Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating on a road trip -- looking for suggestions.

I'm going to travel for two days by car to get to a vacation destination. We used to drive thru McDonald's to get a quick lunch and keep driving. I looked at the menu and don't see any great options. I'm trying not to eat bread right now. I've thought about just sticking with a Protein Drink for the lunch meal. Anyone have any suggestions for food options on the road?

I just went on a small road trip and brought some beef Jerky and almonds. When I go through a McDonald's if I get anything I just request a grilled chicken breast and some honey mustard to dip. Subway is always good to stop for a salad with meat and cheeses. I usually go really light on the veggies and request extra meat.

Someone actually brought this topic up today at a pre-operative meeting today. The suggestion was made that you should stick with someone grilled, perhaps chicken or fish (if you had to do fast food at all). I think @@Elode has some good tips above!

I agree on chic-fila grilled nuggets. I stopped there on our 13 hour road trip. I also packed a cooler with some containers of food that I warmed at the gas stations.

Pack food to bring with you. You can also get Jerky or nuts at a gas station in a pinch.

Why not pack a cooler of chicken salad, cheese, meats and things? And nuts are always an easy one.

I was traveling for business early in the week since I flew I did not have a cooler option. I was able to stop at a convenience store and get a light yogurt and P3 by Lunchables.

I love the grilled nuggets at Chik-fil-A. The kid's meal is a perfect size. I get either fresh fruit or no sugar added cinnamon applesauce as the side and a diet lemonade.

Wendy's has a grilled chicken sandwich but I skip the roll and don't get a side. You can get Wendy's chili. Wendy's has a few salads with grilled chicken or with the chili.

It looks like McD's has some grilled chicken sandwiches or grilled chicken on salad.

Boston Market has some good options.

Arby's has a lot of sandwiches. On the kid's menu they have a turkey cheese sandwich and GoGo squeeze applesauce for a side. They have a roast turkey salad.

I have no problem just eating the meat/cheese, lettuce, Tomato off of a sandwich and dumping the rest. Same with a burger.

In your case I would pack a cooler. Even if the rest of the family wants McD's you know you have something you like and won't lead you into temptation. But regular bread and basic hamburger rolls have never been my downfall so it is easy for me to not eat it. If bread and rolls is a weak spot for you you may want to go with the grilled nuggets, Boston Market chicken (hold the cornbread) or salads. I have never asked but the restaurant may be willing to put the guts of the sandwich in a box and hold the bread/roll and thus avoid the temptation.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to the websites for Chic Fil A and Wendy's and I see some good options. This really helps me plan ahead.

All the above are great suggestions...also something I found out...idk if you are in an area with a Which Wich sandwich shop, but they will make any sandwich they have as a lettuce wrap!

Wendy's small chili is filling and delicious-it's my go-to when traveling for work!

Oh, and it's pretty good with regard to Protein grams too!!

Wendy's has an excellent salad strawberry Fields. It has grilled chicken, strawberries, sunflower seeds, a little bit of bacon and blue cheese. A half is about 300 calories and 21 grams of Protein.< /p>