Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the forum, but have read many of the posts relating to the Gastric Sleeve. I was banded in January 2013, and was doing great for about a year, then I started having complications -- getting stuck all the time, throwing up everything I ate and severe heartburn. My doctor tried loosening the band, then filling it with small amounts, but I could never it right. Eventually, all the throwing up caused my band to slip and I had the band repositioned in December 2014. I was hoping that the band would start working again, like it had when I first got it, but I've actually gained 30lbs since the repositioning and I am still having complications! I am now considering getting the sleeve but I have reservations...

I must admit, I am very hesitant because of the stories I'm reading of leaks, and regaining weight after a couple of years. I just keep asking myself "is it worth the risk?” What I'm not finding are posts relating to complications from band-to-sleeve revision. Is there a higher known risk factor for banded patients? Do you regret your decision to get the sleeve?

Any advice you can offer would be a tremendous help for one nervous gal from NY.

Hi...your story sounds like mine. Had band in 2008 lost over 100lbs. Then issues began..just like yours. My band was remove in Jan 2015. I get sleeve tomorrow. I gained almost all my weight back in 7 months. Also got HBP and sleep apnea back. I can barely carry this heavy load because it came back so fast and I had no time to adjust to it.. I was miserable. Especially after losing and looking good and feeling wonderful and full of energy. I tried all the old diets...nothing worked.. I need this tool. I'm extremely excited about my surgery tomorrow because i have a great chance of being successful again and healthy and energetic. Make the decision for you. It's about quality of life and health. Best wishes on you decision making. Prayers for me and my surgeon are welcomed!????????

I'll keep you posted after my surgery if there are complications. I really want to follow doctors orders to avoid those things you mentioned. Wish me well!,

Dr.Altamarino will be doing my revision. Removing the band and sleeving me at the same time.

Wow that's awesome...my doctor wouldn't do it for me in one swoop. Had to wait 6 months. He had Lots of scar tissue to remove and wanted me to heal first so staples would be more secure. It could be that the insurance won't pay for both at same time. I have Cigna. Please let me know how you make out.

Great!Good luck

Hi...your story sounds like mine. Had band in 2008 lost over 100lbs. Then issues began..just like yours. My band was remove in Jan 2015. I get sleeve tomorrow. I gained almost all my weight back in 7 months. Also got HBP and sleep apnea back. I can barely carry this heavy load because it came back so fast and I had no time to adjust to it.. I was miserable. Especially after losing and looking good and feeling wonderful and full of energy. I tried all the old diets...nothing worked.. I need this tool. I'm extremely excited about my surgery tomorrow because i have a great chance of being successful again and healthy and energetic. Make the decision for you. It's about quality of life and health. Best wishes on you decision making. Prayers for me and my surgeon are welcomed!

It's an awful feeling losing all that weight to then put it back on in such a short period of time. And I'm sorry you had to experience that as well. I had thrown out many of my clothes because I swore I would never get back to that size and now I'm getting back to "that size" and having to shop all over again. I want to try dieting on my own and I've somewhat convinced myself that I can do it, but really who am I kidding, I couldn't do it before and I probably can't do it after the band. There are very few people who've had the band removed and go on to maintain their weight loss--very few though. I meet with my surgeon today and I'll find out if the band slipped again (actually hoping that it did but either way I'm going to have them remove it). I'll let you guys know what I decide!

I think you/your surgeon made the right decision by waiting in between surgeries, lessens your chance of complications is what I've been told.

Sending lots of prayers your way for a safe and successful surgery. Please keep me posted on your progress!

Dr Altamarino,

Heard many great things about you!Wish I could get to Mexico...you are fantastic!

I have opted for the RNY...my acid reflux from the band is outrageous.Unfilled still having problems.Bypass for me all the way....

When they took my band out my acid reflux went away completely

Hi everyone, so I met with my doctor yesterday and the esphogram test showed that my band has NOT slipped. My doctor seemed unsure and couldn't offer any solid reasons as to why I can't keep anything down at such a low fill (4.5 cc). She said stress can make your band tight, which I knew already, and I have been dealing with some personal issues that could be the causing my band to tighten. But I'm human, and I have emotions, and if I'm upset I should be able to eat or drink liquids. Does anyone else experience this same issue when upset or stressed?

She unfilled it slightly and suggested that I go on the appetite suppressant, Phentermine. She explained some of the side effects, like Insomnia and High Blood Pressure, and I'm not sure I want to take it. We discussed the Sleeve and Bypass and she indicated that with any WLS there is a chance of regaining weight after a few years if you don't change your relationship with food. She said sleeve patients can tolerate more foods than band patient, and in time can stretch their stomach to where there is little restriction and most of the weight comes back. And that seems to be my biggest problem-- as with most people struggling with their weight-- changing my relationship with food. I obsess over food and not the healthy kind, love cooking, eating out, you name it and until I change my outlook and start making right choices about what I eat, no WLS is going to be successful for me in the long term.

I agreed to try the band at a lower fill for another month and if I’m still having problems or not losing any weight then I’ll remove it. Sighs, we will see...

Phentermine?????This is the solution??? a pill with all kinds of side effects???You need a revision to sleeve or bypass!!!!What is the deal???Get a new doctor or a second opinion before you start another drug....ridiculous.

Phentermine?????This is the solution??? a pill with all kinds of side effects???You need a revision to sleeve or bypass!!!!What is the deal???Get a new doctor or a second opinion before you start another drug....ridiculous.

I researched it some more and did not like what I was seeing-- heart palpitations, anxiety attacks. Uh, no thank you! I've decided not to take it, and going to do exactly what you said: get a second opinion.

I'd really love to have an skype consult with you. It's free and I'm going to explain the metabolic aspects of weight loss surgery and why the sleeve or bypass are much definitive options thsn the lap band.

If prople and even surgeons keep thinking about restriction as the main mechanism for weight loss they are going to fail in understanding the problen and of course, to fight it.

Please check the videos on my website (undestanding obesity) at www.doctoraltamirano.com or send me an email to dra@bariatricpal.com to shcedule an appointment. Greetings

Thank you Dr. Altamirano. I will check out your site. However, if I have another surgery it will be local due to work and family.

Meley24

Get a revision...get the lap band out...

I'd really love to have an skype consult with you. It's free and I'm going to explain the metabolic aspects of weight loss surgery and why the sleeve or bypass are much definitive options thsn the lap band.

If prople and even surgeons keep thinking about restriction as the main mechanism for weight loss they are going to fail in understanding the problen and of course, to fight it.

Please check the videos on my website (undestanding obesity) at www.doctoraltamirano.com or send me an email to dra@bariatricpal.com to shcedule an appointment. Greetings

Well said coming from someone who knows!

@@HELLCATT81

Best to you and I"m sure it will all work out for you.

Take care