Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok. WTF am I doing wrong?

@shrinkingpeach. Just wondering what Bariatric surgeon groups you are taking about - doctor forums?

I'll answer for her.

Google "weight loss surgery manual" or "bariatric center of excellence manual" or something similar. You will find many surgeon's websites with info about weight loss surgery post-op nutrition, etc.

So far, you've gotten a lot of good feedback.

I'm three weeks out and I'm not hungry at all. I have to eat on a schedule or I'll forget.

1 cup of food at a time sounds like a lot. My surgeon said that I should be able to eat between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup at a time when I'm 8 weeks out. 3 oz. of Protein, 1/4 cup of veggies. I also drink the Protein shakes with 30+ grams of Protein per 11oz.

Maybe try a week of just sticking to protein, veggies and your Protein Shakes. Leave out anything else like fruit, crackers, etc.

Also, see if you can find an in person support group in your area. Your surgeon may not, but there have to be others and some of them might. I find that helps me a lot.

I had a BMI of over 50 and I was told 60-80 g of Protein. My husband asked about maintenance weight and we were told 100g. That being said all NUT's are different and as long as you are doing Protein first then veggies and then and only then starches, you should be okay with 100.

Empty calorie foods can be a slippery slope. It's perfectly fine to split a cupcake as long as it doesn't lead to you craving more sugar as is often the case. The pretzels can cause the same thing.

The main point being that if you REALLY want something and it is going to really bother you to not have it, then have a few bites and move on. Just don't make them a habit so you don't sabotage yourself.

I don't think anyone means to be judgemental but you asked why you weren't losing and the things you mentioned jump out as red flags. We all want you to succeed.

Look online to bariatric surgeon groups and study what you should be eating since your surgeon was no help. You can also consult a nutritionist on your own for guidance.

Good luck!

I know no one is being judgmental. I wasn't thinking it was the. I was honestly thinking. ...so i ate 1/2 cupcake once and I gain 3 pounds? Really body? Seems like something is wrong when I have to be so much more strict post surgery or I fail instantly. Pre surgery, doing that would have broke my stall (granted, I probably would not have only eaten half...I would have had 4 and then I would have gained)

:) I know it is all in love I am just super frustrated that it is harder than it has ever been for me. That doesn't seem right.

Wow your doctor said that??? He sounds like he only there for the money if he planning on resleeve in 2 years thats crazy

He has said a lot of crap like that. He has his own forum on Facebook. The final straw for me was when a girl said....why am I still stalled. His reply was "don't worry, you will break the stall just like you broke my table from you high bmi...which I am still paying for and the hospital reminds me of everyday. "

In a public post, in a public forum, for all to see. Nothing he has said to anyone so far has been helpful. So I just went off on my own.

@shrinkingpeach. Just wondering what Bariatric surgeon groups you are taking about - doctor forums?

I'll answer for her.

Google "weight loss surgery manual" or "bariatric center of excellence manual" or something similar. You will find many surgeon's websites with info about weight loss surgery post-op nutrition, etc.

hahahahahha. ..I know fir a fact I am not getting enough Water. Need to work on that.

You should have Water and Protein coming out of your ears!

He has his own private forum on Facebook he wants us to use.

I didn't even know about it till post surgery. He is a good surgeon but a terrible doc post surgery. He acts like everyone is a child just trying to break the rules.

Edited by thecakewasalie

So sorry to hear that...sounds like once he has your money he is through with you. I attend a support group in person once a month at the hospital where I had my surgery. Check out your local hospitals and see if they have a support group...mine that I go to is free and there is everyone from those waiting for approval to those 6 years out. I get good info every month I go.

He really sounds like an a**...sorry he isn't more helpful!

Wow your doctor said that??? He sounds like he only there for the money if he planning on resleeve in 2 years thats crazy

He has said a lot of crap like that. He has his own forum on Facebook. The final straw for me was when a girl said....why am I still stalled. His reply was "don't worry, you will break the stall just like you broke my table from you high bmi...which I am still paying for and the hospital reminds me of everyday. "

In a public post, in a public forum, for all to see. Nothing he has said to anyone so far has been helpful. So I just went off on my own.

Oh heck no. What a jerk!! I can't believe you can eat a cup in one sitting. I'm almost 8 months and can only eat about 1/2 cup of food (unless it's CheezeIts...then I can eat half a box). It makes me wonder if he did your surgery right. Normally people don't work up to a cup until they are one or two years post op.

I didn't have ANY post op care because I had my surgery in Mexico but I did extensive research beforehand, and I still do, to make sure I'm using my new tool to the fullest. Maybe go back to basics and focus solely on Protein and veggies. Cut any and all sugar out. Watch your carbs. Green veggies are great, eat as much as you want.

