Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have been walking everyday and not changing my diet for the worse. I haven't been eating great but my surgery us Nov. 9 and my Pre-op first is set for Nov. 1. I have gained so much weight!! Is it stress? Water? What? It's making me so nervous for my physical. I have been approved and the date is set. There is no way I won't have it right? God I'm so scared!! And I have no clothes that fit me cause I'm gaining. I just bought some sweatpants and I look like..well I hate it! I wish my surgery was yesterday I'm so anxious!

I haven't been eating great

I'm going to guess this is your answer? You said your pre-op stage doesn't start until Nov. 1st right? I'm guessing that's when you start your liquid diet? At this point I wouldn't worry, as long as you stick to the pre-op plan so that your liver shrinks I don't see how they could cancel weight loss surgery on account of you being fat.

They say stress causes hormone changes that cause weight gain. Maybe the stress of this upcoming huge event is to blame. I agree with perforce, how can they refuse the surgery due to weight gain when you have been approved. I am sure your team has seen this before. If you are really scared call the Drs office and talk to someone. Maybe the y woudl have you go on the liver shrink diet sooner. Good luck.

I had a date set, all my tests/screenings/labs complete and in the final weigh in before submitting the packet to insurance I had gained TWO POUNDS. A whole two pounds. When the packet was submitted, I weighed two pounds higher than I did the first month of weigh ins and was denied.

Having a surgery date doesn't mean you have been approved by your insurance company. My surgery was changed three times before I was officially in the operating room. Surgeons, their staff, the surgical center, their staff are busy individuals and don't like scheduling surgeries "last minute", so they "pencil in" surgeries as tentative.

Another issue is the liver shrink. It is imperative that your liver is of a certain size to complete the surgery safely. Some people don't lose any weight during their pre-op and are denied surgery. Gaining is an even bigger problem.

The whole idea behind pre-op is about prep. Prep for the surgery to be safely completed, prep for you to prepare for the incredible change in eating habits after surgery, prep for the mental expectations you'll endure after surgery, prep for the dedication it will take to make your surgery successful.

Stress, hormones, not eating right

I f I had gained any weight during my six month supervised diet I would have been denied immediately. I was not required to lose, just not allowed to gain.

I might suggest jumping on the liver cleanse diet right now. It will literally only add a few days to yours and honestly it is not that hard and the pay off to your liver will be great. I know mine was 10 days of liquid only. I lost 17 lbs in those ten days. I was shocked how well I did and how I tolerated the program.

You definately want the safest surgery possible. This is just a suggestion, I certainly do not know what your insurance requirements are and they are all different.

I have been approved by insurance. It has been deemed medically nessary so since it was approved by insurance I should be ok. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen?

I have been approved by insurance. It has been deemed medically nessary so since it was approved by insurance I should be ok. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen?

I gained six pounds during the eight months I saw my doctor before my surgery. My insurance has basically the same rules as Djmohr - I wasn't required to lose weight, but I couldn't have any net gain, either. I was panicking at the end. I'll be honest - I took diuretics every day for a week and stuck religiously to my LS diet. I lost some weight, and I ended up with a net loss of three pounds. For me, that one weigh-in could have delayed my surgery, even though I'd already received the approval from my insurance company.

From what I've seen on this forum and others, a lot of people seem to gain a little before surgery, and I think that we who do probably all tend to freak out about it. Give yourself a break, take a deep breath, and do your LS diet. :)

Out of curiosity, what surgery are you having?

be careful about not eating right...weight gain could delay your surgery

At Newton Wellesley, they have a weigh-in the day of surgery and they cancel anyone who's gained weight.

I went on the 5:2 diet the day after my first weigh-in and the 1700 calorie diet 3 weeks later after my first meeting with the surgeon/NUT. They cut me to about 1000 calories 5 days before surgery and I went in down 30 pounds (about 40% of my loss goal achieved).

So far, I have had an incredible recovery and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I lost 30 pounds in 2 months, which meant there was a lot of room in my torso for the surgeons to maneuver (my surgery only took about 30 minutes). I have also heard that the high Protein pre-opt diet strengthens the stomach tissue, which results in a firmer staple/suture hold and faster recovery.

If I was going in on the 9th, I'd go on a 1000/calorie high Protein diet today!

I f I had gained any weight during my six month supervised diet I would have been denied immediately. I was not required to lose, just not allowed to gain.

I might suggest jumping on the liver cleanse diet right now. It will literally only add a few days to yours and honestly it is not that hard and the pay off to your liver will be great. I know mine was 10 days of liquid only. I lost 17 lbs in those ten days. I was shocked how well I did and how I tolerated the program.

You definately want the safest surgery possible. This is just a suggestion, I certainly do not know what your insurance requirements are and they are all different.

Outstanding advice.

@@kristenkek you said you wanted your surgery right away ?

Why not do something that will have direct results over it being a safer surgery !!!!!!

Get busy right now. Don't wait around.