Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in left side, nausea, vomiting- 4 months post op

I had no complications with my surgery, none. I have only had 3 fills so far and am at 8 cc (mine holds 14). I have noticed almost no restriction after my fills and they keep telling me that it is pretty normal until I get it more full. I have lost 3 lbs. My last fill was about 2 1/2 weeks ago and still not feeling any restriction. I was eating a hamburger patty (the #1 food recommended by our nurse) Friday night and got about half way through it and felt a horrible tight pressure in the middle of my chest- very painful- then began to drive heave, followed by vomiting. Still almost no relief from the pain. A freaking tiny 4 oz patty guys....half of one. Eventually I just went to bed and felt a bit better the next day. Since then I have had recurring pain on my left side just below my rib cage. What the crap is going on- why am I not feeling the restriction others are, I tell the nurse and she keeps telling me it is normal, asks if I am eating my meat first, and then reminds me that this is just a tool. Right after surgery I could totally feel the restriction, I was dropping weight like crazy...now nothing....plus the pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Might just be the result of the hamburger? I assume no bread with it? If you get some thing really stuck, it can cause irritation which lasts several days.

Have you tried sticking to thick liquids or soft foods for a couple if days to let any inflammation down down?

In your shoes, I might phone the doctor on Monday.

when you get a stuck issue going on sometimes the food causes your esophagus to spasm. that is likely the pain you are feeling. it should go away once the food makes its way out as in pb'ing or into your stomach. you don't want to ever throw up if you can help it. but if its just coming from the pouch area it is pb'ing. if you still have pain in your chest after becoming unstuck don't rule out heart trouble. you should report either to your pcp or surgeon the continuing pain.

It was just the patty...I have never had a reaction like that to anything...even when I slipped and ate something I should not have...it was bizarre. In addition I have started feeling mild heartburn...I did have a hiatal hernia repaired during my band and have been heartburn free since, until the last couple of weeks. I have stuck to soft foods and lots of liquids for the last 48 and I still feel a little queasy and am having periodic pain on my left side...going to call in the morning....thanks so much for your help :)

This is when I tell ppl to be very assertive in your care and your band. my story and I am going to make it short was where I started to have reflux. my PA and surgeon treated me for that by increasing prilosec and using Carafate and onesdastron(SP). but what I should have said since I have never had any trouble and at the point had lost 81 lbs. I was a compliant bander. but I should have insisted on a barium swallow. I didn't and on july 4th I was in severe pain . went to the surgeon and had a barium swallow which showed a little slippage but I had a lot of damage done to my esophagus which I have never healed from. my band is in place but any amount of fill causes my damage to flair up. now I have no fill and slowly gaining wt. and have to start all over with a revision. I love my band and treated it well. but I needed to know when to assert myself and this is your time. make sure everything is okay.