Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell: Anyone in Heaven?

I had my surgery on 6-19-07 and so far I have not had to much of the normal bandster hell. I find that the "hunger" I have had to battle is from habit. Setting down to watch tv and wanting to grab the sunflower seeds to munch on, wanting to have a hand full of snack crackers, etc. But when I take a minute to think about what it is I am doing I find that I really am not hungry at all just a bad habit I have to learn to control. The same as I approached learning not to drink when I am eating a meal. Hope that helps some.

Pandagirl,

hi i had my lapband on March 21, 2007. I was not hungry, but you need to remember that we have an addiction to food and we may think that we are hungry out of habit. I had my 2nd fill and will receive my 3rd one in a couple of weeks. Ive lost 72lbs and by now if i didnt have the band i would of quit and started gaining again. but good luck with your band and i wish you success.

kimslilstang

I Am In Bandster Heaven I Been Hungry Dont Get Me Wrong But Its Nothing I Cant Handle Most Of It Is Head Hunger There Is A Big Change That U Have To Get Use To. It Would Be The Same With Gastric. But Everything's A Challenge Its Just About How U Take On The Challenge. Read My Ticker And See Why I'm In Bandster Heaven I'm Down 50lbs In Just 2 Months All I Can Say I Know I Made The Right Choice

Good Luck To You

Hi Pandagirl,

I was banded January 3rd 2007. I can honestly say that I eat what I want (with the exception of bread, can't eat any bread since end of Feb:):)) when I want and since I've had 4mls in my 8ml band I've been losing 2lbs a week consistently.

It has all been plain sailing untill last weekend when my band slipped, this happens in a small minority of bandsters, I had to have my band loosened and as a result have lost all restriction. I have in one week slipped back so easily into my previous ways of eating that it scared me, I have gained 4lbs this week and my operation to reposition the band is not untill next Friday I have to control myself untill then and try not to gain any more weight. It is all head hunger, because I know the band is not working to stop the food going in I am eating more.

One thing this has proved is that the band is the best thing I ever did, I have no regrets and I just want it fixed so I can get back to becoming a slimmer and healthier me.

If you are a volume eater like me the band is the way to go. Good luck. :)

Hi! I also had my surgery on 6-19-07! I'm doing great. I hated the two weeks pre-op. That was the hardest! The week after wasn't so bad because I wasn't really hungry while recuperating. This week I've been given back foods the consistency of a soft scrambled egg! It was amazing!! Like you, my problem has been stopping and thinking before I picked up my old "bad habits" again. I'm thrilled with my results...so far I've lost 26 lbs. I had a bm of 48%, so I have much, much more to go.

Good luck to you!

Pandagirl, I have yet to be banded, July 9th to be exact, I have 2 close friends who have been banded, 1 has no problems at all, he exercises, eats 3 meals a day and chews his food, he follows all the rules and never pbings, and has lost over a 100lbs, my other buddy, does not listen to any of the rules pbings alot, but he eats whatever, doesn,t exersise and still lost over 100lbs, I'm going to follow all the rules, I want to be a healthy husband and father, it is going to take dedication and hardwork, take care and good luck, Danny

Amen to the being healthier part - IMO the recovery time alone is worth being banded vs. GB + it's reversable (if you want). I think it's better if it comes off a little slower, it's teaching you healthy habits by reducing your portions, chewing your food, laying off the carbs, and getting off your butt and excercising.

I just had my band 2 weeks ago. Can you tell me what to do so that I won't have a band slipage?? Did you do anything different? I can't imagine constant surgeries. Does it cost the same to reposition and is the surgery the same? pre and post? I'm just wondering what to expect.

I just had my band 3 days ago. Yesterday morning I took my blood pressure meds(2 pills), each split in half. All day I kept burping and bringing up fluid(I know its gross) and I had terrible burning heartburn. I had to call the surgeon by 5 pm and she thought the meds might have gotten stuck in the morning. Is this what pbing is??? omg! miminms, have you have any probs at all since your surgery? Im better today but scared to do anything wrong!! I am following doctors orders....am crushing my meds from now on!

Panda, I hope you are getting the answers you need. I must tell you that I agree with allwright because I to was advised that I would have to make some changes with my diet and exercise in order to achieve weightloss. It is fair to assume that you will not lose the weight quickly with the band and I feel that one shouldn't expect to either since we didn't get to this point over night. My only problem with the band so far granted I'm only two weeks post op is that I have to wait 1 hour after my meal to drink my Water because I love water. I have found myself in the last two weeks craving the water more than the mushy food or the shakes. I would have the surgery all over again if I had to. I met with my Doctor today and they have scheduled me for my first fill in two weeks, that's because my Doctor wants me to succeed and wants me to stay in control of my portion size. Right now my restriction is around 4 to 5 ounces of food but I try to stay at 4. I don't even feel like I have had any surgery because I am not sore or anything. I only had a few days of gas pains but other than that everything is great. Keep reading the threads, I'm sure you will make the best decision. Keep us posted. Best of luck!:)

I felt no hunger at all for the first 2 yrs after surgery, I actually had to remind myself to eat. Now I feel hungry occassionally, but I fill up really fast.

lindasusan,

No, I haven't had any problems at all. I sometimes feel like what I've had to eat has gotten kinda stuck in my chest, but I just wait a little while (as the info and Dr. said) and then take a few sips of Water and I'm fine after that. My Dr. told me not to take any type pill larger than the opening in my nostril..sounded funny, but he said if the pill is small enough to fit in my nose, it will go through the band. I still break all pills in half. I'm not taking any chances. ha! Good luck to you! I'll be out of town for the weekend, but I hope to hear from you first of next week. Take care!

I just had my band 2 weeks ago. Can you tell me what to do so that I won't have a band slipage?? Did you do anything different? I can't imagine constant surgeries. Does it cost the same to reposition and is the surgery the same? pre and post? I'm just wondering what to expect.

Hi Miminms,

I sorry if I gave the impression that band slippage will happen to everyone, it doesn't just a small minority of bandsters. I couldn't have done anything different it is just something that can happen. I am covered for this op as it has occured during the 12 months since the orignal op. I am hoping the surgery will be less invasive as all the equipment is the same just the repositioning of the band.

I have the band placed on 6-30-06 and have lost 60 lbs. It is a great tool. But you have to work with it not against it.

TeresaL

My maintenance has been wonderful so far.

food is an afterthought for me now.

food used to be my number one hobby.

I save so much money not getting my stash of Cookies,candy and ice cream EVERYDAY. I would eat my stash every nite and have to go get MORE the next day. Now let me talk about eating out a few times a week. I didn't do McDonalds either. Never was a fast food girl. Cracker Barrel ($15 with tip) and Red Lobster ($ with tip) were may favorites to have lunch at. Hubby never looks at credit card bills thank goodness.

Very happy bandster,

edie

Hi Miminms,

I sorry if I gave the impression that band slippage will happen to everyone, it doesn't just a small minority of bandsters. I couldn't have done anything different it is just something that can happen. I am covered for this op as it has occured during the 12 months since the orignal op. I am hoping the surgery will be less invasive as all the equipment is the same just the repositioning of the band.

Hi Coco,

Thanks for the follow up. My insurance didn't cover my surgery, so I just keep praying that I'll be one of the "lucky ones" that breeze through and won't have any additional costs! ha! I hope all goes well for you and no more problems. Thank you for the encouragement. Keep up the good work! I'll be keeping up with your progress.