Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this realistic after rny?

I had a RNY 28 months ago. I lost a lot of weight very quickly. At 6 or 7 months I leveled off. At the end of the Weight Loss phase, I was totally unable to wear any of my clothes. I gave them all away. My wife is a seamstress and it was not worth the effort to tailor them.

On the other hand, I am a great shopper. I generally buy clothes at a 70-80% discount and I love to shop. This gave me the opportunity to buy the latest fashions for a completely new wardrobe. It was fun. I could shop at normal department stores again. On the journey down you will need only one or two sets of clothes. I would buy a pair of pants that I could barely fit into (provided I took a deep breath) then a week later it would fit like a glove. It was a great incentive (a NSV - non scale victory).

I, like DJMohr, only buy 2 or 3 pairs of pants at a time and a few tops. What has actually worked best for me is jeans with stretch fabric in them. I buy them a little tight and wear them until they are pretty loose, but they seem to follow my changing body better than non-stretch fabrics. Exciting to think about isn't it?

I have also recently discovered thred up. Great app for buying as well as selling used clothing

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I did end up buying a couple of XXL shirts. I had a butt ton of gap cash to spend so I wanted to make the most of my free money so to speak. :) nothing special just 2 waffle knot henleys and a sweater. I did stop short of buying anything expensive like this one sweater I reeeeaaallllyyyyy wanted because I have no idea if I'll ever wear it(too small this year might be too big next year) but I hate baggies and my current clothes are already baggy so I'm almost out of these and in my old clothes from 4 yrs ago. I have complete winter wardrobes from 28 down to 24 and a few decent 22's, I just want to know if it was possible to get to the XXL in that time frame at all because I wanted to buy a few things while they were basically free with my cash or if that is really not realistic at all. When I get to XL I'll not be worried because my daughter's wardrobe will be my new "shop" LOL I've been dressing her in my dream clothes for the past 2 years so once I hit there I'm golden! lol I don't buy pants before I need them though because I am a yoga pants mom so until they fall down and can't be stitched in an emergency, there's no need! ;) plus I have a whole bunch of maxi skirts and a decent amount of knowledge on how to take in a waist so I'll cut them down til I can't.

Where at in Colorado!? I use to live there. I go back every 3 months to visit my boyfriend :) but I totally get what you mean by planning in having the same problem! My surgery is next week and I don't think I will have anything to get me through the winter, which is bad because I live in Minnesota :)

I live in Highlands Ranch! :) how neat! Maybe we can meet up sometime when you are in town!

I get that you want to plan, but in buying certain sizes so far from hitting the correct weight, I really think you're setting yourself up for possible disappointment. This really is like wanting to hit a certain weight goal by a certain time period and feeling bad if you don't reach it. Can you buy items online if they are not available in the stores? I just think that might be a better way to go.

i won't be disappointed. I'd just rather be prepared than not have anything at all. I'm a pretty good ebayer ????

Another couple of ideas: find a good tailor who can alter clothes you currently have, for the interim time period. Select loose, flowy tops, stretchy leggings/pants made of a substantial knit (these tend to be easily altered), elastic waists for virtually everything - I found this to be very helpful immediately after surgery, also, it was more comfortable than set-in waistbands. Ponchos and loose sweaters seem to be on trend this winter - great for those losing substantially, and VERY cute! And again, keep receipts for those items that don't fit well/or you won't be using. Check out consignment shops...for low-cost interim fashions, too. Have fun with this!!!

oh girl, I hate baggy tents. I think they make people look bigger than they really are. That being said, I am a yoga pants and maxi skirt fiend and will be "modifying" them for as long as possible. :)

As for yoga pants, I have discovered danskin at Walmart.com. Love them! They come in petite which I need and 2 pair for like 22$. Can't beat it because they have plus sizes which I need right now!

there was a lightning sale on yoga pants at old navy yesterday. $11 plus 40% off and earn cash for future purchase. I don't know if it's still going, but I love old navy's yoga pants. They are a staple in my everyday wardrobe.

My plan is to keep a few pieces I love and tailor the hell out of them until I am no longer able to.

