

It's really good to hear from you and I'm really glad to hear you're doing well in maintenance and in your life!

I'll be honest I've been off the site for a while but felt the need to reconnect this week so glad to see your post.

I AM sad to see that the true VET forum is gone. I always enjoyed being able to communicate with many long term vets versus this maintenance thread. To me, vet was much more than maintenance. Oh, well. I'm sure that's been hashed and rehashed.

I love that u tossed the scale. I did too but, um, not same results. Ha! Too much easy slide junk food so now back on the wagon and losing 20 lbs of regain. Done it before and will again

Like you and others, almost six years out and SLEEVE did change my life! I just turned 62. 62! How is that possible? ????

Thanks for your post and continued success!!

I am back. Lol looking for people who had failed lap bands and revised to a different surgery. I am leaning towards RNY.

Thank you so much for returning to this site and posting your story. I need all the wisdom, insight, and inspiration I can get!