Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before and After Abdominoplasty/Panni Pics

You look fantastic. Isn't it exciting to have a cute belly button again? I had mine done when I lost weight around 5 years ago. I was very happy with how it turned out, though it is a pretty big surgery and recovery was rough.

Luckily I didn't destroy it when I gained that weight back. Other than the sleeve surgery scars, my abs look great now. I just bought a bikini top today for my trip to Cancun in a few months. Oh, just imagine the possibilities ahead of you now!! Congrats!! What a way to reward yourself for all your hard work.

Yes! I was SO excited about my belly button! And yes I bought my first 2 bikinis ever!

Wow!!! Looks great. How do you feel?

Thank you! I feel pretty good. It's been a painful recovery, I'm not gonna lie. But at 4.5 weeks post op, my energy has pretty much returned to normal. I had a lot more muscle repair with the abdominoplasty that I needed to be done than normal, so I sstill have a fair amount of soreness in my abs, and I still wear my ab binder for support and to keep the swelling down, but that 's no biggie.
How long before you could return to work? I'm a nurse so this is a big factor for me. I'm not ready at all to do this as I'm only 8 months out and 18 lbs from goal. I will have more questions in the future. I'm really hoping my insurance will cover this. Your results are amazing and I'm glad you are returning to normal!
I returned after 3.5 weeks. I felt pretty good. Probably could have used one more week but I had some complications like reactions to the Percocet & I developed an infection.

The type of work you do matters I would think. I'm not sure I felt up to bending, turning, lifting until at least 4 weeks

I could probably take off 4 weeks but that's about it. Can I ask you what was your starting weight and how much you lost?

My starting weight was 278.4

My weight at the time of my TT was 133

My weight now is 125

Why did you need more muscle repair work?

I had 4 very large babies (9-10+ pounds) plus with the 150 extra pounds my ab muscles got very thin & very stretched apart.

Hmmm yeah I may be in the same boat, a 9.5 pounder and an 8 pounder and 135lbs lost. I know my abs have been separated since pregnancy, my first 17 years ago!

Thank you for posting these. You look fantastic! Very inspiring to see such a great success.

Our beginning numbers are very similar. You give me a lot of hope! How long did it take you to get to 135?

You look fantastic. Isn't it exciting to have a cute belly button again? I had mine done when I lost weight around 5 years ago. I was very happy with how it turned out, though it is a pretty big surgery and recovery was rough.

Luckily I didn't destroy it when I gained that weight back. Other than the sleeve surgery scars, my abs look great now. I just bought a bikini top today for my trip to Cancun in a few months. Oh, just imagine the possibilities ahead of you now!! Congrats!! What a way to reward yourself for all your hard work.

Yes! I was SO excited about my belly button! And yes I bought my first 2 bikinis ever!

Thank you! I feel pretty good. It's been a painful recovery, I'm not gonna lie. But at 4.5 weeks post op, my energy has pretty much returned to normal. I had a lot more muscle repair with the abdominoplasty that I needed to be done than normal, so I sstill have a fair amount of soreness in my abs, and I still wear my ab binder for support and to keep the swelling down, but that 's no biggie.
How long before you could return to work? I'm a nurse so this is a big factor for me. I'm not ready at all to do this as I'm only 8 months out and 18 lbs from goal. I will have more questions in the future. I'm really hoping my insurance will cover this. Your results are amazing and I'm glad you are returning to normal!
I returned after 3.5 weeks. I felt pretty good. Probably could have used one more week but I had some complications like reactions to the Percocet & I developed an infection.

The type of work you do matters I would think. I'm not sure I felt up to bending, turning, lifting until at least 4 weeks

I could probably take off 4 weeks but that's about it. Can I ask you what was your starting weight and how much you lost?

My weight now is 125

Wow! That's interesting, I am 135 now and wasn't expecting to lose much in this process. Has your clothing size changed?

So my surgeon sent me my "before" pictures yesterday, which of course made me want to take an "after" pic to compare. My surgeon does the "official" after pictures at the 3 month appointment when the scar is more healed. So I snapped a couple of pics today. It amazes me. There's only a difference of about 5 pounds in my weight since before and after surgery, but it seriously looks like a huge difference. I couldn't be more pleased with the results so far.

I have scar sheets on the scar, so we will see how that ends up, but so far so good.

sorry but what's a panni?

Our beginning numbers are very similar. You give me a lot of hope! How long did it take you to get to 135?

Probably about a year.

My weight now is 125

Wow! That's interesting, I am 135 now and wasn't expecting to lose much in this process. Has your clothing size changed?

I knew I would lose a little because he took 3 pounds of skin. But I didn't expect to lose 8 pounds. I think mostly it's because I didn't feel like I could eat much during the first couple weeks so the weight came off unintentionally, and it's luckily stayed off.

So my surgeon sent me my "before" pictures yesterday, which of course made me want to take an "after" pic to compare. My surgeon does the "official" after pictures at the 3 month appointment when the scar is more healed. So I snapped a couple of pics today. It amazes me. There's only a difference of about 5 pounds in my weight since before and after surgery, but it seriously looks like a huge difference. I couldn't be more pleased with the results so far.

I have scar sheets on the scar, so we will see how that ends up, but so far so good.

sorry but what's a panni?

Panni is short for panniculectomy. The abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and panni are 2 different procedures. Some insurances will approve one and not the other. Mine, luckily approved both. The panni basically deals with simply removing the excess skin below the belly button. The abdominoplasty then goes in and does more indepth muscle repair, mine did a little Lipo on the sides, pulls everything tights, and built me a new belly button. If you just have the panni there's a good chance you would still have like a little overhang around your belly button. I don't know if I would have just had the panni done, but everyone is different.

What's the trick to get your insurance to cover both was it difficult to get them to cover the abdominal plasty?

No. My surgeon submitted the request for both & they approved it within a week

As far as the "trick" I just got a copy of my policy requirements & made sure I had them all met & in organized before submitting the request

Did your policy specifically discuss plastics relating to bariatric surgery?

Did your policy specifically discuss plastics relating to bariatric surgery?

Yes. I have 2 policies: one thru my work & one thru my hubbies. They are both high mark bcbs. His policy does not cover it at all even if medically necessary. But my policy has a plastic/reconstructive surgery rider. It says exactly how many months post op you have to be etc. so yes, it discusses the coverage & requirements for reconstructive surgery after bariatrics. You just have to find out whether your policy has that rider or not.

That is a remarkable difference. I bet you feel better even this soon postop. Looks great!