Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you ladies so much for your responses! I'd love to keep in touch and or connect. I'm still figuring this site out so my response may be slow. I'm heading to L.A. because I found a great doctor through a friend, and he honors my insurance time of one month before surgery. I've been working and researching for two yrs now and I'm just ready to move forward. My pc doctor wasn't a listener so she never supported my thoughts on the surgery. She left and my new pc doc agreed right away! So I figure why not have a little Vaca while I'm at it. My surgery day is Oct 1st! :) I'm so frikkin EXCITED!!! LOL.

My previous pc doc would just keep reminding me how how big I was getting! I'm like yeah no da! I've struggles trying to lose the weight for the last 10 yrs. But she never saw fit to listen to my concerns so I stopped making appointments with her. My mum passed from cancer 2 yrs ago and she just wanted me to take better care of myself. So it was a blessing that my pc left and I got a great new one. She listens and walks me through everything she orders. I love her! I'm 120 over weight if I lose 80 I'll be happy 100 even better! My legs can't take the pain and my veins are starting to try and pop out.

:(

But anyway that will soon be in the past!

You should be excited! This is a great opportunity to make yourself healthier and happier. It's tough when you don't have the support you want from friends or family, but that's why support groups like this exist. Congrats to making the decision! We're all here for you. :)

Edited by scarletwitch19

Hi everyone, I'm new here and found you guys while doing my non stop research. I'm from just outside Boston but I'm going to L.A. For my surgery on Oct 1st. I'm so excited but a little down at the same time because the only two women in my life (best friends) I can't share this with. Can't call up and say "oh my gawd this is really happening I'm so excited"! I can't do the normal celebrating conversations sister friends do. My mum just passed from cancer so it makes it even harder because at least when she was here I knew I could always call her to get her "worried support". My husband supports me but not in the girly excited or worried way. He is quiet and barely talks about it at all. I trie sharing with one friend and she said NO NO WAY DONT DO IT! I mean she didn't even ask me if I had already made up my mind she just went by her own opinion based on someone she knew who had it and must of complained to her about something. The other best friend can't hold Water and her family are the last people I want knowing my personal business such as this so I've chosen to not tell her at all. Shes in another state so she won't know by seeing me anyway. Sorry for rambling but I just want to talk to people who understand and are excited also.

Hi there,I am in southeaster MA near Taunton. I am having my surgery at Brockton Hospital with Dr.Abeles. She is booking about 90 days out from the initial consult. My insurance is notorious for being one of the harder ones to work with,they can have up to a 6 moth supervised diet/exercise requirement.

Come on in here and whoo -hoo any time you like. IF you are brave I am happy to meet people in ral life that I meet online. It's how I met my best friends.. we were in a forum for 2 yrs they did a were do you live thread and it turned out we lived like 7 houses away from each other...

Thank you scarlet! That's exactly how I feel...

Wow that's really great Michelle! I'm kinda looking forward to going to Cali I need some of those beaches in my life right now. :) I'm going with my husband and we haven't had a honeymoon or vacation since we got married. As soon as we got married my mum was diagnosed and we took her in to care for her. So this will be our time to enjoy ourselves for a little bit. We're going 4-5 days ahead of the surgery. I'm on my phone now and the site looks different so when I figure it our in my pad I would love to inbox my number to those of you closer to me! I'm not afraid to meet up one day either! We can maybe do a girls day of sharing tips, foods, Vitamins etc...

Well congrats everyone to a healthier future I work during the day east coast time but I'll answer any questions I can one key thing is try not to stress yourself out follow your instructions it's going to be a process and something to get used to its not nearly as scary as ppl think it is though and just remember everyday gets better and things do return to a normal state try not to panic and eat stuff cuz u think u won't be able to have it again it's not true concentrate on getting thru the pre op process get all after surgery items u need at home before surgery that helps trust me I was glad I didn't have to go running around the first couple days was just so tired

I agree Shelly, that's exactly what I'm doing and pushed my surgery date back a month so I well prepared. Having a stomach ache makes one tired. I can only imagine surgery on it making me even more fatigued. Thank you for your support! My best friend that said NO! wouldn't even talk about it when I tried bringing it up again. So whatever, I guess I won't be visiting her while I'm in L.A. This time around.

I'm sorry to hear that honestly if a so called friend can't support u well doesn't seem to mesh with being a friend we all don't have to agree with pls decisions or choose it as an option for ourselves but at least say hey if this is what u need I'm here I got your back I also had a friend of many years refuse to discuss it even and didn't speak to me for a few weeks turns out she was scared doesn't feel that ppl need have surgery to loose weight etc and thought that I'd lose weight and become the food police lol I said hey who am I to lecture anyone when I've been there myself and really ppl that are overweight they know it they know what they should or shouldn't eat to lose weight etc having someone lecture them isn't helpful it doesn't work anyway if it did lots of of us would be much thinner a long time ago lol I don't listen to negative stuff I don't talk about it but if I'm asked I say I had surgery I'm just not a person who takes any crap from ppl giving opinions about my health or how I should lose weight anyways good luck to you and welcome!

