Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't get a lap band

@@Stupid Me --

he purpose of the band is, as @@Bandista said, to dim the appetite. You report not feeling hunger, which suggests that eating whatever and whenever you wanted was no more than individual choice. If not that, I have to wonder whether you were given the information needed before surgery in order to make a sound decision and have reasonable expectations.

It's also unclear whether you actually had any fills. Or what the bump may be.

I don't know what, if anything, the army requires in the way of clearances before performing bariatric surgery. If the prospective patient doesn't demonstrate an understanding of the purpose of surgery, what is reasonable to expect of it, or understanding of the instructions and capability to follow them, the surgery shouldn't be performed. As "they" say, "Jus' sayin.'"

As to an emotional breakdown, I really do hope that was supposed to be a joke.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I agree 100% it is not what they said it was supposed to be. I got info and when I had it did nothing of what it said. I never got restriction only eat or puke no happy middle so I happily puked 125 pounds off. The band doesnt work for everyone even if they follow rules! This person needed someone to say I understand and the band can suck sometimes not judgement.

I was unsuccessful with the band for several reasons. I wasn't ready. I could eat as much as I wanted and didn't feel full. I didn't have support from my husband. I have an insulin resistance issue and while I was eating less, it still wasn't working. Horrible acid reflux - even with no restriction. I never lost weight, except for the initial 30 pounds prior to the surgery since I was on the liquid diet.

Fast forward 4 years later and I am scheduled for Gastric Bypass. I do have support from my husband. It will solve my insulin issue. I realize you stop eating before you feel full and many more reasons. More importantly, mentally, I am ready. It is a better option for me. Everyone has their own journey. I will say that the band is not for everyone and I would do your research before taking that option.

"I just ate what wanted when I wanted " tells a big part of the story . Although the band can help cut down the quantity of food you take in, it can't decide on the type of food you take. Thats YOUR choice. While everyone has a different experience with the band, I couldn't be happier with mine. Yes, it took some time to get the fills and green zone on track, I knew going in it would be somewhat time consuming , but that was part of being banded. December 13th was my 4 year anniversary, I followed the rules 95% of the time and started loosing immediately. Best decision ever !!

"I just ate what wanted when I wanted " tells a big part of the story . Although the band can help cut down the quantity of food you take in, it can't decide on the type of food you take. Thats YOUR choice. While everyone has a different experience with the band, I couldn't be happier with mine. Yes, it took some time to get the fills and green zone on track, I knew going in it would be somewhat time consuming , but that was part of being banded. December 13th was my 4 year anniversary, I followed the rules 95% of the time and started loosing immediately. Best decision ever !!

I hope it keeps working for you for sure. Everyone has to figure out what the right surgery for them is. I made the wrong decision for me sadly because I was scared to death to get cut on inside. I finally gave in and wish I chose this in the first place. I am pretty sure the sleeve is the right one for me. I finally feel the restriction I could never accomplish all those years. The sleeve smacks my hand like I am a child which is exactly what I needed lol I can tell by your chart that you are doing awesome. Keep up the good work!

"I just ate what wanted when I wanted " Sleevers won't succeed with that life style either.

I have done everything to a T (mostly) that my doctor has suggested. I've lost 140 lbs in 18 months. No longer diabetic. No high blood pressure. No seat belt extenders. Now buy clothes anywhere

I was ready. And it worked for me.

Do your research. I for one wouldn't rule out the Lapband.

I was banded first in 2004, small lap band lost 26 kilos. By 2010 it was embedded in my stomach, because of having to much Fluid in it. I had reflux, heart burn and GORD. Had operation to replace this small lap band with a bigger lap band, which was ok but no significant weight loss, if I didn't have enough fluid in it, was useless, if I had too much fluid in it then reflux heart burn came back. Last year the bottom of my osophagus split (very painful) the band was emptied of fluid. I decided to have the band taken out and I am now waiting three months to have VSG done.