Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of Answering the Same Questions Over and Over? - Help Requested for Solution!

"Dramatic much?" -- good thing you're smiling. Truth is truth, after all, and too much drama is never enough.

No, your truth is not my truth at all, and yes, over the top drama simply for effect is far too much *in my opinion*. Glad you own it, though.

I think it's a good idea, but I wouldn't call it FAQ's. The term has adopted a new meaning that doesn't suit what's being discussed in this thread.

Essentially, the term FAQ now means questions that a vendor or supplier get asked frequently by their customers/users. Further, these tend to be questions with "black and white" answers.

My suggestion for those who are tired of answering the same question would simply be to not answer it.

I, for one, have zero interest in hearing what people think "right and wrong" is. Hopefully, we all have guidelines from our doctors that spell this out.

I do think it makes interesting reading to find out that some doctors say things like alcohol is okay after 6 weeks, but no coffee for 6 months.

I am very interested in hearing from real people, about real situations - both triumphs and failures.

I probably wouldn't even read an FAQ section where veterans posted there own ideas on right and wrong.

@@Cape Crooner --

I've seen only FAQ's that are "b&w" references since browsing my first. One BP member [sorry, your name is on the tip of my tongue] suggested above that it have a different title, which may come to pass. The understanding here is that BP's section, too, will be factual, not a collection of personal opinions and experiences. @@tcrehm proposed the new section to end or at least cut down on endlessly-repeated questions to spare vets and help newcomers. Some aspects will be tricky to compile, given that not all bariatric practices give identical instructions, but it can be done. The chief route around the difficulty will be the disclaimer to follow the "rules" of one's own practice.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Did my doctor really perform surgery? I can still eat ...

I never said it to anyone at the time, but I wondered that one. Now look at me. I sneer at the askers behind their backs. It's lovely to be superior and jaded.
Sneer? Superior? Jaded?

Dramatic much? :D

In all my time on this forum, FB groups, other WLS discussion boards, etc., I have read ONE story where the author actually had proof of such suspicions. Even she had surgery performed, however, the stomach simply wasn't made as small as it should have been.

Never have I read/heard of someone who went in, went under, and came back with no WLS when advised they had it.

You?

Actually yes. From a nurse practitioner in a bariatric practice. The patient had gotten band surgery in another country and was coming to this practice for follow up stateside. They attempted to fill her band, but nothing was happening. They had a CT done and found there was never a band placed, only the port to fill the nonexistent band.

How about the perennial "I just got my period. Will the surgeon postpone my procedure?"

Suggestions for the FAQ portion that gives tips for making the most of BP:

1) Write a subject line that gives a clue to the subject matter.

Because, and not necessary in this order:

a) It saves other users time on clicking in to topics they can't help with or that don't interest them.

B) It will attract those who can make good contributions.

c) It will attract those who may learn something along with the OP.

d) It will not lose the people [like me] who ignore "A Question" or "Hi, I'm New," et al., expecting a pointless message and are rarely disappointed in that regard.

2) Write messages that clearly communicate what it is that you're asking.

Readers will not have to second guess. They'll be saving time if they understand you and can respond in a helpful way the first time.

(P.S. I did not put that stupid doodad in there. It forced its way through the door.)

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Me, again, with another suggestion. The maneuver is old and it works. People I've given it to through the years have been happy to know it. it's basic post-op and comes up often enough in one way or another in BP that it's worth including.

While incisions remain sore, firmly press a bed pillow against your midsection if you need to cough, sneeze, laugh or do anything else that will jar you. The pillow will brace you and minimize discomfort.

There are some old FAQs as stickies that I read when I first joined. Maybe just add on? There are also suggestions of what to add on those threads...

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/205249-frequently-asked-questions/

How about calling it "The Top 50 from Vets to you... with a bow on it"

or

"VAQs" Veterans Answer Questions

My personal fav is "I am 2 1/2 weeks out and have stopped losing weight!".... followed by the 3 week stall talk. Prefaced by the admonishment of "Listen to your Doc and Nut" of course.

A list of abbreviations was just posted. It looks as though the poster will ask that it be pinned. It could probably be include in FAQ when the time comes.

Another suggestion from me: Ask new participants at least to put their chosen surgery procedure and the date/expected date in profile. The info is often pertinent when trying to give useful responses. This would be part of the "welcome, here are tips for getting started" communication from BP, but highlighting it elsewhere would help. Many leave blanks.

@ashlegal. Good points all!!

Protein Drink reviews. Not just individual preferences, but what you liked and why (sweetness, texture, grittiness, artificial sweeteners, chemical aftertaste, lactose content, etc)

Protein drink reviews. Not just individual preferences, but what you liked and why (sweetness, texture, grittiness, artificial sweeteners, chemical aftertaste, lactose content, etc)

Not a good topic to include as the input is purely subjective. What one person thinks is wonderful makes the next person gag.