Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Triggered You?

I can really identify with the tired thing. I am a human dynamo now, I can cope with so much, whereas it all got on top of me before. The house was always a mess, I was behind with my study, the kids couldnt find clean clothes ....

Was pretty simple for me, I have never been afraid to die, I am just not ready. I gained ALOT of weight after quitting smoking 9 years ago. Because of the weight gain I have HBP, High Cholesterol, sleep Apnea, Diabetes, Neurapathy in my feet terribly. I have degenerative joint disease in my back and knees and my knees are shot now that the doc said if I do not get the weight off I will be in a wheelchair in a year or so. I also have a collapsed arch in my left foot and lots of preblems there. I lost both parents at a young age due to massive heart attacks and my Dad was in great shape when he died. I lost my Mom 4 years ago and 5 months later my sister gave birth to the greatest thing to ever happen to me and that was a little Boy. He is my pride and Joy, I watch him every day while she works and miss him when he is not around. I want to be able to go to his baseball games that will be starting in a couple years. Right now I cannot walk far to get to the fields and cannot go to his older Brothers games. Just about my whole family is obese and I went over to talk to my Uncle and Aunt about my decision to have this surgery 2 months ago. I told him that I did not want to end up like him, in a wheelchair and never leaving the house. I did not want to be like my Grandma, 2 other Uncles and my Mom and two other Aunts. So I was going to do something about it. He was all behind me and so very supportive...Well he passed away a week ago today from heart problems brought on by his obesity. He was over 500 lbs. Everyone has passed away now because of problems that came up by their obesity. I have one Aunt still alive, but she does not leave the house. So for all those reasons and to see my sunshine grow up into a man and marry and have children of his own is my dream and focus now. With my determination and support I know I will do it....

Thanks,

Rob

I have been overweight all my life but I have been thinking about this for 5 years. Many doctors were very negative, one even said I was lazy, about it until I found one who was supportive and gave me a referral that was when I started on this path. In Australia this is not yet a very common procedure. The last straw was that I was heavier than when I was pregnant (@130kgs) so I actually used the referral. I had a servere pre-clampsia during pregnancy and I still have the blood pressure. I feel extremely unfit and unable to play properly with my little girl and do my job properly. So my op is next week & I am scared as well as very nervous. I cant wait to wear my wedding rings again and be below 80kgs( my target then is to put the boobs back were god intended them to be not heading to Antaratica).

I am 60 pounds heavier than when I was 9 months pregnant with both my children. I no longer have an "arm pit" I have an underarm bulge with a fold of skin so deep that a razor can't get there to shave anymore. I LOVE to dance, and can't dance anymore. I hurt all over. Wiping and cleaning myself has become extrememly difficult. DISGUSTING! My house used to be immaculate. Now it is a total mess becuase I don't have the energy or the flexibility and strength to clean it. My hands no longer look like hands. They look like paws. My boobs are so big now that they literally choke me when I lay down to sleep. It's difficult to breathe. Not to mention I have to lean over to drink out of a wine glass. The stem bumps into my chest and I can't sip normally. Good grief.... I used to love to play in the floor with a dog or children, and used to watch TV Indian style. If I get down on the floor now, I need assistance to get back up and it hurts like hell. I dread a flight of stairs. I miss crossing my legs like a lady. My doctor recently increased my blood pressure medicine and my diuretics. I get kenalog shots for my arthritis. I'm sick of the whole mess and just want to be me again, not this monster that I see every day in the mirror. I am looking so forward to being banded!!!!!

For me there were three main reasons:

1) My Grandmother died at 59 due to complications from type II diabetes. I look just like her and carry my weight the same way that she did.

2) My 5 year old was diagnosed with high cholesterol. This was a wake-up call for my whole family.

3) Two weeks ago my overweight 47 year old mother was told that if she didn't take measures to get the weight off that she would not be able to walk within the next two years.

I don't want to end up like my Grandmother or Mother and I don't want to pass on this legacy to my two daughters. I am trying to stop the cycle with me.

A lot of things have motivated me, but this was my 'last straw."

My mom weighed around 260 pounds, same BMI as me, also with high blood sugar/prediabetes, but not treated. Otherwise, she was healthy, happy and active, like me. Last November she went in for a hysterectomy, came home and layed on the couch for 4 weeks. She developed a blood clot in her leg and died without warning. She would have been 65 today. She was my best friend.

My last straw was when my husband told me he was no longer sexually attracted to me and began sleeping in another room in the house. By the way....I ditched him 2 months before I was banded!!!

When I was flat on my back for 3 days from back pain because I overdid it again with exercise trying this time to lose this weight forever....one more time. When I falled this last attempt (#100) at weight loss with Atkins diet. Since I've gained 80 lbs. with my last preganacy I've tried for 10 yrs. to take the weight off. I am tired of the same cycle...lose 15 gain 20 ....you all know the deal. I find myself hiding in shame lately and worrying about my health too much.

My last straw was when my husband told me he was no longer sexually attracted to me and began sleeping in another room in the house. By the way....I ditched him 2 months before I was banded!!!

Hey! :clap2:

You lost around 200 pounds BEFORE banding with that decision, huh? Good for you!!!

Sorry I think I wasn't writing too clearly this morning~ I said that this was my 100th attempt in the past 10 yrs. to lose the 80 lbs. I gained with my last preganancy. Too many #s! :-):nervous

I've been looking into the band for over 2 years, but what really did it for me was when I hurt my foot in Decmber. A minor injury that should have healed quickly turned into plantar fasciitis in both feet (second one got injured limping from the first one) which made me want to scream in pain every time I took a step. Scary!! It took 6 months to start getting some relief and now 8.5 months later, I can mostly walk again.

Plus my 3 year old (the one with the devil's own gleam in his eye) can out run me. This is NOT a good thing. :) I need to be able to run as fast as my kids. (Hmmm. wonder if I could make a ticker for that?)

Band date: 8/14

weight.png

My last straw was when I could not get up from the couch without my face turning some shade of red.:embarassed: Also I was tired of not being able to have my right hand scratch my left arm, I am just too wide. I am tired of wearing slip on shoes. I am tired of editing my pictures on photoshop to get rid of my double chins and my side face fat.becky.gif I am tired of asking my husband if he digs fat chicks...to which he lovely lies, "Oh you know it baby."hug.gif I am tired of paying too much for plus size clothes.rant.gif I am tired of sleeping in the afternoon. I am tired of being hungryhungry.gif and crying,depressed.gif because I know if I eat more I will gain more.I am tired of my mom asking me, "Amy! How much do YOU WEIGH, and I AM only asking because I worry." (Which is a lie she just is fatphobic.)think.gif I am tired of rooting for Oprah to gain back her weight, so I don't feel so bad about myself. cheer2.gifOh my god if I keep going I am going to fill an entire page, and run out of smilies....but you get the idea. I don't know when I am getting banded, because there are no operating rooms available for August and I am going away in September, so it looks like it will be in October. Man I hate waiting. Thanks for letting me vent.

Cookie... you :) crack :) me up... I love your posts!!! Hang in here with us... we'll all do it together and love every minute of it!

:clap2:Good smiley usage!!!

My final straw was my Dad passed away in April from stomach cancer. I knew then that I had to make drastic changes in my life. It took me until July and everything below my waist hurting from the weight to realize the time is now.