Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SIPS - stomach intestinal pylorus sparing

@ KingCake and @@ShellMilliner

Shell is right, it's not about the lbs when you lose preop it's about shrinking your liver. I was so scared I was going to be one of those people who gets to the surgery and have them back out because my liver wasn't small enough. Weight loss is just a byproduct of the diet, not the initial goal of the diet.

I had to get my mind right to stick with it and I gave it all I got. I thought about all those other times I lost weight, and how much effort I had put in, I knew I could do it again to get over the hump (surgery) and have a good recovery. I did the diet an extra two weeks for two reasons. One, my employer would not let me off of work to do it and two, I used it as a buffer in case of any false starts I had, food funerals, etc. Surprisingly I'd made peace with the old way of eating and blew straight through. I was focused on making it through the surgery to where I am now, slowly getting my health back on track. :)

My employer ended up firing me for taking time off, but that's another story! No worries, I have a better job now and got the offer when I was out recovering! HA!

I had a LOT of hurdles (people in the way) along my journey but I pushed through. I think that made my determination even STRONGER. Or, I'm just stubborn, or a little of both, LOL!

I got approved with BCBS for Sips and it only took 2 days for the approval. If they deny you your doctor can also call to talk to them about it and get them to change the approval status.

My BMI was over 50, I had "failed" with the lapband previously and have been obese or super morbidly obese MOST of my life so I was not an ideal sleeve candidate according to first surgeon I consulted with. Due to my horrible experience with the band I was very frighted by the gastric bypass - I visualized a repeat of having part of the stomach sort of sectioned off and still feeling that constant hunger. I think I was poorly educated on it - but at the time I just could not do the bypass.

I found a surgeon who thought I was a good candidate for sleeve. My band was in bad shape - been in there for 10 years so I opted to do it in two separate surgeries (band removal and then sleeve were almost 3 months apart). The surgeon did a good job, I got lucky and I worked my ass off... and was able to get to a normal BMI with the sleeve and have been maintaining for 2 years. I lost more than half my body weight...whew... I am so grateful.

My backup plan was always the DS - but I am so happy this new, less risky DS is available for people now. I hope I never need it, but if it had been around 3 years ago, it would have been a great option for me.

I was originally denied the revision to the sips but my doc talked to the doc at aetna and approved it after I go through the 3 month follow up with a nutritionist like I did when I was sleeved.

@kingcake You basically are a carnivore when you do the SADI or SIPS. Because of the malabsorption you are required to get 80-100 grams of protein/day and you will need to take Vitamins that are higher in ADEK (I use Celebrate). I take 3 of the Multi (high ADEK)/day, Calcuim with D3 3x/day, pepcid 2x/day, Iron with C 2x/day, and B12 weekly.

I imagine like pre-op doctors are differ in their regimine this was mine.

Days 1-3 (once I was cleared with the swallow test) Clear liquids. Water, broths, Jello, SF pops

Days 4 - 14 Full liquids - cream Soups, cream of wheat or rice, yogurt, part skim ricotta, cottage cheese, pudding, unsweetened apple sauce

Days 14 - 30 - Soft foods - can be cut easily with a fork or spoon, cheese, deli meat, ground meats, chicken, fish, eggs, tuna

Day 31 on - Regular diet

I have an appointment at 230. I was thinking of getting the bypass. I think I've changed my mind. What made you choose the sips procedure

I was thinking sleeve initially. But after discussions with my doctor, my BMI (50.2), sleep apnea and extremely high triglycerides this procedure was the best fit. Cholesterol, diabetes and trigylcerides resolve very quickly with this surgery type because of the malabsorption component only about 20% of fat is absorbed. Also, the amount of excess weight lost is better with this surgery said to be 80-90% excess loss. I did a lot of research because this is a newer procedure and while it is similar to a DS there are some key differences. I can say I have not experienced dumping or any bowel or excess gas issues. Maybe it is my diet or maybe it is the surgery type.

I'm in the process of having it done (probably first of August). I wish I had someone close by to talk to about it. I have questions of post-op - what will you eventually be able to eat (solid foods) and how soon after surgery?

@@MaggieinNC - I'm not that far out from my surgery (just over 4 weeks) and most foods that I've tried at this t don't give me any problems. Every doctor varies their plan a bit with foods and timing but this was/is my post-op schedule.

Once cleared with the swallow test you begin days 1-3 on Clear Liquids. broth, SF Jello, SF popcicles, Water (you can add crystal lite, lemon, etc...)

Days 4 -14 Full liquids. Cream of wheat or rice, SF applesauce, yogurt, Protein shakes, cream Soups (strained), ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, milk, some pureed fruits or baby food, scrambled egg, mashed sweet or white potato

Days 14 - 31 Soft foods (think things that can be cut easily with the side of your fork or spoon). Shredded chicken, tuna, egg salad, crab, fish, shrimp, scallops, mango, soft fruits without skin or seeds, softened veggies (cooked carrots, green Beans, squash). NO raw veggies, nuts

Regular diet - Try only one new food at a time (chew, chew, chew and eat slowly). Remember to limit carbs and focus on Protein first, veggies, then carbs.

I have sampled several things but I haven't tried steak yet. I still seem to need my meats very moist. I usually eat chicken breasts or seafood. I did have boston market meatloaf the other day and my tummy wasn't happy afterward. I'm guessing they use a lot of fillers in their meatloaf mix. I was at the Kennedy Space Center yesterday and for lunch I ordered a cheese burger, no bun, with grilled mushrooms and onions. It was a bit dry so some mustard and mayo helped. I was able to eat about 3-3.5 oz.

Feel free to message me if you want to talk directly.

Congratulations on your decision!

Best,

Shell

I still don't have insurance back yet, but I think I've changed my mind. From SIPS to have the Sleeve done. Seems less drastic and perhaps quicker recovery time?

Hi Everyone! I'm in NC and working with Dr. Bruce. I was sleeve on 3/17/14 and have lost about 70 lbs. I'm considered doing SIPS.

Hello all and blessings to you on your weight loss successes. Just one question about the SIPS. Forgive me for being a dummy, but I was just under the assumption that if they save the pylorus valve, then all the plumbing is normal and there is no malabsorption, basically. Also, if it is a cure for Acid Reflux as well as Diabetes among the other common diseases just like the gastric bypass is.

Thank you so much for your kindness.

Stephen