Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was your recovery 1 week after surgery

Hey Holly, happy birthday! You sound great and very ready to take on the challenge. I had my surgery 3 days ago. I'm hanging in there. I'm going to look for the Isopure drinks you mention -- I'm getting pretty bored with Slimfast. How did your sister stretch out her pouch?

Running marathons! Wow! It's hard to imagine not arriving home winded from climbing the stairs. The possibilities are very exciting!

Where will you be having your surgery?

This is a great thread for me now. I am 3 days post-op and today was the hardest I think. Here is my laundry list of whines: I get this heavy pressure sensation across my chest- like a wave - that happens at strange times. I am so relieved that others have the same symptom. I couldn't figure out what it was. I guess its gas?? More frequent after I've tried to get something down. I am having wicked caffeine withdrawl with headaches and bone-tiredness. I can't stand up straight yet and my incisions are sore and itchy. I also had an intense emotional flip-out today along the lines of 'what have I done' ... So, I think I am about normal.

On the good side: I came out of the panicky emotional state and went to the gym to do some light exercise; I am not hungry!; my funny pressure in the chest is getting less intense; I'm on the boards and sharing and my family and DH have been great.:)

I'm sure tommorow will be better and its so important to hear that I am not the only one going through this...

MM

:help:Hi guys, I know there is a list somewhere on here on things that are good to have on hand after surgery but can not find it. Can anyone help out there? I know heating pad, gas x strrips etc.. was on there.

Thanks for any help you can give

banding coming up very soon, getting very nervous!

I was banded 6/21/07 in Mexico and am now looking for a local, Palm Beach - Florida, Doctor to do a fill next month. Any suggestions?

I copied and pasted the list just in case the url didn't work. I didn't need any of the sterile 4x4's since I was glued.

I did get some liquid benadryl for itching which sometimes happens with the pain meds.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/post-op-checklists-things-hav-before-surgery-14814/

Here's a list our support group came up with -

Pre-Surgery Shopping List - by LBSG Patients

Here's a list that some of the patients suggested at some of our support group meetings after their surgeries. It’s a list of things that they wish they had before the surgery but didn't think of till later. Remember this is from the PATIENTS - if you have questions or are in doubt - PLEASE call the office and leave a message for the Dietitian. Feel free to send me your suggestions to add to our list. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

• Popsicles (SF as needed)

• Crystal Light

Jello (sugar free as needed)

• Gatorade

• Bouillon

• Bottled Water – some like Propel, fruit 2-0, or plain

• Cream of Wheat

• creamy Soups

• applesauce

• yogurt - Dannon Lite N' Fit

• Ensure, Boost, Glucerna - or whatever Protein drink the Dietitian asked you to drink based on your history

• chicken/beef/veggie broths (low sodium as needed)

Protein powder for shakes

• frozen fruits for Protein Shakes

Soups & broths

liquid Tylenol

• liquid Gas-X or Phazyme

• heating pad

• "Imagine" Soups - in cartons. (Potato Leek, Butternut, Squash, Corn, Creamy Tomato....and more. They are considerably lower in sodium than Campbell’s soups.)

chicken – cook before surgery, and save the broth, and freeze it in very small containers. Less sodium than store brands, if you have a salt problem.

• Check if your medications are “crushable” (able to be crushed without causing problem with effectiveness) - Nancy

• Soup-at-Hand - soups - for creamy stage - great "comfort food"

• Small pudding cups (SF/FF) or yogurt - I would take a spoonful to get my meds to slide down easier - Nancy

• Pill cutter

chewable Vitamins

• Tylenol or Motrin on hand. Sometimes all I needed was something just to take the edge off instead of Vicodin. Also, one of my incisions was irritated from my bra. Bandaids or gauze and tape were a must for me. Have plenty of Soup on hand. Something warm always makes you feel better - Cindy

chicken – cook before surgery, and save the broth, and freeze it in very small containers. Less sodium than store brands, if you have a salt problem - Toni

• Post-operatively I wished I had liquid Tylenol or Motrin on hand. Sometimes all I needed was something just to take the edge off instead of Vicodin. Also, one of my incisions was irritated from my bra. Bandaids or gauze and tape were a must for me. Have plenty of Soup on hand. Something warm always makes you feel better. Hope these suggestions are helpful - Del

• I would have wanted my meds right away. I had a terrible time finding the meds in a liquid form. Either check with the pharmacy beforehand to see if they stock them or if possible have the Dr. order them one-day pre-op so that you will have them ready when you return home. – Cindy

• get rid of all the foods in the house you are not to eat, before you go to the hospital

• make sure you have lots of fluids to drink afterwards - and for when you go back to work

• buy all the groceries you will need for at least 2 weeks after surgery

Nancy*

Banded: 9/24/04

And another:

Post-op Checklists - Things to have before surgery.

Some time ago, Mandy posted this excellent list and I thought this would be a good place to put it for all the new folks coming in. Maybe we could get this sticky?

