Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met with my NUT today for the first time.

At least its good that I can finally say that. Since I have to go thru 6 months of it, I am glad I like her.

The sad truth is that she didn't tell me anything that I don't already know. I have been around a lot of years and on a lot of diets. I have the knowledge its just that I don't have the will power. That's what got me in this shape. Hopefully with the nutritionists help and then the sleeve that will kick me over the edge to long lasting success.

Mimisan- Unfortunately I think most of us are in your same situation. We could probably teach the classes! I am require to do 6 NUT visits too. I have my 5th tomorrow and my final one on Aug 19th. The NUT isn't telling me anything I don't already know....the difference is that I know she is looking at what I am eating and I am accountable. This has really helped me. Good luck on your journey!

I am not sure how your visits and approval process goes, but for me, the Nutritionist's clearance was the HARDEST to get. She wanted weight loss, consistent tracking on MFP, and demonstration of high Protein intake. While these things seem fairly simple, after a two week stretch and a 3 pound gain, she withheld clearance, thereby extending my time. It was frustrating, and very challenging. I understand her job is to help me embrace these changes, but it was hard knowing that all I needed was the green light from her in order to go to the surgeon.

I am also new and had what I think is my first and only meeting with the NUT on June 30th. I saw the Dr for the first time June 17th. During the Dr visit he told me my insurance required a 6 month supervised diet. I was under the impressing I would be weighing in and seeing the Dr for the next 6 months. You all seem to have to report into the NUT. When I met with the NUT she told me what I had to do after the surgery not before. When I asked what diet I was to follow she said "What did the DR tell you to do? I told her I had been following Nutrisystem for the past year but had only lost about 35 pounds and the DR told me to doing NS. She asked me if I wanted the surgery and I told her yes so she said well keep doing NS. But I only lost 35 pounds in a year that is hardly nothing and I felt that gave you too much carbs. As in addition to their food I was suppose to eat 5 more carbs. She said well then cut back to 1 carb. I have done this for the past 2 weeks and have lost 10 pounds. That was the only advise she gave me for the next 6 months. I don't know maybe I am wrong and didn't hear right correctly what the DR was saying. I weigh in again on the 22nd with I believe the Dr so I am more prepared to ask him questions about this 6 month journey.

I am doing this all alone as I have no family and all my friends are obese and are dead set against surgery so I haven't told them. I sure could use you three as friends, I hope you don't mind if I send you a friends request.

Add me for sure, you and I are in the same time line

By the way your Nut doesn't seem very interested. My group wants hi Protein, low carbs and I have to follow up and weigh monthly.

You can add me as well because I am on the same schedule. My initial meeting and first nutritional visit was on June 16 and my second NUT is on Thursday

My NUT told me 65-85 grams of Protein a day, then veggies, fruit, and very little carbs and that I needed to stay between 1000-1200 cal. a day. (plus at least 64 oz of water- of course!)

These diet that you ladies are speaking about are the supervised diets you are to be on, Correct? I see the Dr again next Wednesday so I am going to ask him again if he really wants me to continue with Nutrisystem. Maybe he misunderstood me or I misunderstood him. It seems odd that they don't have me on the similar diets to what you ladies are on.

I agree Mimisan my Nut seemed more interested in the after surgery diet than the 6 month supervised diet. I left saying she didn't tell me new. I had read the sleeve booklet the Dr gave me before I met with her.I really felt it was a waste of 3 hours of my time a it is a 45 minute ride one way to this place.

You see, you say you "lack the willpower" but it's not the willpower that's the problem. It's the disconnect in the body. Like you, I KNOW what I'm suppose to eat and how much to the point, I actually corrected my nutritionist when I had gestational diabetes about portion sizes when she misspoke the portion sizes I was allowed and she stopped and looked at me blank faced and then said "oh, you're right!" I guess she didn't expect big old heavy me to know anything about nutrition! We know the score, it's our bodies that don't seem to understand. Willpower has almost nothing to do with it....maybe a little, but for the most part I don't think it's fair to yourself to say it's your lack of willpower to make it happen when your body is screaming "WE'RE STARVING! EAT OR WE'LL DIE!!!"

ssflbelle- yes, that is the diet that I was told I needed to be on before surgery. It would get me used to having a lot of Protein and not a lot of carbs which is what we will be on for the rest of our life . My NUT always checks to see if I have the adequate Protein amount. So far with the 40 pounds that I have lost only 2 of these were lean muscle- all the rest was fat! She told me if we don't get enough protein that our bodies actually use the protein from our own body to fuel itself. I have a fitbit so I just record my food in their app and it figures out my protein grams for me- it is really simple. But-- each doctor seems to be slightly different so I would suggest that you follow what your doctor wants you to do.

I just found out today when I went online and registered with my insurance company that they denied my payment with the NUT that the hospital told me was approved when I got their to register with them. :o I do not have an extra $250.00 at this time to pay for that lousy NUT meeting I spoke about in this earlier post. So Ladies what do I do now? If the NUT was denied what else will they deny? I am really concerned this surgery will never happen and I will have to wind up paying for all the testing and other procedures the Dr wants me to do in preparation for this surgery. Have any of you had the NUT not paid for by the insurance but they did pay for the rest of the procedures and surgery. I feel like I am really going to have problems with the insurance and have to fight and I hate fighting. :(

I met my surgeon on 6/16. He accepted me into the program for sleeve. I've met everyone I need to meet and did every test I need to take. I've learned a lot about Protein and why they want us to have so much. All the test and labs came out good. I'm on the road to a new me.