Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Triggered You?

I was watching the 20 pounds from my last diet come back on. I usually put all my weight back plus some. I could not stand the idea of weighing any more. I also couldn't stand the idea of announcing my next diet idea that I inevitably would fail at.

-Main reason was the unbearable back pains.. At 20 (now 23), I was feeling like I was 80.. couldn't walk for more than a minute or two without bawling and wanting to kill myself from the pain.

Which is officially gone now, in only 40lbs.

-Another reason is because I want to be active enough to see the world. Not only did my body feel 80, I chose to act 80 because of it.. Never wanted to go anywhere I had to walk around, no sight seeing etc. Those are things I use to enjoy and can't wait to get back into.

-I want to have children in a few years and do not want to risk complications due to weight.

-Diabetes is rampant in my family, I was 'pre-diabetic' which I didn't realize actually meant something.. so I'm nipping that in the bud RIGHT NOW!

-Someone else mentioned it, I never thought of it.. but so true.. the COST of plus size clothes is a pain. Although I have to get extended inseams for height and I wonder if they charge more for that too?

-Been overweight my whole life, and was itching with curiosity to see what it felt like to be an 'average' weight :lol:

The last straw for me was when I realized I was even too fat for my biggest "fat" clothes. Knowing by the end of this year I'd be 300lbs and that I was never ever going to lose it by myself.

For me it is a lot of things. I am tired of diets not working and everyone telling me I am not trying hard enough. I am tired of not being able to fin in a chair with arms. Not going to the movies, not going on trips in an airpaine. I miss that I cant take my nieces to the amusement park. I hate the fact that walking tires me out. I hat worring about if I am going to be chaifed because I was walking. I hate listening to all those doctors telling me I need to apply myself because I am too over weight. I hate seeing my legs swell If I am not moving enough. I hate having nice clothes in my closet and not being able to wear them.

I love me and I think I am pretty...Till I see a mirror or a picture...it is just not how I see myself.

It was so many different things for me. I started researching this, out of curiosity, wondering how it would be to have a "normal" sized body.

What really triggered me was a variety of things. I went to an amusement park and could hardly fit on a ride. The lap bar would barely stay on. My nephew had to PUSH it down as hard as he could to look it into place. My butt could hardly fit into the seat. I went to Six Flags in GA and the seat belt wasn't long enough, I had to get off the ride in front of my family and everyone standing there, because they don't have seatbelts "big enough" for someone like me. I am tired of going on airplanes and having to ask for a longer seatbelt, going down the aisle (barely) and having people look at me like "don't let her sit here, please, PLEASE don't put me next to the fat chick." Having people tell me I'm so pretty, I have pretty eyes/face/skin, but the topic about my body was taboo. I'm tired of not wanting to go places because I'll be sore the next day and/or I'll be out of breath walking around. I want to WANT to go shopping and not look for the biggest size they have.

Most of all, I want a long lifespan. I want to experience my life to the fullest. I want to have a husband, children, a successful job, and just be happy. With my weight now, that isn't going to happen.

My final trigger was being sent to the ER with two kidney stones/kidney infection, and hearing I had a slightly fatty liver at EIGHTEEN YEARS OLD.

Excuse my rant. :huytsao

I looked into surgery (bypass) when I was 19 years old after seeing Carnie Wilson on TV. I went to a seminar about it which is where I first heard about LapBand. Since I didn't know alternatives to rearranging your innards existed, I knew immediately I had to look into it.

I've taken my time researching and decided this was for me. There are several things that did it for me.

Feeling like I'm about to be decapitated in my own car by my seatbelt.

Getting asked when I'm due. I like to reply with something dripping sweet that makes them soooooo embarrassed for asking. It's my little bit of spite, I guess.

Going on a business trip and running across the airport terminal and feeling like I was going to DIE, but being afraid to ask for a ride from the carters because they'd just look at me and be disgusted little miss fat ass couldn't walk across the terminal.

BARELY fitting the airplane seatbelts, and feeling my butt squishing under the arms and into the next seat, where the people next to me looked disgusted.

realizing that 'm out of clothing options and I REFUSE to shop at Lane Bryant etc. I'm a tight size 26 but I will not go any higher because the only thing clothes-wise in my town is an absolute travesty. I mean, honestly. I think the vast majority of plus-size clothing is designed by bitter skinny minnies. Elastic waistbands and terrible cuts, prints that just shouldn't have been manufactured to begin with, much less turned into something a person has to wear on their body! It's what's inspiring me to want to make my own plus-size clothes line with my friend... even though I'll be too skinny to wear them :lol:

Everything has just piled up onto me lately, making me more and more determined to do this.

After being told since I was 7 that I was fat and worthless (I didn't get fat until I was 13, and I'm not worthless, dammit!) I have always thought of myself as fat and worthless. Until recently. I now know I'm just fat. And I'm ready to do something abuot it.

I had my Driver's License picture taken. And when the clerk handed me the License, and oh my God, there was a picture of my Mother on steriods............... When did I start looking like my Mother? and What the hell has blown my face up?...........................................within the month I had an appointment with my surgeon.

After a binge eating session which broke yet another diet I was reading a magazine and saw an article about a woman who had had it done and that was it - I knew I couldn't live the way I was living anymore and here I am nearly six weeks later and five days post op. I know this is the best decision I ever made.

• Tending to my mother in her last few weeks and realizing that I was seeing my future. I might not be able to prevent being bedridden and bathed and diapered by strangers, but by golly, it shouldn't take FOUR of them to roll me around in that bed!
  • Having to buy the biggest clothes of my life so I'd have enough outfits to go on a trip with my hubby.
  • Realizing that at the age we're at now, we could be going on little romantic getaways every MONTH, if it weren't such a production to outfit and transport my carcass!
  • Realizing I want to see my GRANDCHILDREN grown and married and having babies of their own.
  • Hearing my cardiologist tell me that I 'don't have' the two to three years it would take to pull off the necessary weight IF, I were even able to do it.

It was the photographs. The ones of me with my skinny boyfriend who loves me and thinks my beautiful in spite of the fat and the ones of me next to my skinny friends who all wear the nice clothes and never had any trouble finding a boyfriend. It was those photos that made me think...I don't want to be the big blob on everyones Facebook.< /p>