Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I'm new. I'm just starting my journey to WLS with an RNY at the end of the road. I have a six month supervised period to get through and I'm making lots of changes. Weaning off sodas, cutting carbs and sugar, smaller portions etc.

But what has always failed me is my hunger. I'm so, so hungry. I need tips to get through this. Will this last forever? How will I make it when I feel like I'm starving.

I wish I could say I was craving something but I'm not. I just feel like a pit to be filled. :P

Anyone else know this feeling?

Hi! Congratulations on taking the first steps to getting healthy!

A couple of tips I would suggest probably of which you have already heard but will help you build very good habits you will need down the road.

Start by focusing on 1 or 2 habits at a time. Don't try to change everything at once. If losing soda is one of them and you really must lose that one, replace it with Water or sf drinks like iced tea or crystal light. Make sure you are drinking all day long. A minimum of 64 oz. this will help prepare you for what you will need to do after surgery to stay hydrated. I am not kidding about this one, it is the number one thing you will focus on coming straight out of the operating room. Oh by the way, many times when we think we are hungry it is our brains telling us we are dehydrated. When you feel hungry drink Water.

Secondly I would try to start eating more Proteins and less bad carbs. Leverage the good ones like vegetables and fruit. Protein is more dense and will both fill you up faster and keep you full longer.

If you are really up for some significant change to get your hunger under control, you could even try leveraging the pre op diet now for a week or two just to reset your system. Your doctors office could share that diet with you. It basically gets rid of the sugar your body craves, shrinks your liver and will even shrink your stomach some. Then you could start back on normal Proteins and good carbs and lots of fluids. Yes, you will be hungry for the first few days but I promise it does get better and you will likely have to do that a couple weeks before your surgery anyway. If you choose to do this, the best thing you could do is stay away from sugar and bad carbs because it really sets you up for success down the road.

To answer the question about hunger, yes for a period of time actual hunger does go away post surgery. The problem is, you still fight head hunger. Head hunger is a real issue that every one of us have had to learn how to recognize. It is that automatic response when you feel hungry but your actually not. I fight mine by first drinking water which does the trick almost every time. If that doesn't work I go do something to disrupt my brain. After a few minutes that feeling goes away.

Post surgery your tummy will actually get full on very little food and your real hunger will likely be gone for the first 6 months or so. In fact, you may forget to eat or gave to set a timer to tell yourself it is time to have a little Protein and good carbs.

I promise this will all make sense to you but the best thing you can do for yourself is take one or two habits at a time. The ones you have chosen are good ones. Leverage sf fluids to help you and start eating some good quality proteins and good carbs to curb your appetite.

A few more good habits to focus on when you are ready to add a new one: while eating try getting rid of distractions so you can pay attention to when you are really full. This means eat at the table with no tv, iPad etc. Eat very slowly so your brain has time to catch up with your stomach. Chew your food a lot. All of these will both help your hunger and build good eating habits.

Good luck on your journey! I wish you all the best.

Oh, and to answer your question about does everyone know this feeling of being hungry the answer is YES! We have all lived it and have had to learn different habits. The surgery is a great tool that really helps you feel full faster. It is up to you to work on making sure what you put onto your new stomach keeps you full longer. If you put the same sugar and carbs in as before surgery, you will get hungrier faster and end up eating around your surgery.

You are definately doing a great job of recognizing that already! Keep up the great work! I know you can do this. Just keep asking yourself am I really hungry? Or should I be drinking more fluids or focused on something else.

@@Djmohr Thank you so much for your reply. I think I need to slow it down a bit and acclimate instead of going cold turkey. I have the time to do that. Never thought I'd be grateful for a six month waiting period.

I'm going to work on getting in my fluids (A real problem). And practice replacing carbs and sugar without beating myself up when I slip.

That sounds like a good strategy! Good luck!

I'm just starting too. I have my consult this Fri. The one thing that has helped me through my million diets is Fiber. Like when I make a sandwich, I measure out my meat and/or cheese, grab lettuce and Tomato and use sprouted bread vs "diet bread" or that nasty whole wheat mush crap. The high fiber and living whole grains really fill the belly. Carrots or just blanched broccoli also help mean knuckle it through. The great part about carrots is you could literally eat a whole 1lb bag and not really add up a lot of calories as long as you leave the ranch alone.

I know what you mean. I am constantly hungry! Not looking forward to the next few months. I do find that not having carbonated beverages reduces that sensation. Having a hot drink, helps, and so does having something like bouillon or stock. Also eating small frequent meals helps with Protein and fruit, or veggies. Let me know if you find something that really works. Best of luck to you!!

The hunger I've felt during my pre-op diet is a good thing, in my opinion.

It lets me know I'm alive and reminds me I'm heading in the right direction.

Just being honest......I need to feel more hunger in my life.

Before this year......I can't really remember being hungry very often because I was snaking on junk food.

@Djmohr nailed down some great advice above. "Head Hunger" What an accurate description. I'm going to wager that solving the riddle of "head hunger" is as big a part of the game as our restricted calorie intake.

I like your perspective! But being a former anorexic I try to avoid it because that period in my life was hell. That's one of the things I need to change my internal conversation with. That and the need to eat if I am upset. Eating won't change anything nor will being hungry.