Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Apetite Supressants for those tough pre-op and post-op diets?

Hi everyone! Interesting discussion, however I prefer to get off all types of medications - suppresants included. The lapband will do it's job just let it. I had the Lapband because I have weight related Diabetes. Had the Lapband 7/24/07. Have lost 18 lbs since starting pre-op diet. AND, now am off Glipizide for the Diabetes. My sugar levels are between 78 and 85, which is right where it should be. My advice to everyone is have patience and let your lapband work for you and listen to your surgeon. I'm very happy I have the Lapband.

Question: I get responses and receive them via my email. How do I respond to those who are responding to me. Getting to now this site. Thank you. Debra

Banded: 7/24/07

Starting weight: 7/13/07 at 232 lbs.

Current weight: 8/07/07 is 215 lbs.

Goal weight: 140 lbs.

Here are my thoughts. I would always discuss this with my doctor. They are on your side and if not get a new MD. I believe it is important to stay on your pre-op diet because it shrinks your fatty liver that most of us over weight people have. The doctor can place the band easier when the liver is not enlarged and these pre-op diets help to accomplish this. I would never judge anyone for taking any type of appetite control substance but I do think you should think about if you are really hungry or is it the mental stuff going on that make you want to eat. My MD told me that the one thing he could promise is that I would never feel the cravings to eat a huge plate of food as I wanted to do all of the time before the band. I have to say he was right. He also told me it was a tool and I would have to make the right choices. I have gotten three fills now and I believe that if someone feels this overwhelming hunger then it is time to get a fill. When you have the restriction you do not feel an overwhelming since of hunger. I do still struggle with wanting to munch for no particular reason (especially late at night) but that is part of my bad eating behaviors that I continue to struggle with. Good luck to you all!

Question: I get responses and receive them via my email. How do I respond to those who are responding to me. Getting to now this site. Thank you. Debra

Banded: 7/24/07

Starting weight: 7/13/07 at 232 lbs.

Current weight: 8/07/07 is 215 lbs.

Goal weight: 140 lbs.

Debra

You have to come back to the thread to respond - the email is just a notification that someone responded to a thread that you posted to.

I copy the link that is shown in the email (i am on aol and it doesn't allow me just to click in it to take you back to the site - but at work it does)

Then you answer - by either quoting 0r multi quoting....

Hoped that helped - I'm not always good at explaining - never could be a teacher :paranoid

My banding is on Friday. Given that, I really do not have the same perspective of those who are banded. Even after doing many months of research, attending classes and reading this board, the best I can do is *guess* what it must feel like and *guess* how it will support my own efforts. In fact, I am SOOOO ready to do the work....with the help of the band. Without the band....as during the pre-op diet.....not so much. But, for the sake of this disucssion here's *WHAT* I do know (from many, many, many previous experiences) ---how I feel when I am on a restrictive diet. Of all the hundreds of diets I've been on, I have NEVER been on a liquid diet. Naturally I was quite concerned about my ability to do it. Given my experiences and the anxieties I had about being on this pre-op liquid diet, my problem solving skills kicked in. As I frantically tried to figure out how in the he## I was going to do it, that's when the appetite suppressant idea kicked in. Essentially, I was looking for something to get me through it so that my liver would be less fatty and I could loose a few pounds. In my estimation, the pre-op liquid diet is not about learning how to eat. In fact, you don't EVEN EAT!!! LOL!!!

Even though I am on Day 11 of the pre-op without the pills, I am still convinced that they would have helped. Let me tell you.....I am hanging by a thread here! With 3 more days to go....things are NOT really getting any easier. Head hunger is one thing. I know that feeling and I have given in to that feeling sooo many times! No, this is real hunger. But, of course, none of that matters now. I'm here, I'm doing it and I am going to do it until Friday. And, then I'm doing to do the post-op liquid diet....with my band. The band is a tool. A much better tool than drugs. But, still.......

In any case....why am I not using appetite suppressants during the pre-op diet? Because the surgeon said *NO*. Done deal. Would I have liked to use them? YES!!!! Would I willfully disobey my surgeon? NO.

But, I think I would be much less miserable, cranky and out of sorts if I could have used them!!!

I had not thought of it at all, but I see how it would make sense, especially in the pre-op phase. As others have said I would talk to my dr. first, as some drugs interact with your anesthesia and then things can go really wrong in the OR.

Judi,

Stick to it, girl. You can do it. Only 3 more days. Try to imagine what you were doing 3 days ago. Three days in the future doesn't seem so long that way. You go, Girl.

You are going to make it and your are almost done! You can also hang on to the idea that a lot of people don't feel hungry for the first week or two after surgery so you will not have to worry about that hunger after surgery. You will eat your Soup because you know you need to nourish your body but you will not have that overwhelming hunger any more. You do have some pain that first week but it does get a little better each day and it is worth it! I wish you the best!

The reason I am getting the lap band is to get off the "drugs"...I was thinking I should be able to diet for just one week, then wait for the post surgery situation I experience...I hate the way I feel on diet pills.....after I quit, I feel so lifeless...

I believe this would be something to question your doctor about. A lot of the otc stuff makes your heart race because of a stimulant. Some affect the thyroid and if you have to stop it for surgery, it could cause a "withdraw" affect. Some people have negative reactions to them as well. I personally always had good results and it helps with appetite suppression and gives you the energy to workout. Unfortunately though you can get immune to it and have to switch, but for only one month prior to surgery would be good. One that I have found really effective is Lipo 6 but my heart does race. Hoodia didn't work for me because I never really feel hunger, just boredom so I munch. Hoodia comes highly recommended from people like Oprah. Alli doesn't seem too good if you have to eat a low fat and low calorie diet and fear of having an accident if you eat too much fat. My dr. said a slice of pizza would be considered too much fat. Not appealing. If I could do all that I wouldn't be fat!

I think if the Dr says okay I would try it, it could help. I am not trying to be negative. Everyone's experience with these things are there own. I just think you should check with your doctor. Good luck with your choice!