Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I've been on this (awesome) site/app looking around for a couple of months while awaiting my surgery and going through the requirements. I've noticed that on here, instagram, YouTube, and tumblr, most of the people who have had the VSG sleeve done all seem to be around the high 200s to mid 300s pound range. I was wondering if there are any good stories of people who were 400+ lbs who got the VSG done instead of the RNY?

I know the RNY is more common for people with more weight to lose.

If anyone here would like to share their success stories I would be super appreciative! Or, if you happen to know of any blogs/youtubers/instagram accounts that are going through their process that started out in the 400+ range I would be forever grateful!! Thanks so much :)

I was sleeved April 20 of this year. My high weight was 565 and I was 413 at my 6 month follow-up. I have a long way to go but could NEVER have lost this much without the sleeve and following the post-op program since my metabolism had pretty much shut down.

I couldn't be happier with my surgery choice, my surgeon, my recovery, and my progress.

When choosing the type of surgery to have, the amount of weight you have to lose really doesn't matter, as far as I can tell.

Best of luck in making your decision.

I started at 403, and I'm down 67 pounds since surgery 71 days ago.

One of the "good" things about starting out high (as if there are any GOOD things!!!!), is that you tend to lose a lot quickly. This is very motivating. It's easier to avoid Snacks knowing that when you step on the scale the next morning, you'll be down in weight from today.

I didn't have a stall until the last two weeks - I was very lucky. And my stall is not staying at the same weight for weeks, it is losing a pound in three days instead of a pound (or more) a day.

My surgeon recommended the sleeve because it can tolerate medications better than the bypass. I have some orthopedic issues, and have to take Tylenol.

He did say that in his experience, for the sleeve, some of his larger patients have to be converted to duodenal switch a couple of years down the road to get to goal. Then he told me that he knew I wouldn't need that, as I'm one of the most determined patients he's had in a long time. Now he may say that to all his patients, who knows, but I am determined!

I was well over the 400 lb mark when I began this process. In fact, I wasn't too many pan pizzas away from the next mark.

I always assumed that I'd get back on Adkins diet and kill it in the gym and get my weight back under control again. Back & leg injuries earlier this year kept me from doing any type of gym work.....and even made doing my job impossible for a several weeks.

I knew it was time to take more aggressive action and do something that would help me lose weight wile still healing from these nagging & reoccurring injuries. I assumed I'd need gastric bypass for the simple fact that my younger sister had it done 15 years ago and has maintained incredible weight & health ever since.

I consulted two surgeons and went through classes with each as well as two nutritionists. By the end, my surgeon helped me to see that the sleeve was the best choice for me. This, in no way, means it's best for everyone. Each patient has unique demands and needs. You have to take all that into account, along with your surgeon's advice.

I'm only 6 days out from my surgery, still recovering, sore as hell from the hernia repair and waiting on the post-op inflammation to clear from my abdomen and the 9 new holes in it. I say that to say this.....I regret not one part of it. I'm glad I had the surgery. It's going to be a huge aid in my new way of living. I will get lean, stay lean and build my strength.

I had my 47th birthday last month. I am going to feel 15 years younger by my next birthday. By my 50th, I'll most likely feel better than I did on my 30th.

There has been zero pain from the sleeve portion of the surgery. I have to pull my shift up and look to prove that I've had it. The only pain has been from the umbilical hernia repair and it is less than it was on two previous open repairs.

On day 4, 5 and 6 I've been able to get in 3 Protein shakes each day. On days 5 & 6 I've been able to drink as much Water as I've wanted, but making myself drink at least 8 24oz cups per day. No gulping or chugging. Just frequent small sips.

Life is good. The tool has been delivered. There are no excuses, no whining, no complaining. It's time to get busy and get lean. There will be no compromises.

I was 414 at my highest weight and 412 DOS. A year later and down over 100lbs. The difference is night and day! So much more energetic and pain free. The bonus for me is that non weight related issues are even improved. I have severe allergies. In the past I was always having outbreaks and several times needed to go to the ER for treatment. Once I had a bad reaction and was hospitalized in a medically induced coma. I am happy to report I have not been to the ER in over a year! That is absolutely major for me. Being sleeved at this weight rather than RNY may take a bit longer to hit goal, but it definitely can be done. I'm hoping to be in the 200 at my next doctor's appointment on the 2nd.

Hi! I'm glad you started this post because I was interested in reading about other 400+ stories.

I was 450 when I started my pre op liquid diet.

Day of sugery, August 18, 2015 is was 425.

It'll be 2 months post op tomorrow & I've lost 57lbs.

I'm lucky to not have any complications. I did have a stall for a couple weeks & really struggled mentally with that.

I had a 2 month follow up & was told if I increased my calories from 500 to 800 I would loss better. Time will tell!

Good luck to you!

HW was 463, SW was 445 on 1/15/15. As of this morning, 9 months later, I'm 294 (down 170 pounds) and my life has already changed so much. I plan to hit my goal of 200 gone by my one year checkup. I have had only 1 stall in all this time and lose 2-3.5 lbs a week (although I know that won't last).

Even though I'm still very overweight, I feel better now than I ever have in my life. The only problem now is I'm running out of clothes and live in a rural area and don't have easy access to a Goodwill. :) I'm following my eating plan and exercising regarly. A goal of mine is to do a 5K this spring and be able to jog most of it.

I chose the sleeve mostly because I was afraid of malnutrition issues. With the sleeve I had problems with exhaustion in the beginning that went away when I was able to up my calories a bit. I think that a person can succeed with either option as long as you've researched the procedure, know the pros/cons and are prepared for the work that goes into it!

Good luck!

HW was 463, SW was 445 on 1/15/15. As of this morning, 9 months later, I'm 294 (down 170 pounds) and my life has already changed so much. I plan to hit my goal of 200 gone by my one year checkup. I have had only 1 stall in all this time and lose 2-3.5 lbs a week (although I know that won't last).

How awesome congratulations on your success so far!! Very inspirational!

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far, I am loving these stories and I really appreciate it!!

I'm a VSG who on the day of my surgery I weight 463lbs. That was almost 10 months ago. About 18 months ago I weighted close to 580lbs, and as of two nights ago I am down to around 281. So yeah I would indeed say that the VSG will work as far as you losing weight. I choose this route for I wanted the least evasive surgery out of the 3 options I had, with the better success rate I felt for me. Any choice you make to try and lose the weight and become healthier is a going to be the better choice than to do nothing at all and continue to just gain and gain. Good luck to you and whatever decision you choose to make.

Edited by BigTink2LilTink

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm scheduled for surgery in two days. I chose the sleeve over the bypass due to concerns about dumping syndrome and malnutrition even though bypass is probably better for someone my size. My highest weight was 410 two months before I started pre op. I imagine I was heavier when I started pre op. I've lost approximately 20lbs so far. I am so excited for Thursday! I am in my second day of the all clear liquid diet and I'm HANGRY!

Here's a youtubeer who started her journey at over 400lbs. She's a few years out now but she I found her videos to be really great: https://www.youtube.com/user/LessofSarah