Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been banded in the US that has paid for it out of pocket?

Guest Fighting for me

Guest Gayle

Danyielle,

Please don't be afraid to go to Dr. Ortiz. He has trained a good many surgeons in the US. He speaks better English than most people here in the US!! So does his staff. I went alone, and was fine!! He belongs to the American Surgeons Assn. ( I forget what it's called), and he is a rep of Inamed (who makes the band). His office is only about a 20 min. drive from the San Diego airport, and he has a driver who picks you up. It was a very positive experience.

Gayle

I was banded in Mexico, but in Monterrey, by Rumbaut. I have been to Rumbaut, Ortiz and Kuri (in Mexico) for fills. I would go back to Rumbaut and Kuri. Ortiz is technically competent, but not my kind of human being.

If you live closer to Monterrey, that's where I'd go. Rumbaut (and Sanchez) practice in hospitals that are far more familiar to most US patients and are teaching hospitals. The Tijuana doctors use "alternative medicine" hospitals (I'm not a fan), or tiny little (almost primitive) places which have four people to a room and a bathroom down the hall and no air conditioning and are worth every dime of the $50/night they charge. There are a couple of doctors who use nicely decorated places, but they still are nothing like a US hospital...more like a first-aid clinic from 1960.

NOW, a lot of people who are knowledgable about medicine use these doctors, no doubt about it. But, it's a no-brainer for me if I choose between a real, big-city teaching hospital with a doctor who has placed THOUSANDS of bands or a pretty or not-so-pretty Tijuana "hospital" (quotes because some of these places are three- or four-doctor places, no emergency staff kind of places) and a doctor who has done hundreds of bands.

And if I did choose Tijuana, it would be Kuri for sure.

I was banded by Dr. Spivak in Houston and paid cash. It cost $14,000, which included all fills for a year. However, an acquaintance just called him to inquire about it and she was quoted a price of $12,000. While doing your research on price, be sure to include costs of travel (if any), costs of fills, etc. I've been very happy with Dr. Spivak's surgical skill, his aftercare, and his office staff. He does not have a dietician, psychologist or any of that, but I don't feel I need this because I have learned so much online. If you can find a good, experienced band surgeon in Dallas, that would be the way to go. Good luck!

Nancy

FYI: I just called them, and the price is now $14,200. (That includes 3 fills under flouroscopy within the first year.) The $12,000 deal ended December 1st. She said that the price of the band itself (which was $3000) is going up, so the $12,000 deal isn't likely to happen again. $14,200 is still a great price, although you do have to pay for some of the tests and evaluations.

I was banded in Dalton, Georgia by Dr. Ponce. The cost was $13,700 which includes fill for the first year (but I still have to pay for the floro). It was an outpatient surgery and I stayed overnight in a hotel close to the hospital. I had a wonderful experience and love Dr. Ponce and his staff.

Hi. I was banded two weeks ago and paid out of pocket. I am 5'2" and weighed 204. Now weigh 195. So, if you can pay it, and the doctor will do it, go for it! You are like me, not quite a BMI of 40. I was a 38.

Guest mmbaker3409

Hey Pat, in VA. I'm only an 1 away from you in NC. Please can I have your doctor's info. Looks like I am going to be a self pay because my insuracne won't cover it. So far, that's the least expensive I've been quoted. Please share more info with me.

I have been researching some and found this deal with some help from others on this board. Dr. Pleatman is offering an almost too good to be true deal.

Here is a quote form his website:"We often receive inquiries from patients who want to have weight loss surgery, but don't have insurance coverage. We are now able to offer a package price of $12,500 to patients who wish to have an adjustable gastric band (LAP-BAND). This price will include the hospital, anesthesia, surgery, as well as 2 years of follow-up, including band adjustments (fills). Please email us or call the office for further details. ""

His website is : http://www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman/index.htm

All of the comments I have come across about him have been positive. I also am glad to see that he is first of all a laproscopic surgeon, with many years of that type of surgery-so he knows his way around the body. He has done about 250 Lap-bands according to his office with no fatalities and no erosions. He also seems to stress follow-up care and uses email to keep him up to date. He has been performing these for over 2.5 years with over 14 years of lapro surgery.

What is real cool is that he had invented a tool used in lapro surgery and it is named after him--the Pleatman Sac. Here is a link for more info-- http://www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman/pleatsac.htm .

It seems that you can get a real good doctor for a real good price and in a couple more weeks I will have my first doctors appointment with him. Will let you know more then about him.

For the price, though, it has eliminated me from the Mexico options as his surgeries are performed at a hospital with an ICU for added reassurance to me. Also his included follow-ups for 2 years in that price make up for alot of any savings going with another doctor that doesn't include his fills may offer.

Anyways just thought I would throw it out to any looking for low cost US options.

T

I am being abnded on tuesday ere in oregon. The doctor fees are 7200 the hospital is 18,000 and on top of that is sleep study and phych test and other tests. I still am glad I am doing it here even though it is so much money,.. I have a 22 month old son and I dont want to be away from him longer then I have to be..

Guest noclutterplease

Hello,

I am new to your site. I am contemplating getting the band in Mexico (selfpay). I have spoke to Jean at Dr. Rodriguez office concerning coming to Monterrey to have it done at their clinic for $7600.00. If I chose the hospital the bill goes up to $9600.00. Has anyone had surgery with Dr. Rodriguez? Please let me know. I am planning to go in late March or Early April.

I don't know who Dr. Rodriguez is. I've heard amazing things about Dr. Rumbaut, who's also in Monterey. Have you compared the two?

Hi, Noclutter, if you'd like to go to the introductions section and start a new thread, you'll probably get more responses. Please research as much as you can now. And there are several good threads here about going to Mexico for surgery, what to do and not do posted by other bandsters. Just do a "search".

Guest Elizabeth D.

I am going to be banded by Dr. Salvino at the Wish Center in Illinois. The price is $10,700, and that includes everything (surgeon, hosp, anesth, radiology, pre-op testing). It does *not* include fills, however. Fills there are very reasonable, though ($105 + 70 if ultrasound needed). I believe all the Wish Centers have the same pricing.

Elizabeth

Dr. Salvino, Wish Center, IL

Guest glenrose

I was banded in Dallas by Dr. Jayseelan and the turnkey cost is $15,000. I am pleased with my band and Dr. Jay / Staff are so kind and professional. I feel very welcome @ his office and ask all kinds of questions.

I was banded in Dallas by Dr. Jayseelan and the turnkey cost is $15,000. I am pleased with my band and Dr. Jay / Staff are so kind and professional. I feel very welcome @ his office and ask all kinds of questions.
How much have you lost thus far?