Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Day Pre-Op Diet-Harder Than I Thought

HI EVERYONE

I AM DIANE AND IM FROM FLA AND I WAS ON A LIQ PRE-OP DIET FOR 10 DAYS BEFORE SURGEY. GOT BANDED ON 6/26 AND DID VERY WELL. STAYED ON LIQ DIET AND SAW MY DOCTOR WHICH IS DR BUNCH HERE IN FLA HE IS WONDERFUL I HAVE TO SAY. ALL WENT GOOD NOW IM 1 WEEK INTO POST OP AND MY DIET TOLD ME TO START MUCHIE DIET DUT TO I WAS TELLING HIM I WAS SO HUNGREY

WELL I STARTED AND IM NOT SURE HOW MUCH AT A SEATING IM ALLOWED TO EAT. I THINK I AM EATING TOO MUCH. TONIGHT I ATE TOO MUCH AND MY STOMACK HURTS ME AND IM HIPPUPING.

ANY IDEA WHAT TO EAT FOR THE THREE MEALS AND HOW MUCH. ILL BE TWO WEEKS POST OP THIS TUE COMING. tHANKS GUYS I HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE BEFORE I BLOW AND POP HA HA DIANE

Hi Di;

Not that I am an expert... as I have not been banded yet (July 11th)

But from what I have read... you start off with 2 oz protien, 2 oz. Vegetables/fruit, 2 oz. of Potatoe/starch( that's if you have room for it!)

so roughly that's 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food in total... what would fit on a lunch/salad plate...

If your hiccupping... that's a sign of toomuch food..

Good luck and hang in ther.. its a learning process for ALL of us.

Peaches9

Diane,

I was banded on 6/27 by Dr. Erbella and Dr. Bunch also. They told us 1/2 cup per meal was the total "amount" you are supposed to eat. The first two weeks is liquid only, the next 2 weeks are mushy foods, and from there you gradualy progress back to solid foods. Check your post-op paperwork that they gave you. Plus, you can call Vicky - the dietician - and either speak with her or meet with her for free ANY time you need to! They really have been terrific at the hospital. Use Gas X chewables if you have trouble with hiccups, gas, etc. It might relieve some pressure. The next support group is July 26th and I plan on going. My mom had LB on 5/2 and she's doing great now! Eat smaller meals maybe 3-5 times a day, with at least 2 being high Protein (shakes or whatever). By the way, do you know what type of band you have? It's probably a VG band, but you should ask. Hang in there and good luck!

Banded 6/27, VG band, Dr. Jose Erbella and Dr. Gary Bunch, Manatee Memorial Hospital, Bradenton, FL

weight.png

I am first day pre-op. WE CAN DO THIS!! Just 2 weeks, just think how worth it, its gonna be!!!!

Have you checked out the Lucky # 7 July Bandsters?? C'mon over and join us!

Get yourself down to the local Asian market and buy some miso paste, add that to your broths and that should help to hold off the hunger. I've dined on sugar free pudding and Jello, miso Soup (strained), hot and sour Soup (strained), low sugar fat free yogurt, beef broth (add a TBS of miso paste) and I am full all of the time. I should be getting 30 grams of Protein a day and I'm lucky if I get 15...

DollyRose

I'm having my surgery on 7/11. My liquid diet includes, yogurts, Soups, Jello, and the first three days, they said I could add steamed veggies, crackers and fruit. Just think about why you're doing it.

all due respect to the person who said that they didn't do this at all...

I don't recommend it. The doctor is telling you this for a reason.

Best of luck.

I am doing the liquid diet now. I am allowed to have cream coups but am still finding it difficult. Surgury is scheduled for 7/16. Hope I can hang in there. I have 2 kids and a husband that just want to eat all the time and want me to cook. It is not their fault that I can't eat but being honest I don't even want to smell it cooking in the house. It will be easier I hope when I go back to work on Monday

Im doing chicken broth with a little chicken bullion, 1 table spoon of parm cheese, and about 4 oz of tofu. It comes to about 250 calories and its a nice break from the shakes.

Great idea! I'll give the parmesan cheese a try as beef and chicken broth get a bit boring and the cheese may help to bind up the worst case of squirts :faint:I've ever had (sorry if that was a visual you didn't need).

:help:

I'm hungry frustrated and thinking of ways to cheat. Please help. I am on my two week liquid diet eating Jello,popsicles,cream Soups,etc. and I can't take it anymore. I am so tempted everytime I open the refrigerator to get a popsicle or to drink a fruit2O. :hungry:

I hope it got better for you and I just realized that this was your pre-op diet, not post-op diet. For those that may be on their pre-op diet, everyone here has had some sort of pre-op, two weeks of nothing but liquid or liquid and all the non-starchy vegetables you can eat, or perhaps just an intestinal cleaning just hours prior to surgery. I'm a bit concerned about the doctors that don't have a two week diet plan as this will help reduce the amount of fat stored in your liver. The other side effect is weight loss which will be much more beneficial to the patient during and after surgery. Fat cells (adipose tissue) like to hang on to every little thing that floats by (gasses, anesthesia, junk like that) and they are not the best at turning that junk lose. The less crap hanging around in fat cells, the easier it will be for you to recover from surgery. The other added benefit to shrinking fat cells (which BTW, never go away, they shrink but never go away without the aid of liposuction) is that the lower lobe of the liver needs to be moved up and to the right for the band to be placed. Now I don't know about you but my liver is very happy just hanging out where it has always been, the less the surgeon has to move, the better off you will be.

The other thing I want to bring up is this: once a cheater, always a cheater. The lap-band is a TOOL for weight loss, not the end-all be-all answer for weight loss (like all those crappy commercials on TV, take this pill, lose weight without trying, bullshit). For two weeks after surgery, most folks are on full liquid diets, some of those folks will find away to make cheetos into a liquid. Anyone thinking lap-band is a walk in the park is way wrong, you have to work at this, you have to be honest with yourself, and you have to really watch what you eat and how you eat.

I too am on 2nd day of preop liquids. And am feeling blue; I know it's because I am mourning my good friend, food. It's been tough fixing the kids dinner; last night I served up pizza - caught myself licking my fingers....twice. I couldn't wait to go to bed, just to stop thinking about it. I made it through day one, day two is almost gone. Without getting gross, has anyone else had diarrhea? My doc suggested I get Fiber supplement (benefiber) and at least as of now, I am SO glad I haven't taken it - I probably wouldn't leave the bathroom if so.

DollyRose, love the ticker - just like mine! I was looking for a bikini to use, hoola girl was the closest thing. I'm hoping to have the body and the courage to go to the beach again once I reach goal!