Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The dumbest diet you tried?

At one time in the 70's there was the Arlene Dahl Diet. She was an actress, for those of you way younger than I...

Anyway, the diet was basically eggs, steak & salad - plus a whole bottle of white wine - which you started drinking at breakfast! IIRC you were s'posed to lose 5 or 10# in a couple days. Couldn't get past the wine for bkfst, tho.

Then there was the Olympic Ski Team Diet which consisted of hardboiled eggs & 1/2 grapefruit for bkfst; hard boiled eggs, 1/2 grapefruit, & salad for lunch; and steak, salad, hard boiled eggs & 1/2 grapefruit for dinner. Guaranteed to lose 20# in 2 weeks - and it worked, too. But to this day I HATE hard boiled eggs!!! LOL

Bannanas and egg diet!

Once when I was a teen, I did an orange diet - all I ate every day for a week was 9 oranges (I can't believe my Mother let me do it - it was the 80's though) - my skin turned orange. I'm now 42 and although I love all things orange flavoured, I can not eat an orange!!!!!

babbs not knocking richard but my kids were trying to keep up and broke the tv we still do the tapes

Some weird drugstore diet pills that caused me to black out in the shower. And at the time--I was probably 14 or 15--and weighed about 120 pounds!

We have tried them all, haven't we? Good to know that I won't ever need to do that again, because of a simple formula -- Protein first, good veges next, a bit of fruit, likely no room for carbs....and lots of Water and exercise!

There was a cottage cheese and banana diet.....

I still love both. I don't think I lost anything on that diet, or it didn't last long.

I've done low fat and also low carbs.

Those diets I managed to lose about 100 lbs each on, but gained it all back and more when I returned to my "normal" eating.

I can say I prefer high protein/low carbs, which fits in perfectly with what I'm doing now. :)

oh I forgot I also went to a "diet" Doctor. took B12 shots, was prescribed fastin (speed) and they sold diet products like Cookies and chips and shakes.. The fastin made me hyper, mouth was constantly dry and I ended up losing about 25 lbs but as soon as I stopped going to the very expensive Dr. I gained it all back and more. None of those so called diets worked, what has worked is the band that stops me from overeating and has changed my outlook on food. I still have a few times that I eat sugary foods but it's short lived and I am back on track the next day.

This thread is great! I have tried all of these diets! The cabbage Soup one was def not fun, although one time I ate nothing but carrots for weeks. I turned orange. Oh and those awful HCG shots. Injecting myself everyday with HCG was horrible. Super glad my sleeve worked because I'm not sure I could do another crazy diet like these.

.... My wife was pretending I was Arnold as well, but that is another story. Finally, after about three weeks, I said to the Arnold question -- "Well, screw Arnold"!! And that was that....

"Well screw Arnold"? That's not a bad thing if your wife was pretending you were him. :)

The Lemonade Diet was the worst for me. The drink wasn't horrible - I could get it down - but the oral enema every morning was the worst. 32 ounces of Water at 98.6 degrees with 2 T of table salt in it drunk as fast as you can get it down - then run for the bathroom because it's going to come shooting out in about 15 minutes. And I did that for two weeks!!! Insane!!!

babbs not knocking richard but my kids were trying to keep up and broke the tv we still do the tapes

LOL! I know you weren't :) I just have a soft spot for that crazy guy!

HCG and Nutrisystem.. although, I didn't mind the NS food. It tasted ok to me.. it was just so expensive.

final word on this.. I love it when Sharon Osborne who actually had weight loss surgery now pimps for Nutrisystem. also Jenny Craig is another nasty food at a high price. Actually Weight Watchers was the best nutritionally sound program I was on but after I went to meetng after meeting and nobody seemed to be losing weight I got discouraged and quit.

Medifast. Wow, could not eat that stuff. Lost weight because I literally could not eat the food. Then after a few days, I would eat everything that wasn't nailed down because I was starving. The freeze dried stuff was gross. The Soups in little packs that you mix with Water were disgusting and the pancakes. I could go on and on. How could anyone buy that stuff. It can't possibly be good for you.

Protein, veggies, fruit and a very small amount of carbs is my secret but the fact that I am not hungry like a bear 24/7 as before surgery is the miracle I never thought was possible. Let's not forget lots to drink. I like warm tea of all sorts best.