Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont know why I went and read a bunch of threads from people who are years postop. Now im worried that like some of them I will have all these issues many years down the road. Are these supper common that 10 plus years down the road ill have all these Iron issues or ulcers. I will talk to my surgeon but just wondering yalls take. It makes me worried about having it done. Plus it seems many of them after the first couple years struggle to keep the weight off. Like they can eat the amounts they use to. I know its a tool and not a solution, but is the tool really worth it. Just got all my preop classes and such done and now waiting for them to submit it to insurance. Doubt is creeping in my head..

I do think there are many people who have problems down the road. When asking my surgical team about this they were very up front with me about the statistics which you can find on line for your particular surgery.

Those that gain back most or all of their weight revert to old bad habits like drinking soda, alcohol and not eating properly. Remember this really is a tool.

In terms of people dealing with nutrient issues, many stop taking their Vitamins and do not go in for their regular labs. Ulcers happen for many reasons, some of which come from taking medications you are not supposed to.

I too have read many of those threads and usually that person will say, I didn't take my Calcium or I started taking ibuprofen for my arthritis.

This type of surgery is a life choice. Once you make it, you are in it for the long haul. Some people think it is a quick fix to lose the weight and revert to old habits.

You have to decide who you are going to be 10 years down the road. I know that I am never going back to that unhealthy place with multiple comorbitities an almost unable to walk.

I for one will follow the plan that includes taking my Vitamins, getting all my Protein, and going to regular doctors appointments.

I hope this helps but more importantly you must follow up with your surgical team and better understand the statistics for your type of surgery. Know exactly what you are getting into because you are making a life choice.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I have wondered the same questions. Honestly, the closer my date gets the more scared I become. I do understand the fear of the unknown long term.

One question I would like to ask is if anyone has actually asked their surgeon what happens in the event of arthritis? What if a need arises for an NSAID or anti-inflammatory? There are so many illnesses that may call for for a steroid, another "no no" after surgery.

While I've also made a point of reading both positive and negative experiences, there was one recurring theme that was impossible to ignore, and pretty much cemented my decision to proceed.

I don't have precise statistics but I'd bet that 99 percent, even those who had complications, regains, or revisions, have said that it was the best thing they'd ever done for themselves, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

That's a strong positive that's pretty hard to ignore. I'll be having mine on 07/29 and I've no doubts or qualms about going through with it.

Hi all! I had my surgery 4 days ago. All has went well. I wanted to let you know that I am 61 years old and have had arthritis for the last 7 years.a result of my obesity. I have never taken NSAIDs because of other medical concerns. Other pain medications work just fine. As for worry about other medical problems that some have experienced, you have to take in to consideration that there is much more knowledge out there now than there was 10 years ago. With the help of the Internet and sites like this we are better informed about what we need to do to be successful. Even the specialty of bariatrics is much more advanced. I am planning on following the letter of the law when it comes to my new life. I have never been a "normal" weight, even since kindergarten. That's as far back as I can remember.

In these few short days I can feel the difference. I have no hunger. And even tho I know it may return some day, I'm gonna fight for my life to take care of my new little friend. My new stomach!! I've been given a chance to live a new life, even at my age. I gotta lot of living left to do! ????????????

Good points! It is just hard to make a lifelong decision with so many unknowns. :) I do want this. I gained all my weight trying to get pregnant when my hormones went all out of whack with PCOS. I am now at the point I just cant take it and have tried everything. So y even if things are a little scary you all are right most people would do it again so im going for it.

@@nervous nana

I too have both psoriatic arthritis and osteo arthritis of the spine. I just went through another spinal fusion 3 weeks ago. I have not taken NSAIDs since before my surgery and I am not so sure they did anything before my surgery for me.

Since hanging my surgery the inflammation in my body and joints has all but disappeared. My ankles, knees and even thumb joint used to swell so badly that I was going in for steroid injections regularly.

The only thing that has not improved has been my spine and that is because I did so very much damage to it being so heavy. I have had 5 spinal surgeries now and I am really hoping this is my last because having your spine operated on has to be one of the most painful and long recoveries.

I still get steroid injections if needed and recently even had to take a medrol dose Pam (prednisone) while recuperating from this recent cervical operations.

There are plenty of pain medications that work for me now that did not work for me when I was 310lbs and on so many other medicines. I now take 1 daily prescription for hypothyroid. If I have pain I usually take Tylenol and it dies the trick. However if I have severe pain, I can take a narcotic pain reliever as well. I did that for the first 2 weeks following spine surgery.

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns they can reassure you about how arthritis is I,packed by the results of your surgery. My joints have never felt better. I can literally walk for 5 miles when before I was lucky if I could make it down the block. I can literally run up and down the stairs where before I would have to take them one at a time and would huff and puff like I was going to Keel over.

This decision will make your condition better. It has been the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Good luck to you!

@@Djmohr you always make me feel better when I start to chicken out. I am trying to live without NSAIDS now bc I know I will have to later but boy is it painful. The joints in all my fingers, my knees, and hips not to mention the excruciating pain of plantar faciitis. I stopped my prescription medicine now by choice but I know later I won't be able to as I also plan to do this the right way. I am so hopeful I feel much better afterwards. Thank you so much for reassuring us all when we have fear or doubts.

Djmohr, I hope and pray that your spine issues are healed soon and that this will be your last surgery. I can only imagine what fear you must face with those surgeries. I pray you will experience relief soon. You so deserve it. I did admire your perseverance and determination in all you have accomplished.