Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@HELLCATT81

You might want to consider doing it all in one. My doc said he used to require a wait between removal of band and sleeve but no longer does that. Two surgeries up the risks of just general risks due to anesthesia etc. And for me, one recovery was what I wanted.

Actually it was a requirement for the doc I went to that they would consider one surgery UNLESS when he went in and found a lot of scar tissue etc that might take too long to remove and THEN I was OK for 2 surgeries. It turned out fine. Scar tissue from my band after 9 years wasn't bad. My surgery was just over an hour longer than just sleeve surgeries. And only one recovery

Anyway, just something to consider.

@@Dr. Altamirano

Could you briefly explain why sleeve and bypass are metabolic surgeries? And does the metabolic changes reverse back to where we were pre-sleeve or bypass.

Thank you

I already had the band out yesterday so there's nothing I can do now

The damage that band varies....not all doctors want to risk doing it all one time.Also insurance have specifics for coverage.

Band has to come out period!!!!

The damage that band varies....not all doctors want to risk doing it all one time.Also insurance have specifics for coverage.

Band has to come out period!!!!

I had a hamburger and ate it like a normal person last night. I was weird after 7 years. But I know it won't last long.. don't wanna get too used to it

Edited by HELLCATT81

I did the revision 2 weeks ago and I can say at this point no regrets except I did not do this surgery first. We are successful because the band teaches you to eat very slow so that is half the battle and the feeling when it is stuck is worse than any full feeling . But you know you are full and stop because we did the hole get sick because something stuck not anything I would do now because I can feel stomach acid again. The is new for me after 5 years to have to take Pepcid everyday for the acid I am hoping this will get better in time! Good luck making your decision mine was a must because of issues with my band and was experiencing type 2 diabetes again not an option since my husband past last year my kids need at least one parent here and healthy. My vote would be if you have a great surgeon do it!

Thank you for sharing your story! More and more, I am leaning towards the getting the sleeve and it's very reassuring to hear successful band-to-sleeve stories. Did you have it done in one surgery or two?

WTG on a successful surgery! I'm happy to hear you got that dreadful device out of you and can eat like a normal person again! I can't wait for that day but with restriction of course ;) I actually wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months in between because it might give me some time to try dieting on my own, which is something I'm also considering. Do you have a date for your sleeve? And how is your recovery going?

WTG on a successful surgery! I'm happy to hear you got that dreadful device out of you and can eat like a normal person again! I can't wait for that day but with restriction of course ;) I actually wouldn't mind waiting a couple of months in between because it might give me some time to try dieting on my own, which is something I'm also considering. Do you have a date for your sleeve? And how is your recovery going?
No just gotta wait about 2 months. It feels so good to not throw up every time I eat! It's actually kind of weird, cause I've been throwing up for 7 years. It's nice tho.

Edited by HELLCATT81

I have decided to go with a bypass instead of a sleeve....just really gotta get my act together to get insurance to work this out for me.

I have decided to go with a bypass instead of a sleeve....just really gotta get my act together to get insurance to work this out for me.

What made you change your mind?

Up until last week I was all set in pursuing a revision to a sleeve.Its new I saw a couple of celebrities Graham Elliot,Lisa Lampanelli and Rosie O Donnell to note.All are first time procedures for them.

Ok I felt the same way back in 2004 when I saw Sharon Osbourne and a few other stars opt for the "newest"surgery in WLS at the time the lapband.I was approved for both but decided that the less invasive.Lapband was the way to go.Had the best surgeon who performed bypasses on Al Roker,Star Jones etc...,she and Dr.Roslyn are pioneers of WLS in NY.She offered me the Up until last week I was all set in pursuing a revision to a sleeve.Its new I saw a couple of celebrities Graham Elliot,Lisa Lampanelli and Rosie O Donnell to note.All are first time procedures for them.Back in 2004 I had the option between bypass and the lapband.I immediately opted for the lapband ....not taking into account the fills/u fills and slippage.The procedure was new and long term data was not available such as RNY.

Big mistake!!!!I lost about 40 pounds initially and the fills and u fills were not wonderful and I never achieved the right fill.I started to not be able to handle several types of foods so I developed involuntary bulimia.One day I could eat a salad the next day I would violently throw up.Going to restaurants were a nightmare...a secret nightmare ...I would have dinner and have to go to the ladies room because I would need to throw up.Years of acid reflux and just fighting with my weight was a losing battle.....I developed PCOS,insulin resistance...pre diabetic...gall bladder attacks,had it removed,high cholesterol returned,developed breast cancer in 2012 And the chemo had steroids and oh boy ...gained all the weight back.Indigestion and chronic acid reflux plus port pain and stomach aches and bloating.I am miserable.

