Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss and contraceptives

Hi all I am 5 months out of surgery and I have lost 10 stone or 140 lbs since January 2015 in total.

After meeting with my NUT she mentioned hair shedding will knock at my door shortly and she definitely has in a big way. Can anyone relate to this or has anyone gone through this as I get married in May and I am scared I am not going to have any hair left at the rate it is falling out. Is there anything I can do to stop it or at least slow it down??

On a separate subject ladies as I have PCOS I don't want to have a contraceptive that makes this worse any ideas?

Thanks

OMG! I had my surgery Jan 2015 and my hair has been falling out in clumps for over a month now. I cry a lot at what's in the shower drain or on my brush. It's dry and brittle and I had to cut it shorter so it doesn't look so bad but the parts are bigger and you can tell it's falling out. I take my Vitamins, Biotin and eat my Protein but it hasn't helped. I hear it will stop hopefully before I'm bald. I even bought hair thinning Shampoo and conditioner. Good luck, if you find out anything else to do please let me know.

My hair fell out and it's slowly growing back in. Most people just notice thinning and there aren't any actual bald spots. You can do a nice updo for your wedding and no one will even know you've lost any hair. A good stylist can also work in clip-in extensions for the wedding. I wouldn't wear them all the time because they really pull on your scalp, but for special occassions, you can look like Barbie with the kind of extensions they make today and it doesn't require hurting your hair in the process.

In terms of contraceptives, I use depo...I haven't heard anyone with PCOS having issues with depo, so maybe consider that.

Hello ladies,

Well I unfortunately had the genetics of thinning hair before I went into surgery so after surgery I thinned out really bad. I have caved and am now wearing a wig. At first it was a little uncomfortable but after a month or so your mind set changes and you see a few people out there wearing them. So I just have fun with them now. It is fun to see the faces when I change things up! LOL!

Good luck.

Some products that might help as mentioned by Ava Fern. Biotin and Shampoo called Nioxin might help.

Nicole

Once your hair starts falling out, there is little you can do to stop it. It's falling out NOW due to things that happened MONTHS ago. It's very common to lose hair post-op. Anesthesia, low Protein intake, and rapid weight loss all cause Hair loss. As a WLS patient, you've had all three of those, so it's a triple whammy! The good news is, if you were diligent about getting your protein and Vitamins in early on post-op, the hair loss should be brief and minimal. Mine lasted about a month and a half.

A copper IUD, has no hormones. If you already have hair loss, I wouldn't do hormonal birth control since a lot of them have Hair loss as a side effect.

If you go with a copper IUD, make sure you get it at least 6 months before you get married so your body can adjust to it. You will have heavier periods for about 6 months and a little spotting off and on. So I would get one ASAP so you are all good by the time for the wedding.

Your hair should be on the mend by the wedding, but you can always have clipins added to your hair to make it fuller for your pictures. Your wedding is almost a year away, your hair will be better by then. Start looking for a good stylist can use clipins now though. May is a busy time.

Thanks everyone from your comments I am so scared of losing all my hair any if any of you know of any tips please share them. I think I buried my head in the sand about it all and now it's really upsetting me

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches