Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to Tijuana, anyone else?

I highly recommend Dr Ortiz and Dr Martinez at OCC in TJ.

They were both fantastic, kept the mood light (even though I was ball of nerves) and answered all my questions.

Their staff is amazing to deal with and anytime I've needed anything from getting my surgery notes, to calling the nutritionist they've been there or had the answer in a timely fashion.

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I had surgery on November 10 2014 and have lost 160lbs. I look forward to exercise every day because it gives me energy and it doesn't hurt and I'm not winded a few moments in. I rode my bike in the mountains with my husband for four hours yesterday and could have gone longer.

Today, I'd rather have my healthy prepared meals than stop for something on the go. And if I don't have anything, I run into any grocery store and get something that is kind to my body.

I'm feeling so much better and looking forward to having the excess skin taken off with them as well.

Good luck to all!

@@nursey 46 Dr Ariel Ortiz did my sleeve on June-22. I had a great experience and everything went smoothly.

Congrats! I am going on Aug 11, any recommendations?

Edited by Pejela

I WENT TO Tijuana, MY SURGON WAS MARIO RAMOS Camelo

I HAD MY SLEEVE SEPT. 26TH 2014

WAS THE BEST DECISION EVER. DOWN 82 POUNDS. STARTING WEIGHT 217 CURRENT WEIGHT 135

Congrats!!! So happy for you! That's my goal weight!

@@Pejela You'll be on Clear liquids while recovering at the Marriott. If you have some favorite Clear Liquids such as Vitamin Water Zero, I recommend bringing a few with you. (Must be in checked bag). The little shop at the Marriott has a limited selection of beverages. Water, broth, and popsicles are available as well. The popsicles weren't that great but they helped keep me hydrated. I was able to purchase Vitamin Water Zero at the San Diego airport to sip on once I was through security.

Lip balm was the most recommended item to me. I didn't end up needing it.

Comfortable shoes and clothes are a must. You'll want to walk a lot as soon as you come down from the anesthesia.

Good luck!

@@Pejela You'll be on clear liquids while recovering at the Marriott. If you have some favorite clear liquids such as Vitamin Water Zero, I recommend bringing a few with you. (Must be in checked bag). The little shop at the Marriott has a limited selection of beverages. Water, broth, and popsicles are available as well. The popsicles weren't that great but they helped keep me hydrated. I was able to purchase Vitamin Water Zero at the San Diego airport to sip on once I was through security.

Lip balm was the most recommended item to me. I didn't end up needing it.

Comfortable shoes and clothes are a must. You'll want to walk a lot as soon as you come down from the anesthesia.

Good luck!

Thanks Scott! Very helpful. How is your post op journey going?

They were both fantastic, kept the mood light (even though I was ball of nerves) and answered all my questions.

Their staff is amazing to deal with and anytime I've needed anything from getting my surgery notes, to calling the nutritionist they've been there or had the answer in a timely fashion.

My only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I had surgery on November 10 2014 and have lost 160lbs. I look forward to exercise every day because it gives me energy and it doesn't hurt and I'm not winded a few moments in. I rode my bike in the mountains with my husband for four hours yesterday and could have gone longer.

Today, I'd rather have my healthy prepared meals than stop for something on the go. And if I don't have anything, I run into any grocery store and get something that is kind to my body.

I'm feeling so much better and looking forward to having the excess skin taken off with them as well.

Good luck to all!

Wow! What a great journey thanks for sharing and congratulations to you and your success! Did the hunger go away after the surgery? Did certain things you loved no longer taste good? How hard was it to avoid bread, Pasta and rice?

@@Pejela I'm doing great! I'm down about 75 pounds total and down about 30 since surgery. I still have a way to go yet but I'll get there.

@@Pejela

My only suggestions for day of surgery is to bring an extension cord if you want to use electronics, the plug in is far from the bed. Bring headphones... There is a dance club near by that was fairly loud at night time. Also I'm happy that I brought my heating pad to the hospital.

There are a couple things, like strawberries, that I throw up instantly... My doctor here said that may change.

It's a no brainer to stay away from bread and Pasta. It fills me up so quickly and I usually end up in pain or "burping" it up because it won't stay down.

Now that I'm nine months post op, I've figured out tricks if I'm in a hurry to find the food that's kind to my body. I needed dinner on the go the other day. Went to the grocery store and bought 2 hard boiled eggs, hummus and some veggies. I didn't finish it all and it only cost $3.00.

If you have any other questions I'm happy to help... Best of luck with your surgery.

@@Pejela I'm doing great! I'm down about 75 pounds total and down about 30 since surgery. I still have a way to go yet but I'll get there.

YAH YOU DID! that's amazing!

Congrats!!

Wow!!! Fantabulous! Way to go! Must feel so good, a friend of mine said when you lose the weight and if you want to actually fathom how much you lost other than a number (of course wait until you can lift) lift the amount you lost and you will see how much weight truly you relieved your joints and body from! So happy for you! Keep on trekking you are an inspiration! Are you able to take in your Water and Protein? How's your energy level? Sorry for all the questions just super excited about mine, I started the liquid pre op yesterday and I am down 3 lbs exactly hope to be down another 11 lbs by August 11th :)

Good luck to all!

That's great 9 months and you are making such great strides in your journey, your snack idea was fantastic I do that now, when I am centered and motivated and I'm on the go. How long was it before you started the mushy food after surgery? And exercising aside from walking?

I took a while to get into mushy food... The antibiotics they gave me after surgery made me nauseous and ended up on clear Protein drinks until I was done them.

My first mushy foods were fried egg with refried Beans.

I'm cycling and on the elliptical four times a week for 45 min on my lunch break.

Also a lot more active with my husband on the weekends.

We cycled in the mountains last week for four hours. I couldn't have done that before. :)

@@Pejela The first few days after surgery were a bit of a challenge with fluids but it got better every day. Once I got home I was able to get as much Fluid as I needed. It just takes longer than before. I have no issues getting Protein in. I have to eat most meat slowly with tiny bites and lots of chewing. My energy was low for 2 ro 3 weeks post surgery. My energy level is good now. Yesterday I went on a 5.6 mile hike and burned around 850 calories.

Holy Wow! That's incredible! Congrats to you, I am so happy to hear you were able to take a good hike too! I know you can do it now that you have the tool you've needed. It goes beyond that I'm sure. Keep us posted on your journey please!

I am currently scheduled with Dr. Almanza in Tijuana. I've read that Bariatric Pal has cut ties with him. Can somebody tell my more?

Edited by ag204195