It amazes me how many of us have had friendships change or gone because we decided to have wls.

I told a handful of friends, not all. My best friend has always been overweight just like me. We're still friends, but I know she judges the surgery and thinks it's the easy way. I'm not looking for complements or to talk about surgery all the time, but it would be nice if she was more supportive. On the other hand I have a friend at work that I told, this man is super fit, very thin, very active etc. He is the most supportive person in my life other than my boyfriend. Has commented multiple times on how I looked, asks how I'm doing, called and texted to get updates on how I was doing the entire day of my surgery. Has been a great person to talk to, and supported me when I've had our coworkers make comments against surgery.

I guess I'm the judgemental one, I assumed someone very fit would judge surgery more than someone who can relate to my weight struggles. Oops lol

post-260142-14388242472925_thumb.jpg

Well this was my moment!

Of course it was posted on FB. My Dad saw it and said I'll get it done if you will. He is 400+. I love my Dad and we worry about each other, so I said absolutely.

My journey started off faster than his, I didn't have to do the pre diet. He has already lost 25lbs and I've lost 13 lbs. and we are still pre surgery. I got super excited knowing this time I lose weight it's going to be for real. I'm afraid of failure. I have a couple more test to pass and then surgery.

Question 1: Was anyone put on Vyvance for binge eating at any point in their lives?

2: Has anyone had any issues with psych meds post surgery?

3: Has anyone had a joint replaced and was pre antibiotics used?

I do live alone and appreciate any help.

You said it Shelly! I agree and both you an scarlet are right people can get weird about how one loses weight. I mean who gives a damn how you do it?! Just do it for health sake. I think some people would rather stay beating themselves up because they keep failing the next diet plan. Me personally I don't have that kind of fight in me anymore. I just want to feel better when I walk. I'd like to take up jogging if at all possible. I think we do sometimes lose some friends when change happens. I chalk it up as seasonal changes...

Michelle that is so awesome your dad is taking this journey with you wow what a gift to be able to share that. :( I miss my mum so much wish we would've tried this when' she was still here.

As for your questions, no sorry I don't know anything about any of that.

As I have said, I am scheduled for surgery (sleeve) on September 9th. I am excited, yet scared.

I keep reading things that frighten me, hair loss, vomiting, infections, torn stitches etc.

The one that really has me concerned right now is skin, skin, skin......I want to dip myself in a vat of olive oil until my surgery.

I'm no spring chicken (57), but I love to be active especially swimming.

I have no interest in becoming a size 4, I would settle for a 16. At 330 this is a LOT of weight to lose. Maybe I should aim for an 18 and then adjust.

I hear some people drop the pounds super fast and others not so much.

I am on a mission to become a healthy me.

As I have said, I am scheduled for surgery (sleeve) on September 9th. I am excited, yet scared.

I keep reading things that frighten me, hair loss, vomiting, infections, torn stitches etc.

The one that really has me concerned right now is skin, skin, skin......I want to dip myself in a vat of olive oil until my surgery.

I'm no spring chicken (57), but I love to be active especially swimming.

I have no interest in becoming a size 4, I would settle for a 16. At 330 this is a LOT of weight to lose. Maybe I should aim for an 18 and then adjust.

I hear some people drop the pounds super fast and others not so much.

I am on a mission to become a healthy me.

I know it's frightening, I was pre-op , not that long ago. But if you follow the rules you will do great. Hair loss worries my a little too, I haven't noticed it yet, but alot of people have that issue unfortunately. I've been stressing about alot of stuff with surgery as of late, and now that I'm seeing real results I've decided that it doesn't matter. Loose skin and hair loss are so worth it in my book right now. I just want to be healthier and feel better about myself. Eye on the prize, it's all worth it in the end. :)

I overstand your worries, from what ive seen weight training is the best to help skim along the way. Without that we lose muscles when our body feels its going into starvation mode. Then it feeds off our muscles. Im trying to build them now and will do more as i can. Praying for all of us and our best health! Positive thoughts...

Edited by Peanutbutterlady

Well I have to say, I have an amazing support group in my husband, kids, family and friends but none of them are my size. It's always good to have people who TRULY understand how you're feeling. The last few days since I got my approval from insurance, I have been glued to this forum. I love reading all of the different posts and knowing that I'm not alone and that how I feel is normal.

Well I have to say, I have an amazing support group in my husband, kids, family and friends but none of them are my size. It's always good to have people who TRULY understand how you're feeling. The last few days since I got my approval from insurance, I have been glued to this forum. I love reading all of the different posts and knowing that I'm not alone and that how I feel is normal.

I totally understand that feeling. My boyfriend is the most amazing man I know and so supportive. But he can't understand everything. He doesn't really know how I feel. I can talk to him about it, but I come to this site regularly now, and it really has helped me. I just don't feel alone through this, and that's what I really needed :)