Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana Use After Surgery

I know it doesn't make much sense to trade one vice for another, but I very rarely drink (once a month, and a couple beers at the most) and I don't smoke cigarettes. I do, however, enjoy smoking marijuana on occasion, and I don't know who or how to ask if this is alright post op. I'm five days out and I wouldn't even think of doing it while I'm still recovering, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this after recovery. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks a lot.

Munchies-munchies-munchies-

this could be why I was at a top weight of 367#... I haven't smoked in years but, I did smoke a lot when I smoked a few years back.. It does act as a stimulant for ones hunger. Other than the eating, and legal, issue of it, I don't see why it would be any different pre-op or post-surgery. ???????

I learned recently that marijuana stimulates the endocannbinoid system and that an overactive endocannabinoid system leads to obesity - they have been actually working on diet medications that sort of work against the this. I would really limit marijuana use for that reason alone, i think it increases cravings and slows down you metabolism for longer than the time you are high.

I dont know about smoking pot after the surgery, but i was wondering about crack. when do you think it would be alright to start free basing again? since i got banded, i've got a lot of kitchen appliances i can pawn. hahaha if you've quite smoking, then dont start back. have an occassional shot of tequila.

I think that munchies would be at least an "issue" although your ability to indulge those cravings will certainly be limited according to the "fill level" of your band. At least that was my experience. I waited 7 weeks before lighting up the ole" bong...three hours later....MUNCHIES!!!!!!!!!! No ability to stuff my face though...the band wouldn't allow it!

Wait a while before you try it...get used to your life and the issues you have with the band in place... it's a new day...and a good one!

I find the curse with drinking is my inability to control my appitite. EWI (Eating while intoxocated). Cant imaging you would do much better smoking the bones. I would try a different vice...

I have tried it for when you get that very full feeling and think you are about to vomit. It settles down your stomach and lets the food go down easier. It relaxes the muscles and seems to help the digestion.

It also makes me go to sleep, which is good so I cannot even think about eating.

I dont know about smoking pot after the surgery, but i was wondering about crack. when do you think it would be alright to start free basing again? since i got banded, i've got a lot of kitchen appliances i can pawn. hahaha if you've quite smoking, then dont start back. have an occassional shot of tequila.

That's probably the stupidest post I've ever read on here!!!

First you compare smoking pot to smoking CRACK and then advise someone to DRINK alcohol over smoking pot ....

I stopped smoking about a month ago because I was warned by my therapist that they will do a drug test with the pre-surgery testing, for the anesthesiologist.

I've going to give myself about 2 weeks after surgery before I light up again ... I think I'm looking forward to that more than anything else :heh:

I know it doesn't make much sense to trade one vice for another, but I very rarely drink (once a month, and a couple beers at the most) and I don't smoke cigarettes. I do, however, enjoy smoking marijuana on occasion, and I don't know who or how to ask if this is alright post op. I'm five days out and I wouldn't even think of doing it while I'm still recovering, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this after recovery. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have. Thanks a lot.

I smoked marijuana the first day I got home. It helped with the pain. But I do smoke recreationally now. I was also wondering if like, coughing would fuck up the band?