Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

had my band repositioned

Hi.. I just had surgery to reposition my band because of a slip...I am passed the two week liquid diet phase and I am onto mushy foods..lately I have been feeling nauseous a lot and hungry... (the hungry part I understand because I am unfilled) but the nauseous part I dont - can anyone relate?

I have not vomited and refuse to do it because I am scared to cause a slip again....but why do you think I feel nauseous? I know I am not pregnant.

Should I call the doctors office and ask them. Could this be some type of complication?

Thank you.

:help::help::help:

Definately call you surgeon/doctor because they can give you something to stop the naseau. You definately don't want to throw-up after just having surgery and to fix a slip to boot. Call them a.s.a.p. and if they can't by chance give you something go to the pharmacy, they should be able to help you with an over-the-counter med to stop it.

What were your symptoms that lead to the repositioning?

My doctor thinks my band has slipped because I was waking up in the middle of the night and coughing up bile and spitting it up like 5 or 6 times a night, so he unfilled me and then slowly re-filled me. It seems to be better, but I may still have problems. If I know what the symptoms are, it may help me make my decision to whether or not I have the surgery to have it fixed because I only have about 20 pounds to go. The surgery is going to cost me around 10 grand since I am unisured and I don't have that kind of money sitting around.

I hope you get better and get rid of the nausousness(not sure if I spelled that right). It isn't fun to feel that way. Good luck!

Julie

Wisegirl, I just had the same problem and ended up having a new large band put it. I couldn't unfill because I was already empty.

If I were you, I would unfill and leave it that way for a while. If you can't easily do the surgery, then, I would give your band the best rest of it's life. You have the rest of your life to get that 20 lbs.

Thank you for your advice Vanessa. I will wait a while because I am just too scared right now to go through that again. I am at 165 now, but most people think I weigh less because I exercise. I guess I am still mentally fat. I still feel like I am fat, could also be the loose skin I am carrying. I guess when you are overweight for so long, you keep thinking that way even when you lose most of it. I guess that is why I want to take the last 20 off in a hurry.

Oh I understand. I lost 60lbs and got pregnant. Gained 30. I had to get really ok with gaining weight really fast. After having my daughter, my empty band was swollen to the point where I couldn't eat food for weeks. Talk about scared!? I had no fill to empty, so it was surgery or nothing for me.

Fortunately, I've lost all of my weight, but my new big band is, well, BIG! I can eat anything. I'm having to start "dieting" just so I can get my fills done in a smart manner. But I don't care. I never want to feel that way again. I had all of the symptoms of a slip.

I noticed you go to Dr. Curry. Erin the dietition had a similar problem and she told me that he MADE her get an unfill. She gained 5lbs and was ticked, but knew that he was right.

Just do a little more exercise and try to make good choices. YOU CAN DO IT! Just put a big sign that say $10,000 on your fridge! ;)

Vanessa,

Dr Curry is the best isnt he? Erin is also. Yeah she told me about it when I went to see Dr. Curry about my problem. I was lucky though that he didn't make me get completely unfilled. I think once I get back into my exercise routine I will feel better. I stopped for a few weeks because of being busy and I bought a new bowflex and I have to learn it so my workouts arent really effective now until I get into it and learn a routine. I love this board. It is very informative and the support is wonderful.

Yeah, I love Dr Curry and his staff. I can't wait to see the new office. We are very lucky to have him as our Doc, as many people on this board turn to him because they can't get help from their own doc.

I really didn't want to have the surgery, but now I'm glad I did. The only draw back is I can literally eat ANYTHING now. I've got to make good choices and that's hard.

I love this board too. It is very helpful, especially when you are struggling with a problem.

Just curious, how much did it cost to have your band reposisitoned? And did vomiting cause the slip? How soon after you had the band did this happen?

I having problems with NO wt loss going on 4 months post-surgery. I've had 3 fills and am supposedly at 4.33cc in a 5cc band. I have some restriction at certain times of day but can certainly eat a meal. I'm trying to be good but thought the band was supposed to help me and so far nothing. I don't know what's wrong, if it slipped if I have a leak or what. What to do next???????????:think

Wisegirl and Vanessa,

I'm also from Cincinnati. I have read so many good things about Dr. Curry, but my insurance would only cover a designated Bariatric Center of Excellence which meant that I had to go to Good Sam.

What all was involved with repositioning the band? Was it back to full surgery and similar to having the band placed initially? Or is there a modified less invasive manner that is easier and less expensive? Just may be heading down that road and have no idea what to expect. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Have you gotten any replies to your question about slippage? I was wondering the same thing about me. I lost 30 pounds the first month. Nothing since then. I do get full sometimes but, I can eat a lot more than I should. I haven't been making good food choices either. I am very frustrated. I don't want to have come this far and not be a success story. Anybody able to help?

Have you gotten any replies to your question about slippage? I was wondering the same thing about me. I lost 30 pounds the first month. Nothing since then. I do get full sometimes but, I can eat a lot more than I should. I haven't been making good food choices either. I am very frustrated. I don't want to have come this far and not be a success story. Anybody able to help?

Same here!!! Im banded almost at the same time, lost 27 pounds first month and got my only fill in May lost another 6 and nothing since then!! I have to confess that I havent been making good choices either and fill hungry often !!!... could be a slippage? or I need another fill? please :help:

No, I really never did get any replies. From what research I've done I kinda doubt I have a slip as I don't have ANY symptoms at all. I seem to have mod restriction until about noon and then it's done and I'm back to being able to eat rather freely. I suppose there's always a leak in the band. I'm hoping that can be identified with the barium xray but I really don't know if that shows a leak or not. At this point I'm still pretty inthe dark. I tell ya, at this point having lost 6# would feel like something. But for 4 months I don't have anything to show for it. I'm not great about food choices but I do try to be careful. I'm hoping Wednesday will be revealing at least to where I'm at and what I need to do next.