Other suggestions have included have your laundry all caught up, and make arrangements for someone else to take care of the family meal preps (you might not feel like cooking for some time). If anyone esle can add to this it would be great. Try to avoid conversations so the info is easily seen. Thanks everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

lab-band shopping list:

heating pad

flexible ice pack

liquid tylenol (they make adult strength)

chewable or liquid gas-x

a few books or movies

comfy clothes (loose waisted shorts or jumpers)

squishy pillow for car ride (guard against seatbelt)

a sports bra (doc said no underwire for a few days)

protien shakes

flavored Water

make sure you have a good blender

I bought a drink mixer for the protien mix (cost $10 at walmart)

broth or stuff to make broth

sugarfree popsicles and Jello

sugar free gum (ask your doctor)

sugar free breathmints (ask your doctor)

*Ask at your pre-op for the pain med prescription so you can have it all ready to go when you get home, our walgreens has to order liquid pain meds and it takes 3 days to get them.

And another:

Gauze Pads 4x4

Paper tape

Kitchen timer ( for the first few days - 15 minute sips intervals)

Crystal Light "On the GO" add to bottleled Water mix - different flavors

Wet Wipes

Toilet tongs ( don't spend a lot of money get long BBQ tongs)

Stool Softener

more when I remember it....__________________

C.

The link does work

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/post-op-checklists-things-have-before-surgery-14814/

Hi Ganas! Thanks for the b-day wishes. My sister says the doctors told her she stretched her pouch most likely through ignorance of the doctors who placed it five years ago in Dallas. Five years ago this was a relatively new procedure and they've learned so much since then.

Here's what the doctors think:

She's a HUGE diet Coke drinker--we now know that carbonated drinks are a no-no.

She was a grazer, rather than the recommended three meals a day--her pouch stayed full and was able to stretch do to being "full" all of the time. From what she tells me, when she got on solids post-op, the grazing was because she didn't feel capable of eating three meals a day. It was easier for her to just eat a bit at a time over the course of a day.

She's stopped doing carbonated drinks and eats her three meals a day. She knows that she'll probably have to go in for a revision at some point. She's an Air Force Brat rule-follower-to-the-extreme like me, so, if she'd had this info pre-surgery, even post-op, she would not be in the shape she's in now.

Really, she's doing great, and since she's doing marathons it might be a good thing that her pouch is a bit stretched, so that she can get the nutrients she needs to have the energy and endurance for the races.

I'm very proud of her. She's my big sis, and I've always looked up to her!

I hope this info helps.

Wow! Waters this is incredibly helpful. I didn't get much info for my post surgery necessities. I appreciate this.

I wished someone had told me about the heating pad. I figured out the heat helped with the gas and ended up laying in my car's heated seats. :)

Oh, and my surgery is in Austin, Texas, at the Central Park Surgery Suites. My surgeon is Dr. Mark Sherrod. He also did my cholecystectomy. FABULOUS surgeon! The surgical suites are a dream come true too.

Here's a link about the Isopure. This is whey Protein, no carb, splenda-sweetened, CLEAR drink. The link is to a provider that is waaay too expensive! GNC has it at a better price, especially if you're a gold card member. It's worth the money to become a gold card member. If the link doesn't work, let me know.

Hey, Waters:

Thanks for the list of post-op stuff. I'll definitely get stocked up. VERY helpful information.

One question--mmm, what are toilet tongs for?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Gia and I was banded on July 3rd. I am doing well with isuess only at night(trying to find a confortable postion) or when one of my boys forgets I have "ouches" on my stomach.

:ranger:

blk-weight.png

Hello Everyone, this has been my experience, I had surgery on June 28th. Dr Chute at Abbott did the surgery and I am so happy with the outcome so far. I only had pain at the largest incision, but each day it gets better. I never had any bloating, burping, shoulder pain or any other problems. I am trying to keep my portions small because honestly I am not getting a full feeling. I have been eating all foods from day 2. My "plan": no more than 1200 calories (not coming close most days) and 80 gr of Protein (getting at least 70). I chew everything really well and have had no problems. Today, 10 days out I have almost no pain and I am down 8 pounds since surgery. I wish you all the best.

Joanie

today i felt so much better....i went fishing, I have noticed i am a tad emotional towards my family...need to get a grip on that! The gas is better...the burping really is easing..although i can could probably win the world record for most continuous burps.....and i had a margarita today (just a small one). It was yummy!! things are looking up...lost another 5 pounds too!!

LOL - I wondered about the toilet tongs, but figured they were for the obvious!! :(

Anyway, does anyone know if Isopure comes in forms other than liquid fruity flavored? The dietician at the hospital where I had my surgery seemed to indicate it came in a non-flavored powdered form so you could add it to any food (at least, I think that is what she said).

Tonight I had tuna salad and cottage cheese, so it tasted like ambrosia after almost 2 weeks of Soup and more Soup. I don't mind the Protein drinks - you can even add a bit of sugar free pudding mix to them to get a variety of flavors (choc Protein shake + banana cream pudding mix - don't add more than a tbsp. or so or you'll have thick pudding - ha!). The health food store has the spiru-tein brand and they have a Cookies and cream that is really terrific, just needs a little extra splenda so you can fake like you're having a shake from Chik-Fil-A. :)