Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Much Weight Did You Lose in the First Couple if Weeks?

I'm wondering how soon I'll begin to see weight loss. How much weight did you lose in the first couple of weeks? The first month?

My surgery was June 4, as of today I lost 20 pounds. It seems very slow, considering the small amount of food I am eating.

Sleeved 6/18/15, down 28lbs

Sleeved April 27 and I lost 20 pounds in my first week post-op. Now down approx. 43 since surgery.

I am a month out from surgery today. I did a 2-week pre-op liquid diet as well. Lost 12 lbs. with the pre-op. Have lost 23 lbs. since surgery. Total 35 lbs...Feels amazing.

I'm 1 month post-op today. Have lost 18 pounds since surgery.

Sleeved 6/22...... lost 25.2 as of today, 3 weeks after surgery date. And I started as a "Low BMI'er" and the weight loss normally is slower for those people.

I'm wondering how soon I'll begin to see weight loss. How much weight did you lose in the first couple of weeks? The first month?

This question is a slippery slope. Some people are fast losers and some are slow losers. Some even gain weight in that first month. What often happens with post like this are the majority of the post are from people who experience big loses. If you aren't one of them you may be setting yourself up fro discouragement.

Take the responses here with a large grain of salt and NEVER compare your weight loss journey to someone else's. There are too many contributing factors to guarantee just because one person lost 30 pounds in one month that you will as well. If you are a slow loser and lose 10 lbs in that first month you may feel bad. Worse yet, if you are the random person who gains 5 lbs (it happens) you may really feel bad.

This question is a slippery slope. Some people are fast losers and some are slow losers. Some even gain weight in that first month. What often happens with post like this are the majority of the post are from people who experience big loses. If you aren't one of them you may be setting yourself up fro discouragement.

Take the responses here with a large grain of salt and NEVER compare your weight loss journey to someone else's. There are too many contributing factors to guarantee just because one person lost 30 pounds in one month that you will as well. If you are a slow loser and lose 10 lbs in that first month you may feel bad. Worse yet, if you are the random person who gains 5 lbs (it happens) you may really feel bad.

True. Just from seeing the other responses in this thread, I feel like $h1t.

OK, you can feel better after reading this, then:

The first two weeks post-op I lost 6.8 pounds.

Who the f**k cares. I have reached my weight loss goal (3 months ago) and am now 5 pounds under that goal and maintaining very well.

Those who lose the fastest the first few months post-op were the fattest to start with. They also tend to be younger males with lots of muscle mass. Your pre-surgery weight was similar to mine -- you were 222, I was 216. That's actually pretty light-weight for WLS. And for obvious reasons we lose slower than the heavyweights do.

Your success with WLS has absolutely NOTHING to do with how much you lose the first few weeks or the first month. So stop making yourself crazy.

You're going to be fine. :)

@lauraellen80 - I had a pretty big weight loss the first 2 weeks. I lost 26 lbs. However I was also pretty big to start with. My highest weight was 414, day of surgery I was 412. However at my 6 week f/u I only lost 6 more. Still 32lbs in 6 weeks was a good start. After that things settled down and I've lost between 10 -12 lbs a month pretty much consistently. Like @@VSGAnn2014 said, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. What matters is that you make the lifestyle changes necessary to lose consistently and maintain it. Those initial big numbers are likely to never be repeated.

I guess part of my concern is that I've read over and over and over on this site that you need make sure to lose as much as possible in the first few months, because you'll have a much harder time losing weight after that, so it makes me feel like I've wasted this month that I'll never get back.

That, and the PA at my surgeon's office told me (ironically, when I brought up my concerns with not losing very much on the pre-op diet), that they expect to see a 20-pound loss in the first month after surgery. I don't know what they are going to say when they see I haven't met that. I guess the rest of my stomach is already in a medical waste dump by now, so it's not like they can stick it back in because I didn't meet their expectations... but I dunno, maybe I'm afraid that they'll just write me off as a non-compliant lost cause?

@@VSGAnn2014

You made me feel a lot better, people keep on asking how much did you lose? I am kind of at a stand still. People ask what makes you think you are going to lose anymore.. It drives me crazy because I haven't lost anymore since I last seen them. I started out at 212 pounds, I am at 189 since june 4. No pre-op diet.