Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wait tables, how long till I can go back to work?

I'm a server and I've been researching the sleeve for 6 months. I know this is major surgery. I know everyone heals differently. And I know 4 weeks is the amount of time recommended to not lift heavy things.

What I don't know is how long I will need to request off work. My average shift last 7-9 hours. I am constantly walking and walking quickly. I have to pick up everything customers/kids drop and throw. I sweep, mop, carry trays, wipe tables, carry supplies in and out of the restaurant, etc. I do not get a lunch break. I do not get to sit down if I'm tired.

Let me please reiterate, I know everyone heals differently. I am just trying to get an idea. Anyone with similar work experience or just good advice, please write back. I'm so scared and excited!!! I would imagine mommies running around after kiddos probably have some great advice/experience.

Please respond and thank you in advance!

That's a tough one, My job is a physical one as well, I've been out of work because of a knee injury but I've been working around the house, Three weeks ago I wouldn't think about bending over to lift something off the ground but know I pretty much lift anything up,I would think one month off will be fine, But as stated, We all heal differently.

Best of luck

Someone in my support group is a server at a busy restaurant and she took off six weeks and said she needed all that time to recover and get enough energy and strength back.

I could have gone back in one month, but I milked it, I work on a psych unit, and have to go hands on at times, I would say after the surgery gauge yourself and work with your surgeon to come up with a timeframe, this is a very delicate issue to ask anyone else on here, we are all made differently and heal differently..........

Oh and good luck!!!!

I was curious to this myself. I work in a factory and stand for 10 1/2 hours straight. We also aren't allowed to have drinks etc out in the shop, how am I suppose to stay hydrated and get my liquids in? ????

Honestly, this is not a question you can have the answer to until after your surgery. Some people heal faster, some people feel more soreness, some people have complications, some people are jogging at two weeks (yipe, I wouldn't risk that). My recommendation would be to take six weeks off, and let your employer know there is a chance you may be cleared to return earlier. If you feel better and a doc agrees, you can always go back sooner.

As a former waitress, I probably would've had to wait longer to go back to serving than I did at my current job. I think about squatting to pick up glass racks or sweeping under a table and it makes me stomach hurt!

Lol it's nice to hear from a former server who understands the pain. Thanks to everyone who has replied! You guys are great. The only problem is my employer would want me to give notice because servers can't just ask for that much time off unless I was giving birth. Asking off for six week would be effectively quitting. I know they would give me the job back if they needed a server, but I'm guess I'm just super scared to be jobless. PLUS the only way I can afford this is to go to Mexico. And I have concerns about that too. I will keep researching and praying and I will figure it out. But I would love more responses and advice!

Under the FMLA, they cannot legally fire you for missing six weeks of work.

Its medical leave, required by a surgeon. They cant fire you as long as you provide all the necessary paperwork from your surgeon.

I just started a new job and I was worried as well till I did some research.

Yes I was trying to keep the surgery private, but maybe I should just fess up and see what happens. OR have my gallbladder taken out and use that as an excuse...I've been reading lots of sleeve blogs and recovery stories and many of them seem to include gallbladder surgery in the 3-4 mos after surgery. Maybe I could kill two birds with one stone(ha) and have a doctors excuse. I'm a very private person and my weight issues are painful to talk about to anyone other than my SO and therapist.

FLA applies to companies with I think it's 50 and more employees, I think gastric surgery is a voluntary and might not give the rights as an emergency would, sorry to be negative, I gust giving something to research, I wish good fortunes!

Actually Here in Texas FMLA does apply if one of of your diagnosis is Co- morbidity, I got to use it for 7 weeks and used my Extended Leave Benefits, and an employer here in Texas does not have the right to terminate you, but if you read carefully, after a certain amount of time all they have to do is keep you on, but not necessarily the position you may have originally had, I had to use it 6 years ago also when my wife was pregnant with my twins and I was off 3+ months, fortunately no one really lines up to take my position , since I work in a very high acuity unit at a psych hospital, getting hit is job security for me.......lol

I also am a server in a very busy restaurant. I work 8-9 hour shifts. I went back at 3 weeks. I'm probably pushing it but I also went to Mexico to have the surgery and I didn't want anyone to know. So I try and not push my self to hard. It's a hard one but I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. If you are seeing a psychiatrist have them take you out on stress leave and go on disability while you heal. Just a thought.

I also am a server in a very busy restaurant. I work 8-9 hour shifts. I went back at 3 weeks. I'm probably pushing it but I also went to Mexico to have the surgery and I didn't want anyone to know. So I try and not push my self to hard. It's a hard one but I'm sure you will make the right decision for you. If you are seeing a psychiatrist have them take you out on stress leave and go on disability while you heal. Just a thought.

Hey Ladybug!

I want to go to Mexico too. Who was your surgeon? How was your procedure? Details please please! I think I'm going to shoot for January because it's the slowest month in our industry and I can probably take a few weeks off without too many raised eyebrows. Thanks for your response!

My job is similar to waiting tables. I'm in a cafe/deli cooking and waiting on customers 9 hrs a day. Carrying heavy pots, boxes of vegetables etc and I went back after 10

Days. I had terrible pain the first day after 4 hrs of work and had to leave. I worked a half day the next day and by day 13 it was like surgery never happened.