Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome Elaine_U. Keep up the liquids, and keep up the walking. It all helps in a quick recovery. I had my operation on the 21st (last week) and feel like I can do regular normal (not strenuous) activities without discomfort.

Hey all-

I was banded yesterday, and I am doing pretty well. I was surprised how quickly they sent me home from the hospital...my surgery was at 7:30, and I was home by 1 o'clock. I was in a good amount of pain yesterday, but am feeling better today. My doc has given my Tylenol with codeine, which I am trying to use sparingly, as it makes me groggy. Luckily, my mom is here running after my 10 month old. I don't think I could have done it on my own.

Cyndi- good luck when you head back to school, and keep drinking!

Elaine- welcome and congratulations on your banding! My doctor has me on any liquids that are sugar free for 2 weeks along with 1 Protein Shake a day. I have not really had more than Water or Jello so far because of lack of appetite. I have been sucking on some sugar free lifesavers because my throat got a little irritated from the breathing tube. Good luck to you and don't go back to work if you are not ready!

~jen

I feel much better today. Glad to hear that you are also on the two week liquid diet. I manage one small Protein shake a day and then sip liquids continually after. I started Vitamins yesterday and I feel fine. Others have been encouraging me to start thicker liquids but it's only day four and I don't want anything yet. I'm not hungry, I feel fine! I'm healing and waiting for the rest of the swelling to go down. Like I told my Mom Sunday, I've had hangovers worse than this! I just need to live through it. Juices, Water, & crystal lite tea are enough for for me for now. I'm going to go back to work tomorrow. Today was the day I said I would go back but I wasn't ready. Tomorrow I will be.. I will let you all know how that goes... Thank GOD I work with a great group of people. They are not rushing me or pressuring me at all. I keep calling to make sure everything is going ok and they tell me to quit calling!

Elaine

Banded 8/24/07

Top wt. 304

Surgery wt. 294 lbs.

Elaine-

I am glad that you are feeling well. I have been drinking the same things as you, and am not interested in anything else. What kind of Vitamins are you taking? chewable? I bought Viactiv flavor glides, which are little chewy squares kind of like a starburst, but I don't know if I will be able to tolerate those yet.

Good luck on your first day back at work!

Centrum chewables (orange) and a Calcium chewable that's like little caramels. They're both good! The bloating I had has subsided a lot. I'm getting mild burp pains, but other than that, I'm good. I feel so much better today! I still feel the gas moving around but the shoulder pain is gone. I can lay on my sides now without feeling any pain. I'm usually a fast healer... I'm going to try to stick to the liquids for two weeks and then go to mushy stage. My sister was in the mushy stage after a few days but I want to do what my doc says. I need to get the Protein for sure because I don't want my hair to start falling out! The broths are soothing and satisfy me for now so I'm going to keep drinking them. And I'll force myself to have the Protein shakes. UGH! I'm going to get them over with first thing in the morning. Oh well! I'm going to do whatever it takes to make this work!

Elaine

Hey Elaine-

You and I seem to be very similar! I had the shoulder pain as well, but it has subsided today. I also am feeling the gas moving around a bit, but not too bad. I tried using Gas-X strips today...you just let them melt on your tongue. I think they helped a bit. I have also been drinking Isopure...it is a clear fruit drink that has 40 grams of Protein in a 20 oz. bottle. It comes in all kinds of flavors. At first, I felt like it left a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, but I have pretty much gotten used to it and don't mind the taste so much. You may want to consider it if the shakes are really giving you a hard time. I think you can buy it online, or in Vitamin stores like GNC or the Vitamin Shoppe. I don't know if you have them where you live.

I am glad to hear you are doing well...we seem to be on the same track!

Congratulations Jennigan,

Welcome to bandland. Sounds like you've made a great transition and drinking your Isopure. Me too! And that thing about losing hair -- I pull out handfuls per day, theres no way around it.... part of the process.

Also a belated congrats to Elaine. You "twins" are gonna be the best of friends. By Christmastime you both will be HOT

Happy Hugs,

Thanks Patty!

I am 3 days post-op, and I feel great! I was able to pick up the baby today, and although the Isopure still tastes a little nasty, I have been drinking it first thing in the morning for energy. My swelling is going down, and I am not very gassy today. I think I may even venture out to the store.

It's funny that you mentioned Christmas...I was just telling my husband that Santa might need to bring me a whole new wardrobe by then. He gives me a little grief about the idea of me on a shopping spree, but I know he is really happy for me!

How are you doing?

I'm still here... came back to work Wednesday and it was awful. I left at 3:00 and went home and crashed. Lortab to the rescue. Yesterday was better but had to go to a funeral so didn't get home til 9:00. Gas pains in shoulder were hard but I dosed myself, had a popsicle and went to bed. I'm really tired today. Still not hungry but getting a headache so I'm going to have a shake in a bit. Had some skim milk this morning, Water, and nothing else yet. Still a little bloated but a lot of the swelling has gone down. Was looking at before and after photos which made me feel better. I'm just really tired today. Work is quiet; only have a few things to finish up. Looking forward to a long restful weekend! Next weekend we are going out of town for a dollmaking class and a night in the hill country for my sister's birthday.

Hi Elaine! I am sorry to hear that you had a rough start back and work (and a funeral too!). It is good that you don't have to stress too much about work . I am a teacher and have no choice but to return to work on Tuesday...2 days of conferences and then 2 days with kids. I feel pretty good now, and have been out of the house and doing things already but I am nervous about my energy levels once I get back to work. I am surprised that you are still having shoulder pain...mine was gone after 2 days. Well, take it easy and enjoy your weekend! Keep those before and after pics on hand for those tough times!

No shoulder pain today... just tired. I feel for you being a teacher! Two of my best friends are teachers. Going through summer withdrawals! I think it's funny. I have to work all year long; they're not getting any sympathy out of me! I finally broke down and made my Protein Shake. I just wanna go home and lay down!

Hey....my ticker didn't work!

I see you wrote this in July - but I am just now on United and any and all weight treatment is EXCLUDED on their policy. I had previously been on BC/BS and on the road to a bypass, covered by them, but my company dropped them and went to United and they cover absolutely nothing - not meds, no diagnosis - nothing. Even their fat representative commiserated with me. Did you get yours covered with United??

Hi strawberry,

I don't know what to think about this but I am 1 week out of surgery and I called my dr's office today to inform them that the Protein shakes makes me feel really bad and besides I don't like them I don't even drink milk and the nutrionist told me to start on my "functional food meal plan" which consists of

Breakfast: 4-8oz - low fat yougrut, or cottage cheese

1-2 whole eggs or substitute

1 Protein shake or bar

Lunch: 3-4oz meat cooked

fruit or vegetables---eat until satisfied and the same for dinner

Hey Elaine-

I know you don't really like your Protein Shakes, but you may want to try having them in the morning rather that at night, so you have a little more energy during the day. I have been drinking Isopure first thing in the morning, and I definitely feel more energized afterwards. For the first hour or two I am up before I can get it all down, I feel like a slug. Maybe that can help you get through your work day a little easier.

~Jen