Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who had the sleeve and travels for work?

HI, I am planning on getting the sleeve in September, when I can schedule a few weeks off, and was wondering if anyone here who's had the sleeve travels for a living like I do. How long after you had the sleeve could you travel for work? How did you handle your eating restrictions? I would really appreciate any guidance you have. Thanks!

I travel a lot for work. I am two years out now. I had a trip planned for 3 weeks post op. It went fine. The surgery went well and I felt good. It is about making sure you plan ahead, have the right Protein Drinks and food available.

I have more trouble now then right after surgery as I can eat a lot more and cheating during long business meetings when they have lots of breaks and unhealthy food sitting around.

Good luck

I too travel for work. (from Louisiana to the Middle East) Hopped a plane to the Middle East 18 days after my surgery. No issues for me, other than convincing the stewardess's that I needed more Water. I did get up and walk around more during the flight. And I made sure to carry my Protein and Vitamin supplements with me in my check in bags.

Just to follow up. I am just over one year post op, and still packing my Protein and Vitamins. As kdnhk said, it is real easy to slip back into bad habits when away from home. I have no problem explaining why I dont do meals like the rest of them do, and just snack on a Protein Bar or beef Jerky while everyone leaves for lunch. I usually try to get my 'walk' in while everyone else goes to eat. Showing folks my before and after pictures helps to explain alot :)

I travel quite a bit for work as well, and had the same worries. The biggest challenge for me is to stay hydrated. I buy a Water inside airport security so I have some in case I don't get the upgrade to 1st Class. At check in to the hotel, I always ask for extra Water. If I have a rental car on the trip, I stop and buy some Protein shakes and water when I get to the destination, otherwise I make sure I pack a shaker and some Protein powder. Meals are no big deal as I can eat shashimi, Soups, chili, seafood now. I did have to fly at week 3, was a little rough....make sure you check a bag, no lifting over you head to get it into the overhead bin!!!!

You will love how much easier you fit into the airplane seat and the fact that you have a TON of slack in the seatbelt. I actually was eating dinner last week with a client who was overweight and had one bite of the dessert I ordered and the waitress laughed when she took it away and asked if that was how I stayed so skinny.....I was trying to figure out who she was talking about until I realized it was me! Happy travels.

Thank you everyone. This info helps me feel good about my timeline and hopefully I will be joining you guys very soon!

I travel a lot as well. It is much easier when you have a rental car and can go get things or if you are staying in one city for the week. I was doing multiple cities in a week without a car and it was brutal. I was dehydrated, couldn't find decent Protein Shakes anywhere, etc. I pack some Protein with me at all times and if I'm going to run out of bars I will ship them to the location I'm headed to. It can be difficult though. My nurses said to wait a month before flying but my doctor said two weeks was fine.

Do get up and walk around to prevent blood clots.