Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any south Florida sleevers?

I have to get a psyc consult as part of my pre-op. They do not have one assigned to the hospital. Does anyone have a name of someone in the area who is familiar with this request.

The first two I called said they aren't taking on new patients. I don't consider myself a "patient" as they will only be seeing me one time to fulfill this requirement.

Can someone help?

I am in Palm Beach County and the one I went to wanted to see me more than 1 time. Be prepared that you may not get your clearance in one visit. I believe it was 6 times that she wanted to see me. Finally after the 6th visit she gave me clearance. I have been at this since June 2015. Had so many darn hoops I had to jump through including a 6 month supervised diet which was finished Nov 23rd and now I am being told the surgeon has no openings until Feb. Another wait of over 6 weeks, this is the most frustrating thing I have ever had to go through.

So sad, but I went to the URL for the meet up group and it doesn't exist. What happened? I am in West Palm Beach

Leilie

Same. Tried to join the meetup group, but it's not there. I'm scheduled for Feb 1 with Shillingford and I live in Boca. Are there any other local support groups? I don't have much support at home and I'm looking for a mentor & a buddy.

Hi Leile and soflgrl I was able to join when it was first started. She had a meet and greet event planned at a park and it happened to be on the day I had a community garage sale. I gather no one showed up as shortly after that planned event the meetup group was pulled. Each of the individual Doctors should have a support group available for you to go to each month.

My surgery is Tuesday Jan 26th I am having a gallbladder removal and the sleeve. Today I had my pre-admission 4 hour workshop and am all set for the surgery.

After surgery if there are others truly interested I could try to start one again. If you are, please send me an email. Offer some suggestions as to what you all might be interested in doing and see happen with the group.

I meant to send me an email from this site.

Hey South Florida Sleevers how is everyone doing? I had my sleeve on Tuesday Jan 26th and was back home on Jan 28th. I had 3 procedures done, gallbladder removal, hernia repair and the sleeve. I was in surgery for 2 hours and in recovery for 3 hours. They couldn't get the pain under control. They had to give me 30 mg of Dilaudid and then finally I was wheeled to my room. I remember nothing but being wheeled through the door of my room around 6:30 pm Tuesday night. I was so glad when I got to suck on ice chips. I had terrible pain on my left side under the breast. I was not nausea as I had gotten a patch for that the night before.

On Wednesday after they took out the catheter I had to go to the bathroom. Of course the nurses helped me out of the bed and I used my walker to get to the toilet but when I was done I didn't have enough strength to get off the toilet. They called for the PT to come with the shoulder belt and the 3 of them lifted me off the toilet. I had a weird new pain but thought nothing of it as I was still in a lot of pain. The Dr wanted me to go home Wednesday but the nurses explained what had just happened and that I was still in too much pain to go home. Beside I still hadn't been for a walk yet. About 2 hours later a PT came back and I did do a short walk. I couldn't eat anything until almost Wednesday dinner, which was the Jello. Spent Wednesday night in the hospital with more Dilaudid and by Thursday 2 am I was switched to Tylenol. By 8 am Thursday I was ready to go home. Very little pain and was released at noontime.

On Thursday when I came home my room mate was excepting me to go to my bed but I went to my recliner instead as I felt fine. No pain from the surgeries that all left on Thursday. However on Friday I developed severe lower back shoulder pain whenever I tried to sit up or get down into anything the recliner, bed, the toilet etc. Friday it took me 4 hours but I finished a Protein shake. Since then I have been able to get in 60 to 80 grams of Protein Soups and shakes per day and except for the lower back pain I feel great.

Went to the followup yesterday, all the incisions are healing well and the Dr thought I looked great. I have lost 17 pounds since Jan 26th. Today I went to the PCP about the lower back pain. He thought maybe the PT fractured a rib. I was able to stand up without my walker to take 2 X-rays.No fractured rib just a very bad inside bruise and was given liquid Tylenol with codeine. I am hoping that stuff will kick in soon as this back pain brings tears to my eyes otherwise I am feeling fantastic.

How about the rest of you? Did anyone else have surgery yet? How are you feeling? Lets see if we can't get this group to support each other a bit more. I am still very seriously thinking of starting a meetup group. In fact I would like to do a bike challenge with all of you next Feb 2017. I'd love for all of use to do the Loop Around the Lake for Literacy. We could train together and start a team and probably not only raise some funds for them but give us all a wonderful sense of pride for biking one of the 4 Loops available. How about it, is anyone interested?

Hi sofkgrl

I know your struggling with a cold and having just had surgery but I hope today is treating you a lot better. Getting down some Protein Soups and shakes and I am sure you will feel better.

As for the Bike challenge. Each year in Feb Palm Beach County does a fundraiser for Literacy. They call it the Loop around the Lake. There are 4 distance Loops you can Bike ride around Lake Okeechobee in Port Mayaca Fl. There is 14, 34, 68 and 115 miles. There is a fee of about $80 to register. I believe you get a Breakfast and lunch, a t-shirt and a medal despite the loop you bike. If you get people to donate to your ride and you collect $200.00 you get the registration fee back. The 14 34 and 68 mile loops are all on the paved road of the dikes, The 115 full loop is all on the roads around the Lake.

I plan to use this as my fitness challenge for 2017. I want to start a team and if people are local to Lake Worth/Lantana maybe we can train together or meetup once a month for some short rides in various parks when we are able to have enough strength to riding a few miles. I live just down the street from Prince Park and I know that Bike path around Lake Osborne is 10 miles that might be a ride we can all do during the Holidays. If you do a search this weekend you will find the website as they are doing the Loop around the Lake for Literacy Saturday.

Do you need a special bike for that?

Nope in fact if you want to you can rent a bike from them the day of the vent. The price is $60/day with no minimum and you can also ship your bike to the event if you have no other way of getting it there but there is a fee for that as well. I have an adult tricycle and they said it would be fine for me to ride that but I have to start at the back of the pack for the distance loop I want to do. If we get enough people interested I have all the details and we can have several meeting to set it all up and make reservations for a motel in the area as it starts super early in the morning so I will probably go the Friday night and come back on Sunday.

I'm a south Florida sleever. I'm from West Palm Beach and I'm getting sleeved March 17, I am starting to become afraid. The closer it gets the more afraid I am. I know that I'm going to get it done because this is truly what I want but I'm still scared. Scared of what you may ask? Dying during surgery. Not bragging but I'm not on any medications im just over weight to me and the Dr but to others they say I'm not. That I can just exercise and lose SOME weight. I hear that this is the best decision that some people have made. I've done my research on my dr and he has no malpractice and no sanctions etc he has been practicing for 18 years. I feel comfortable with him and his team it's just when I'm alone and I start thinking I think about WHAT IF? I have two under age children and I feel horrible thinking about what if. I'm sure this surgeon can do this with his eyes closed. Sorry to be a Debbie downer. On the upside I think about March 18 it will be done and behind me. Everything else I can deal with its just walking through that door.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App