Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Lap Band?

With the sleeve there are a lot LESS cases of Vitamin deficiency. With gastric bypass people get low on Vitamins and can not get caught up with mass injections

yeah I canceled my gastric bypass surgery in 2012. They pushed me for that and I never felt comfortable doing it. I'm glad I didn't. I'm definitely set on going for the sleeve.

Great choice! I've heard good things about the sleeve and only had a good experience with it. No technique is perfect, but the sleeve went very smoothly for me, and I absolutely love this new restriction and hope I keep it the rest of my life (no Vitamin deficiencies either, strangely, my Vitamin D is too high right now)

My family has a history of Diabetes on both sides of my family. My Uncle lost both legs, another a foot, my father his kidneys. All were adult onset, eventually insulin dependent. I've had a long struggle with weight loss, hypertension, etc. and was on a trajectory to see Diabetes in my near future.

For me the band was a consideration, but not an option. It would not be permanent, it's mechanical, can fail, needs maintenance and would eventually go away. Not to knock it but it is not for me.

The benefit of the sleeve is that you don't have the Vitamin dependencies as with others, it is permanent and is a positive control. You know you can only eat so much, hopefully you won't exceed that frequently, and there is feedback if you eat too much. As the sleeve can later be revised to a duodenal switch it provides another stepping stone, should you need it.

I reviewed all of the options with my surgeon well before hand. I've had friends - with diabetes - who have had a full bypass leave insulin, reduced their BP, etc. - but the switch was the best option.

I'm now 13 days past the operation (first couple of days, not the easiest) but generally getting around, drinking and eating a little. You may question your decision after you have it done but you are not alone in that. Good luck!

Chose sleeve over band, did not want to worry about fills, slippages, etc. I am happy with my decision

I would do the sleeve over the band for sure, but I would wait until you guys have more kids if that's what you want to do. My surgeon specifically said they don't recommend surgery now if you plan to have kids within the next two years. Plus I wouldn't want to risk gaining the weight back after pregnancy after having surgery. But I know it's a catch 22 because being overweight makes it harder to get pregnant.