@@thecakewasalie - I cannot believe this guy! What a jerk! He actually told someone she broke the table?! I would not only report him to ASMBS but also to the hospital and frankly I would make sure to post his name here and leave a review so no one ever uses him. That ticks me off! I was mad enough at him for just telling you he would resleeve you in 2 years instead of helping but the rest of it is even more unacceptable. I am so sorry you had this experience. Unbelievable.

Now - having said that, I wonder if you can contact a NUT on your own? The team I use just does the visits over the phone. They don't accept insurance but charge isn't too bad and they have been very helpful. If you would like that contact info, let me know and I will shoot them an email and make sure it is ok to give out their info. (I don't want to post it here until I have their approval.) In the meantime, there are some good handbooks on the internet that I have found - even though I had a good one to start with. My Bariatric Solutions in Texas has very good material which you can download and save to your computer. Several of the hospitals have good info you can download. Google "gastric sleeve handbook". But honestly most important is finding a NUT you can work with - and make sure they are someone that works with bariatric patients. You might even check in to local hospitals that have bariatric programs and see if they have an RD on staff that can refer you.

@@thecakewasalie

Ho lee cow. I cannot beleive a medical doctor actually said that to a patient!!

You just stay right here with us. We will help you out the best we can with any questions you may have. :) I know some people on these boards who know just as much as a NUT does anyway :)

WOW... crazy your surgeon has gotten away with saying those things. Its a shame really.

I wanted to add that I'm only 8 days post op and still on liquids but one thing my weight loss center taught me was how to calculate your Protein intake. Take your weight X 0.3 so for my current weight of 264 x 0.3 = 79 grams of Protein per day for me.

Oh heck no. What a jerk!! I can't believe you can eat a cup in one sitting. I'm almost 8 months and can only eat about 1/2 cup of food (unless it's CheezeIts...then I can eat half a box). It makes me wonder if he did your surgery right. Normally people don't work up to a cup until they are one or two years post op.

I didn't have ANY post op care because I had my surgery in Mexico but I did extensive research beforehand, and I still do, to make sure I'm using my new tool to the fullest. Maybe go back to basics and focus solely on Protein and veggies. Cut any and all sugar out. Watch your carbs. Green veggies are great, eat as much as you want.

I was sleeved in Mexico too. And I was able to drink half a bottle of Water in 2 hours 2 days post surgery. I said something to them and they acted like it was nothing. Well the driver acted surprised but everyone else was like..oh ok...good. Water is good. I am thinking about going back to 2 shakes a day and 1 meal of meat and veggies. See if that helps start it back up again.

@@thecakewasalie - I cannot believe this guy! What a jerk! He actually told someone she broke the table?! I would not only report him to ASMBS but also to the hospital and frankly I would make sure to post his name here and leave a review so no one ever uses him. That ticks me off! I was mad enough at him for just telling you he would resleeve you in 2 years instead of helping but the rest of it is even more unacceptable. I am so sorry you had this experience. Unbelievable.

Now - having said that, I wonder if you can contact a NUT on your own? The team I use just does the visits over the phone. They don't accept insurance but charge isn't too bad and they have been very helpful. If you would like that contact info, let me know and I will shoot them an email and make sure it is ok to give out their info. (I don't want to post it here until I have their approval.) In the meantime, there are some good handbooks on the internet that I have found - even though I had a good one to start with. My Bariatric Solutions in Texas has very good material which you can download and save to your computer. Several of the hospitals have good info you can download. Google "gastric sleeve handbook". But honestly most important is finding a NUT you can work with - and make sure they are someone that works with bariatric patients. You might even check in to local hospitals that have bariatric programs and see if they have an RD on staff that can refer you.

I had sugery in Mexico so I doubt anything can be done. I felt bad for her and it pissed me off too. Her reaction was "I don't know what to say to such a response on such a public forum. " I wanted to say...don't respond you have already shown so much more class than he has that a response is totally unnecessary. But I felt like having her know that more people saw it might be worse than the comfort provided.

I did rant about this on my YouTube channel though.

I would love the NUT contact (and pricing ) if you have it. I was considering going to ZOOM Care this week for heartburn and talking to them about their NUT program too. I love them for medical stuff because it is pretty much a walk in clinic. They are good $ and good service. But I am not sure what the nut cost.

@@thecakewasalie

Ho lee cow. I cannot beleive a medical doctor actually said that to a patient!!

You just stay right here with us. We will help you out the best we can with any questions you may have. :) I know some people on these boards who know just as much as a NUT does anyway :)

Actually it was one of his patients who told me to come here. She said that this place helped her so much more than that one. So, I am here with you wonderful people and I am thrilled I am!!!