Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else from east-end of Toronto??

I live in north-east Scarborough, and was wondering if there are any others out in this area. From the reading I've been doing it seems like all activities, meetings, etc. are out in the west end.

My surgery will be at Humber Hospital (400 and Finch) because that is where the Dr works out of -- but other than that I'm generally an east-end person.

Another question while I'm at it -- has anyone here had Dr. Klein?? Just curious since most folks seem to be from the TLBC.

MaryPat (now on day 4 of Optifast :sick)

Hi. MaryPat:

I've heard Dr Klein is great. I had initially wanted to go to Humber but the wait for the initial appointment was 8 mos., then supposedly another 8 mo. before the surgery. I couldn't wait that long. Best of luck on your up-coming surgery.:clap2::clap2:

Very strange ... my family doctor sent in her referral and I heard from Dr. Klien's office within about a week ... I filled in their patient survey mailed it to them, and 2 weeks later I had an appointment. From my initial consultation 'till surgery as you can see in my signature will only be a little less than 3 months. If you have not already made other plans, check out his website MIS Group The "new patient" form is online so you will now what they ask about ... then you need the referal from you family doctor ... For me it was that simple and that fast .... since we have to pay for our surgery -- now, I am paying $17,000 and I've heard that some of the other Toronto area clinics only charge $16,000 - so that may play a part in your choice -- My family doctor was the one who suggested I look into bariatric surgery (in general) and she felt that this was the best place to refer me to. So far I'm pleased -- at my inital meeting he straight out asked if we needed to have a financial discussion or if we could have a medical discussion -- we choose medical but he still explained both types of surgery, their pros and cons, the OHIP vrs pay ourselves, and then addressed my specific problems and concerns - I never felt pushed one way or the other but rather that he truly was treating this as a medical issue -- time was my critical concern Bypass would have been 2-3 years, and I would probably be in a wheelchair by that time, so to keep my mobility (and with hopes of improving it) we decided to do the band rather than wait.

Don't know if this helps any, but that's my story so far ....

Hi Crafty Lady - interesting how much we learn on these sites. I am going to the Surgical Wt Loss Clinic - self-referral with a banding date of August 24th - I had to work around my vacation time - because this is considered cosmetic and elective surgery in Ontario, I do not qualify for sick time either. Luckily, despite being significantly off the scale for obesity, my health is still good (can't walk well, knees hurt, back hurts, short of breathe when I do get somewhere - but still really healthly :rolleyes:). I chose the clinic for a couple of reasons - access was quick, atmosphere is positive, staff were welcoming, place is clean. I will have a 1 hr 45 minute drive in, but I don't think that will be a barrier. I will be interested in your experience at the hospital as opposed to a clinic - as a nurse I have a hard time thinking of the banding as being "surgery" and really liked the idea of a clinic environment. I wish we had a more progressive government that saw the value of minimally invasive treatments for obesity vs. gastric bipass, but I don't have the time for them to wake up. I'm just looking forward to getting on with this process and my life.

I have heard of Dr. Klien as well. There is a bariatric department at humber and he is one of the main guys there. It took a long time for me to hear from them as well. I originally wanted the gastric bypass because the government may have paid for it. As I thought more I realized I didn't want something so permanent. I couldn't imagine taking a perfectly good digestive system and changing it forever just because it may be free. So I had the band done at TLBC and am very happy. I think you will be happy as well.

Cindy_D, I'm surprised that you cannot get sick days for the band as you are a nurse. Do you not have benefits that cover your sick days? Or short term disability insurance/ income protection as part of your benefits package? I took 7 business days off and talked with HR. At first they weren't sure whether they were going to cover it or not, but when I told them I had high blood pressure and intestinal problems, they covered it under short term income protection as I'm allowed 6 consecutive sicks days. On the 7th day, short term income protection kicks in. I didn't care that much (after the fact) if they didn't cover me, as I would have just used my vacation or personal days. Are you sure you're not covered? I would talk to HR or your nurses union. You know you do not have to tell your employer what the surgery is (even though this is elective). Good luck on your surgery.

Hi Cindy

I'm getting banded on August 15 by Dr Coburn I called the clinic today and asked if I could get a doctors note that is not on the "Surgical weight loss" letterhead. They said no problem. I am going to be using sick time. Last year I had a hysterectomy but my doctors note didnt say that. It said ssaid something like: this person will be away from work for 6 weeks to recover from surgery and general anasthecia it was then signed by the OB/GYN, but it just said Doctor Sharma. Hopefully you will be able to use sick time

Michee I suppose if I chose to fib about the procedure I could use sick leave, but our attendance policy is very clear - cosmetic surgery is not covered under short term illness. As a manager in charge of ensuring the policy is implemented in my areas, I could not in good conscious be dishonest. Plus I have something like 7 weeks of vacation built up - I have to take some of it sometime and this looks like as good a time as any.