Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon trying to convince me to do the sleeve instead of RNY

Hello Everyone!

Newbie from Massachusetts here! I just returned from my last pre-op behavioral and nutritional appt and was cleared by both! Super exciting except that I got a call from the office stating that my surgeon wanted to meet with me this week to "make sure" I was sure about proceeding with RNY. Mind you, I met with her back in May to discuss the pros and cons of each procedure and I made it clear I wanted the RNY. She told me that since I have no co-morbidities the sleeve might be a better option for me. I told her I was still leaning towards RNY and would let her know if I changed my mind.

Admittedly, I'm a but perplexed by her wanting to meet with me to be "sure" that this is the route I want to go. What does it mean? Is she just doing her due diligence as a surgeon and I am over reacting? Has anyone had this happen to them?

FYI, I was told that I would be able to have my surgery this month which I am pleased by. However, this impromptu meeting with the surgeon has me questioning my decision to pursue RNY. I've done extensive research on both options and feel the RNY is a better choice for me. Any advice or insight is appreciated.

I don't know any other background info on you or your surgeon, so it's hard to assess, but if I were in that position, it would raise a bit of a flag for me, as RNY is considered the "golden standard" of WLS procedures, and it's usually the other way around, where the surgeon would prefer the patient get the RNY instead of the Sleeve for various reasons. I would immediately dig into the surgeon's background to find out her confidence level in performing RNY's versus Sleeves - how many RNY's vs Sleeves has she performed, how many issues resulted from each type, etc.

If you want the RNY and she doesn't have a high confidence level in performing them, then you might want to find another surgeon.

Are you on a lot of medications? Rny has a longer recovery time. You should ask why she is pushing your towards the sleeve. I asked my surgeon his opinion. I went with RNY, which is what I was leaning towards to begin with. He thought RNY was best for me

I don't know any other background info on you or your surgeon, so it's hard to assess, but if I were in that position, it would raise a bit of a flag for me, as RNY is considered the "golden standard" of WLS procedures, and it's usually the other way around, where the surgeon would prefer the patient get the RNY instead of the Sleeve for various reasons. I would immediately dig into the surgeon's background to find out her confidence level in performing RNY's versus Sleeves - how many RNY's vs Sleeves has she performed, how many issues resulted from each type, etc.

If you want the RNY and she doesn't have a high confidence level in performing them, then you might want to find another surgeon.

I have no medical issues, aside from being obese. I'm 35 and do not take any medications. This was a bit of a red flag for me as well but I wanted to put the question out to forum in case this is a standard practice among surgeons.

My doctor told me I was a good candidate for both. I know some surgeons view RNY as more drastic, but in my experience and I have a FB group with over 200 members, most sleevers struggle to get to goal weight. Now I am no expert and this is just from the small group of people I have contact with. But for me during my research I knew RNY had a better percentage of weight loss and I had struggled so many times that I wanted the best opportunity to make it to my goal! I have NO regrets at all.

Good luck, and know this is your body and with what info you have provided, I think the choice should be yours.

Thanks for posting this - I started a very similar thread earlier today. I am in the process of final clearances until I meet with the surgeon, but I am concerned that everyone in an earlier group with the nutritionist state that they were getting sleeves. Good luck with the process!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no choice other then RNY due to my health issues but my doctor has said it is more invasive and harder on your body with a longer recovery time over the sleeve. With that being said you know your pain tolerance and what you can handle.