I also scour eBay where you can find clothing cheaply , it doesn't discriminate for the season and sometimes you can find items with tags still on!

There are also boards on this site for clothing sale/ exchange.

If all else fails, girl I'm currently a 16/18/20 and majority of my stuff is lane Bryant. My surgery is in January so I will keep you in mind when I start to shrink out of my clothing (fingers crossed I will shrink! Lol)

I'm also in Chicago so we should have similar clothing needs due to seasons.

thanks! yeah, definitely keep me in mind! Definitely for tops! :) I'm a tall girl leg wise anyway, so 32-33 inch inseams if it's pants unless I'm walking floodwaters. ????

@@Sajijoma

Ah, loose and flowy doesn't HAVE to be baggy...ewww what a word!!!! However, it can mean VERY sexy!!! Depending on the cut, the fit, the fabric, the style... it CAN work wonders while you are losing, and usually can be tailored easily. Take a second look, and of course, pick a quality garment, as it makes all the difference!!!! Good luck and have fun with this!!!

@@Sajijoma

Ah, loose and flowy doesn't HAVE to be baggy...ewww what a word!!!! However, it can mean VERY sexy!!! Depending on the cut, the fit, the fabric, the style... it CAN work wonders while you are losing, and usually can be tailored easily. Take a second look, and of course, pick a quality garment, as it makes all the difference!!!! Good luck and have fun with this!!!

rI hear loose and flowy, I always hear buzz words for tent...muumuu..."trapeze" tops LOL I guess technically my maxi skirts are flowy and loose so maybe it's just the association in my head that loose and flowy equals baggy tents.????

@@Sajijoma

You know, a good place to start would be the fashion magazines and catalogues. Find out what YOU like, and focus on those styles. But DON'T rule out fashions you have not tried before. It's always fun just to go try on new styles you've never worn before, especially as we lose weight. Who knew a year ago I would wear a "mini" dress over leggings and high boots???? NOT ME!!!! But I HAVE to say...I'm really cute in them! And I am 54 years young! My husband loves my new style, a BOHO look I was totally unexpecting, but fits me to a T!!!!! And the BEST part is I don't NEED a wide-calf boot, or no longer need to shop in the plus-sizes! Hooray for me!!! And soon for YOU!!!!

My plan is to keep a few pieces I love and tailor the hell out of them until I am no longer able to.

I also scour eBay where you can find clothing cheaply , it doesn't discriminate for the season and sometimes you can find items with tags still on!

There are also boards on this site for clothing sale/ exchange.

If all else fails, girl I'm currently a 16/18/20 and majority of my stuff is lane Bryant. My surgery is in January so I will keep you in mind when I start to shrink out of my clothing (fingers crossed I will shrink! Lol)

I'm also in Chicago so we should have similar clothing needs due to seasons.

thanks! yeah, definitely keep me in mind! Definitely for tops! :) I'm a tall girl leg wise anyway, so 32-33 inch inseams if it's pants unless I'm walking floodwaters. ????

Ok shirts yes, pants are a NO unless you want a ton of capris!

I'm 5'4 on a good day and must wear petite for a 30in inseam ????

sajijoma,

Those sizes are reasonable, but completely unpredictable! Something else that is a toss-up, besides the exact amount of weight you’ll lose, is where you’ll lose it from. Different people have different size clothes at the same weights. What you expect to look good may not actually fit right when you get to that weight because your shape isn’t quite what you expected.

I’m a fan of saving money, too, so I completely feel what you’re saying! I would just be afraid of wasting more money than I saved if the clothes I bought in advance didn’t end up working out.

Either way, congratulations on your weight loss so far, and good luck with surgery and beyond! Keep us posted.

I have to plan as well. Clothing size is a difficult one to plan. At the beginning of April I was wearing a 26/28 size 3x or 4x. Went on pre op diet and by my surgery at the end of April I was in a 24. I am now just over 5 months out and I am in a size 14 in pants and size L in tops. I've lost 120 pounds in total so there really is no way to tell. My ultimate goal is a size 8 and a size S or M in tops. Good luck with your surgery and shopping is so much more fun now!