Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 lbs.....to get approved!

Ok I went to the seminar...I went for consultation. I have great insurance.The only problem is I have to come in that office one time 10lbs heavier. I know I way 200 whats the problem? Im obsessed the more I eat the more it doesnt show on the scale. I have ate like a pig for three days and I lost 2 pounds. What in the world? Would you put something in your bra or pants? Tell me how I can make this happen. I know it sounds like a joke but I need it fast. Please someone give a suggestion besides Milkshakes. Can I take something to help be bloat or something?This is so against what I have done for 20 years . :faint:

I just sent you a PM.

10lbs is not that far away, do you have comorbities? If so, how many? Sometimes that will play a factor in approving vs weight alone.

This is the first I've heard someone is required to gain weight! I have to lose it before I will be ready for surgery.

This happened to me and my surgeon filled in the paper work that i was an inch shorter making my bmi higher they also let me hold my purse when they weighed me in.

I've heard people mention putting rolled quarters in your pockets/shoes..and wearing heavy shoes.

I am always weighed without shoes, so depends on your doctor.

What a silly requirement!

Oh my goodness don't gain weight intentionally! Just weigh yourself down with objects, not fat. Put rolls of quarters in your pockets, wear small weights around your waist. Do something like that but don't gain fat weight. You'll regret it when you are trying to lose that last 10 lbs!

I totally understand my BMI was at 47 or 48 and my insurance said it had to be at 50 so it would be covered -after my copay it paid.

I talke dto the doc and they wrote a letter and I got approval kind of quickly I was also planning on gaining weight thankgoodness I did not have to

I did research on the internet and wrote down everything that I had going on with me that could be blamed on weight and I gave it to my doc to send to the insurance company.

I was so thankful

Talk to the doc be open about it tell him if you have to you will gain the weight they may be more willing to help you

Oh that's so insane, it makes me so mad to hear what people have to go through to get what is their RIGHT - quality healthcare to fix the problems they have. 10lb is neither here nor there and it is utterly ridiculous to lose out over the small amount of weight.

Do you have a set of adjustable dumbells - the ones where you slide the weight plates on and off. I had about 5kg of those ready to go in my pockets, but I chickened out in the end. And didnt need them anyway because in Australia we have a healthcare system that actually is fair and makes sense.

I'd try to avoid gaining actual weight if I could but if I had to, I'd do it. Its not good for you but if it gets you the surgery. Lots of salt, bloat up. Eeek.

Wow your BMI has to be 50???

That's pretty high..

It's 40 for my insurance (if they covered it on my policy).

OR 35 with 2 co-morbities.

Try drinking a whole bunch of Water before you get weighed, as well as wearing heavy clothing. I probably wouldn't do quarters and the like, but I wouldn't want to gain 10 lbs of fat, either. You could eat lots of salty things to retain more water too...

Try drinking a whole bunch of Water before you get weighed, as well as wearing heavy clothing. I probably wouldn't do quarters and the like, but I wouldn't want to gain 10 lbs of fat, either. You could eat lots of salty things to retain more Water too...

The only problem with that is that it can cause blood pressure issues.

I still vote for weights of some sort.

I'm 5'9", and I weighed 255 when I was trying to get approved for my band. I was so close to the 40 BMI cutoff for my insurance, but not quite there. I actually bought ankle weights, wore a jacket, kept my shoes on, and told them I was an inch shorter. All in all, it jacked my BMI barely over 40. The taller you are, the harder it is to gain that extra BMI point. Anyway, I ended up gaining the weight I weighed in at anyway waiting for my insurance approval and jumping through hoops. Don't purposefully try to gain weight, but do do what you need to do to have the surgery if it is the right thing for you.