My friend who is extremely obese just had sleev surgery as well as her daughter.It is there first WLS.it seems to be working for them.She has lost a good amount of weight but has a long way to go.She feels great so I was all in...I spoke to her last week and she told me that one day she wasn't able to eat one of her small scheduled meals because she was very busy at work....she got home famished and had egg salad she ate a bit to quickly and felt like throwing up but said that slime and bile came up.AHHHHHH....by the way she doesn't know I have the band....she experienced what I go through almost every day.

My stomach is lap band abused I have all kind of gastro tests because my esophagus and stomach is a mess...The reflux rules out the sleeve for me.I would hate to make that mistake.It is not reversible,long term data is not available and on a lot of other sites I am seeing People who have had the sleeve complain of acid reflux....worse with revisions,Ulcerative sleeves,leakage which can cause infections and inadequate weight loss.Some are seeking yet another revision to RNY.I am not going to put myself through this with my lapband abused stomach.Cutting out 85% of my stomach which can't be reversed is not appealing to me.I will opt for the Good Standard once and for all the bypass....the data is there and it is the Gold Standard.No more fad procedures for me.

Up until last week I was all set in pursuing a revision to a sleeve.Its new I saw a couple of celebrities Graham Elliot,Lisa Lampanelli and Rosie O Donnell to note.All are first time procedures for them.

Ok I felt the same way back in 2004 when I saw Sharon Osbourne and a few other stars opt for the "newest"surgery in WLS at the time the lapband.I was approved for both but decided that the less invasive.Lapband was the way to go.Had the best surgeon who performed bypasses on Al Roker,Star Jones etc...,she and Dr.Roslyn are pioneers of WLS in NY.She offered me the Up until last week I was all set in pursuing a revision to a sleeve.Its new I saw a couple of celebrities Graham Elliot,Lisa Lampanelli and Rosie O Donnell to note.All are first time procedures for them.Back in 2004 I had the option between bypass and the lapband.I immediately opted for the lapband ....not taking into account the fills/u fills and slippage.The procedure was new and long term data was not available such as RNY.

Big mistake!!!!I lost about 40 pounds initially and the fills and u fills were not wonderful and I never achieved the right fill.I started to not be able to handle several types of foods so I developed involuntary bulimia.One day I could eat a salad the next day I would violently throw up.Going to restaurants were a nightmare...a secret nightmare ...I would have dinner and have to go to the ladies room because I would need to throw up.Years of acid reflux and just fighting with my weight was a losing battle.....I developed PCOS,insulin resistance...pre diabetic...gall bladder attacks,had it removed,high cholesterol returned,developed breast cancer in 2012 And the chemo had steroids and oh boy ...gained all the weight back.Indigestion and chronic acid reflux plus port pain and stomach aches and bloating.I am miserable.

My friend who is extremely obese just had sleev surgery as well as her daughter.It is there first WLS.it seems to be working for them.She has lost a good amount of weight but has a long way to go.She feels great so I was all in...I spoke to her last week and she told me that one day she wasn't able to eat one of her small scheduled meals because she was very busy at work....she got home famished and had egg salad she ate a bit to quickly and felt like throwing up but said that slime and bile came up.AHHHHHH....by the way she doesn't know I have the band....she experienced what I go through almost every day.

My stomach is lap band abused I have all kind of gastro tests because my esophagus and stomach is a mess...The reflux rules out the sleeve for me.I would hate to make that mistake.It is not reversible,long term data is not available and on a lot of other sites I am seeing People who have had the sleeve complain of acid reflux....worse with revisions,Ulcerative sleeves,leakage which can cause infections and inadequate weight loss.Some are seeking yet another revision to RNY.I am not going to put myself through this with my lapband abused stomach.Cutting out 85% of my stomach which can't be reversed is not appealing to me.I will opt for the Good Standard once and for all the bypass....the data is there and it is the Gold Standard.No more fad procedures for me.

Well you should do whatever you feel is best. The only thing that worries me about the bypass is that you miss out on A LOT of nutrients that you need. Gotta take a lot of supplements.

Well you should do whatever you feel is best. The only thing that worries me about the bypass is that you miss out on A LOT of nutrients that you need. Gotta take a lot of supplements.

I don't know if I'd say it's a "LOT". It's a small handful, but for me, it's no more than I've been taking for the past 40 years of my life, and it's no more than I would have expected to already take for the rest of my life. As you get older, you'll have to take supplements anyway, along with all the other meds, such as for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, libido, sleeping with a CPAP machine...

Seems like cutting it down to just taking Vitamin supplements and getting rid of all the other meds (and their corresponding health complications) is a huge win.

I am more worried about the possibility of leakage and ulceration of the sleeve.My esophagus screwed up and my acid reflux is so bad...thank you lapband.

Ugh I hear yah