Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone go through Tricare Prime?

First and foremost, based upon my own waffling in the beginning I can say you are not alone with it. My surgeon told me immediately that he would not recommend the lap band for me because it did not appear that I am a binge eater. I am not a binge eater. That was not something I expected to hear, but I was not especially interested in the band. I have heard many instances of problems that resulted in ending up with a completely new procedure, for various reasons. For me it was "Why the RNY versus the Sleeve?" He said," your insurance won't pay for the RNY (true) and if your concern is about the nutritional supplements that you will have to take for the rest of your life (RNY) there is little difference for people with the sleeve." I don't think it really worth your paying out of pocket, and I say that despite the fact that I will make more money if you pay out of pocket." So, I am going to have the RNY on 23 Nov with TRICARE PRIME paying for it.

Am I nervous and bit anxious? Yes Do I think it will be a cake walk? No But, I do have a supportive and confident surgeon. I think that if I were having the same conversations that you are having with him, I would find a new surgeon. I have to feel we are on the same team and that he believes that what he is doing is best for me too. It is hard enough dealing with naysayers in my social/family circle. I don't need that from my surgeon. Unless he tells you why one versus the other and convinces you that he is right....it is time to find someone you really trust and can talk freely with about this conflict. That is my two cents worth! Good luck and I really mean that.

Im going to Del Sol in El Paso, which a center of Excellence. I know my surgeon won't even take about the band because of all the health risk people get from it. Apparently the lapband started in Europe and there is now a ban on it because of the problems that arrise from having it done it.

I am at fort Gordon, have tricare prime and we have a surgeon that does sleeve and they(nutrition, psyc bariatric nurse, and surgeon) have more so favored the sleeve and have coaxed us in our group sessions to choose the sleeve. I can't remember how they described it, but basically being the new age wls. Anyways I went to PCM asked them to refer me due failed documented attempts at weight loss. They set me up for the "super Tuesday" 8 hour day of knocking appts and support group out. I've been on the journey with appts through nutrition classes and one psyc appt. Was just approved to go ahead and schedule my pre-op with the surgeon. Now if I could just get the bariatric nurse to return my phone call I'll be good to go. Lol

Eisenhower also have surgeons on staff to do sleeve RNY and band.

Edited by ar1kah12

Does anyone know if tricare prime retired have to wait to wait the 6 months like most seem to do? I meet with the surgeon for the first time in a few weeks but just wondering. Don't I've near a military base if that matters.

I know this thread is old but so encouraging ! I was told that it would take 3 weeks for my surgery to get approved. Hopeful that it will me in a week or less like some of ya'll. All of my prerequisites will be done January 30th. Was hoping for a February surgery date.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

anyone suffer from PCOS that was approved through Tricare prime? I am going to talk to my endo on Thursday...I am at the end of my rope with all of this.

Question for the whole group. I retired a few years ago. My wife is considering a Gastric surgery for weight loss.
Will Tricare cover us for her to have it? Any information is greatly appreciated.