Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Habits did you changed before Surgery?

Having my surgery in 3 months and don't know what I should start changing.

I was sleeved on April 20 with a very long time to prep before surgery. I weaned myself off of caffeine and pop, increased my Water consumption, focused on Protein, exercised 60 min a day, and practiced eating slower/chewing more.

Weaning myself off of pop was the big one. Once I realized I could make that one change, the thought of the other changes I would have to make in my lifestyle seemed much more manageable.

I changed a few things. On my own, I quit smoking after 30 years. I've been smoke free for over a year now, in anticipation for this surgery and future knee surgeries. I knew they wouldn't do either if I kept smoking.

I have recorded everything I have eaten for the past 8 months. (people who do are more successful with wls, so I am told)

I have given up all caffeine.

I have given up soda.

I stopped drinking before during and after meals (as instructed).

I take in 64+ oz Water daily, (not sure how I am going to do that with a tiny stomach! lol)

I stopped buying junk, and started opting for quality over quantity.

I have seen a therapist twice monthly, (my idea) to work on issues I have with food.

I started eating Breakfast. I do the same Protein shake daily, that I will have to do 5 times a day for my liquid diet. I love it. (hope I still love it after 10 days of it)

None of it was easy. I still have an occasional diet coke, but I do know after surgery it's off limits for good.

Most of the foods that I have said..."oh, I need to do this one last time" have been huge disappointments. I thought they would be so great, but I'm really at this point so tired of food. I think that means I'm in a good place in my head to have this surgery.

Great question, thanks for asking it, NDAO. :)

Edited by carolm1965

I was already smoke, soda and caffeine free before surgery so my goals were related to my eating behaviors.

- I stopped eating every meal in front of the tv so I could pay attention to my meals and my body telling me I was full

- I started focusing on chewing my food like crazy

- I started working on no liquid 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after each meal (this was very hard prior to surgery) - now, no problem

- I worked on reducing my sugar intake

- I worked on increasing my activity level by walking as much as I could

All of these things along with, no smoking, no carbonated beverages and no caffeine are very important to the success of WLS.

Thank You, everyone for your suggestions. I was banded in 2008, and lost 90 lbs. I was very successful for 2 year. In August of 09 I lost my only brother and of course my grief was thru food. I was un banded in Nov of 2012. Now After almost 3 years I don't know where to start.

Edited by NDAO2015

Hi, I'm so sorry about your brother, I know how difficult that is.

This journey is not easy.

I started with forgiving myself first.

I've always blamed myself.

I have tried so hard but finally I decided to take my doctors advice and have a bypass. I'm on day 2 of my pre-op, I do not doubt my decision, I know that I need this tool to have a better life or I will not live a healthy life.

If you need someone to talk to, please pm me.

You can do this.

Good luck.

I gave up diet soda, fried foods, potato chips, caffeine, chewing gum and drinking out of straws. It wasn't easy but boy has it made life after RNY so much easier. I don't miss any of it. OK that was a lie ... I miss my chewing gum - LOL!

I gave up pop and started exercising three times per week and and stop consuming bread, Pasta, rice and cut y sugar intake. Just making these changes were well worth it and I am so happy that I did, I also gave up all friend food and now grill or bake everything. Good luck on your pending surgery. And congrats on your choice on being healthy.

After my group meeting to get started with the weight loss program, I quit drinking pop and I started eating like I was supposed to after surgery (paying attention to Protein, sugar and fat content). I went to 1 cup of food every 3 hours and ended up losing 51lbs before my surgery!!