Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 People Who've Reclaimed their Lives from Obesity

Obesity surgery helps people take back their lives. Meet 10 patients who've reclaimed their lives through the gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, duodenal switch, and gastric band alongside healthy diet and exercise! Click the hyperlinks to read each patient's awe-inspiring story (will redirect to HealthCentral).

Jassira: From infertility to motherhood

In hopes of solving her infertility issues, Jassira tried a gastric band and duodenal switch to lose weight. The procedures were at times life-threatening, but Jassira said she would not change a thing. Today, she feels strong, and proud that the journey made her dreams of two healthy boys come true. Read more…

Mikimi: Triumph over challenges

Mikimi fought with her health insurance company to appeal for plastic surgery after gastric bypass complications. She won, and had an apronectomy and breast reduction, but there were still more complications to follow. Today, however, she is proud of her body and views her surgery scars as badges of honor. Read more…

My Bariatric Life: Challenging fitness and fears

It took a decade after gastric bypass to reclaim my life, undergo plastic surgery, and start living boldly. One victory was conquering an advanced four-hour ropes course, pushing myself beyond physical limits and overcoming a fear of heights. I learned that at any moment you have the power to say, “this is not how the story is going to end.” Read more…

Jonathan: From obesity to bari-athlete

Jonathan lost 200 pounds after gastric bypass surgery and now competes in endurance events such as the The Great Ohio River Swim, a 38-mile bike ride, and the Disabled Veterans 5K. He says after abusing it for so many years, he’s got his body back and wants to see how far he can push himself in a positive way. Read more…

Jen: Finding love after obesity

In order for Jen to have happy dating relationships after the gastric sleeve surgery, she first had to find self awareness and love herself. She later found Mr. Right and they’ll be married this year. Jen says if she had skipped any of the mental work, she would not be where she is today. Read more…

Kristin: Between hopelessness and hope

Kristin was a size 32W before having gastric bypass surgery in 2002. She knew surgery wasn’t a cure-all for poor eating habits, but was a tool that made all the difference between hopelessness and hope. Now a size 4/6, Kristin says everyone deserves a life where weight doesn't hold them back. Read more…

Bill: Hero behind WHS-NewLife

Thanks to carefully planned weight management strategies and guidelines prior to gastric bypass, Bill has successfully maintained a 200+ pound weight loss since 2010. He believes, “Too often we sabotage our own best interest.” Bill now shares his inspiring action plan on WHS-NewLife. Read more…

Terri: Bariatric Vitamin queen

Terri achieved permanent weight loss with the gastric band. But with that success came a set of obstacles. Terri couldn't tolerate some nutritious foods or swallow her Vitamins. So she was faced with deteriorating health. Not one to give up, Terri and her husband, Fred, worked together to develop Ameriwell Bariatric Vitamins. Read more…

Sandi: Losing and finding herself

Sandi reached her heaviest weight at 424 pounds. With a BMI of 68.5 and wearing size 28 clothes, Sandi knew she had to find a permanent weight loss solution. On May 28, 2004 Sandi underwent the LapBand weight-loss surgery. Just over two years later, Sandi weighed a healthy 174 pounds and went on to become a bariatric educator and support group leader. Read more…

Alex: Everyone’s BariatricPal

Alex is not only a success at weight loss, he’s also the man behind the success of BariatricPal. Its an online social network for the weight-loss-surgery community, where patients support each other before and after weight loss. BariatricPal grew out of Alex’s desire to give back to bariatric surgery patients and help them write their own success stories! Read more…

Great article(s)!

Almost fell off my chair when I got to #10! ;-)

@@My Bariatric Life,

Thanks so much for sharing this article! It is very inspirational and I love the mix of stories you chose.

Thanks so very much! I am glad you enjoy the real life stories of these inspirational people whom I have interviewed across the years. They truly make my heart swell with pride of their accomplishments. Life is meant to be lived fully!