Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SIPS - stomach intestinal pylorus sparing

Has anyone had the SIPS procedure or are considering it? Also known as SADI-s. My doc suggested it, but there is very little info from people who have had it done. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had the procedure or anyone with any additional input. I've read about the procedure itself, I just want hear from actual patients.

Hi Jenna!

I stumbled across your posting under Recent Topics there on the right. I had the SIPS Procedure on March 6, 2015. So I'm about 6 weeks out. Ask away! :)

I'm considering the surgery . I'm concerned with gastric issues such as diarrhea and gas. In a nurse and work long hours . I'm trying to decide if this will effect my work?

I am scheduled for the SIPS surgery May 12th 2015... I was originally going to get the sleeve but I switched it since I will have better results from what they have gathered so far. My doctor says they believe it will replace Bypass

I had mine on April 1st! I can tell you I usually have 1-2 normal bowel movements in the morning (which was normal for me prior). No diarrhea at all. My doctor told me most of the cases with diarrhea come when you have foods that are fatty or too many carbs/sugars. I have not had any gas issues either. Of note I do still have my gall bladder, I did hear that if your gall bladder removed it can cause a higher incidence of of loose stool.

The harder part is that you will require more Protein than the other procedures 80-100g/day. So likely a Protein supplement shake or two will be needed to help you reach that goal. That actually works fine for me as I've never been a Breakfast person (except on vacation/weekends). I drink a Premier Protein in the morning and get 30 grams to start the day. You will also require higher doses of ADEK, Calcium, Iron and B12 for life. I've finally got my routine down and it works.

Feel free to ask me anything. I have been up and moving stronger and further everyday. I did kind of over do just a day shy of 2 weeks post surgery and walked around EPCOT (Disney is practically in my backyard). I just wanted a change of scenery but I walked a bit too much that morning and was exhausted the rest of the day.

I have two kids (2 & 6) so I've gotta be moving, they are the reason I did it. Good luck and let us know your decision.

@@kingcake

I had some really bad gas right after surgery, due to the air that they use to inflate your abdomen during surgery. After the first two days after surgery I was just fine. Keep some Gas-X strips handy for after surgery, they have helped a lot. I had some stomach upset early on as far as diarrhea but I think it was due to the pain meds. Other than that, now my main problem has been Constipation. I have to take Miralax because 7 weeks out i'm still on soft foods and not eating many vegetables yet.

@@Bbyblueyez

I have heard that it is the replacement for Gastric Bypass as well. I only spent one night in the hospital. I made absolutely sure that I lost weight before the surgery. I did the liquid Protein for two more weeks than required because I didn't want anything to go wrong. I lost 25 lbs before surgery and I'm creeping up on 25 post op now. I started the diet on January 26 and stuck with it up until my surgery date, March 6, 2015. So a total so far of almost 50 lbs and I'm only 7 weeks out. SIPS has been shown to be less invasive, quicker recovery, less complication and with the same or even better percentage of excess weight that is lost. So far so good.

@@SippedChick Did you have an NG tube following surgery? I did for 24 hours, they said the tube really helps with the gas and I believe them. The tube was really annoying me and making me gag so they removed it about 24 hours later and that is when I felt the gas. I walked those hallways every 1.5-2 hours and it really did help. One of the nurses said everyone is very different with the tube, some people don't realize it's there and then there are others that it annoys the heck out of.

I hadn't heard of this so "googled it" to learn that it is a modified DS. Very interesting - looking forward to hearing how this goes for people!

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/48868

@@kingcake The pre-op diet isn't as much about the pounds lost but to shrink your liver. Obesity causes fatty liver, which enlarges it and makes it floppy right over top of your stomach (the surgery site). The idea of a high Protein, low fat, no carb diet (think Adkins w/out the fat) is it forces your body to utilize the fat on the liver shrinking it, thus moving it out of the way for the surgeon. It makes the surgery so much easier for the surgeon and less risky of a nick happening.

I've found from these boards every doctor's pre-op diet is different, some don't even do them. Mine was 2 high Protein shakes and a lean meal with non-starchy vegetables. I could add another shake if I was hungry or a 100 calorie pack of raw almonds. Then I was Clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight.

I'm 22 days out today and down 37 lbs (19 pre-op).

Edited by ShellMilliner

On another weightloss board they have a thread that has a very militant member bashing sips. Did your doc say he was doing the sips? That person on the other board says there are drs saying they are doing the DS and are really doing the sips procedure. Where did u have yours done?

On another weightloss board they have a thread that has a very militant member bashing sips. Did your doc say he was doing the sips? That person on the other board says there are drs saying they are doing the DS and are really doing the sips procedure. Where did u have yours done?

I've seen the same thing. I think people become very defensive of their procedure. I think I know the exact thread you are referring to as well.

I think a lot of doctors do call it a DS as it is a modified DS procedure. I had mine done by Dr. Jawad at Orlando Bariatric and Laproscopy. It was a robotic procedure to boot! The procedures offered were thoroughly explained at the info seminar and at the first appointment when you determine surgery type.

The biggest advantages are the pylorus is intact reducing dumping syndrome, lessening the gas and diarrhea issues and because it is a bit simpler the the surgery takes less time, so less time under anesthesia and a quicker recovery.

While it isn't really a "new" procedure it is kinda the new kid on the block. All WLS procedures were new at one time and doctors and researchers spend hundreds of hours improving them. My doctor's office no longer performs the lap band because the long term results on many require revisions.

@@SippedChick and @@ShellMilliner

Thank you both for your responses. I am looking to have surgery the first week of June. I have completed all my pre appointments, I just have to get approved by insurance now. I'm worried BCBSNC will not approve SIPS because it is so new. I really like the idea of sips. I went in to the office thinking I was gonna have sleeve and left thinking sips. My doc said I would only lose around 60% of my excess weight with the sleeve whereas adding the sips would make it 90%+ of the excess. I'm 5'11" hw:309, cw:293 gw:170.

My wedding is in October and right now I'm struggling with what size wedding dress to buy. I'm thinking (hoping) I'll be 225 by then and am probably gonna go with a size 18. I'm currently a 22/24.

As for the surgery itself, I've never had any type of surgical procedure so just the idea of anesthesia makes me nervous. How long did it take you to feel well enough to get back to work fully? I am hoping to not take more than 2 weeks off. What would you say was the hardest part of the whole process so far?

Do you have any advice for someone about to follow in your footsteps?

Jenna - raleigh, nc

@@jennalia

Jenna, I think it is likely you will be smaller than an 18 by then, although it is easier to take a dress in than make it larger. I'm 3 weeks out and almost 37 lbs gone. I think a rule of thumb is about every 25-30 lbs is a size loss. I've had two c-sections, so not fully under but definitely not feeling any pain and an ACL repair to my knee. Don't let the idea of going under anesthesia worry you. The last thing I remember was transferring to the bed in the OR and the two anesthesia nurses joking because they were the only ones in the room at the time. The one nurse said he'll do the surgery, he watched it lots of times...haahaa. Next thing you know I was being wheeled into my room. Surgery was about 3-3.5 hours.

I go back to work on Monday. I still get tired in the afternoons but I feel fine. I could have gone back this week if I wanted but I was kind of enjoying the time (and the afternoon nap). You will be up and walking a few hours after surgery and believe me you want to. They inflate your belly with gas to move around and you want to get it out. I think I mentioned in a previous post, my doctor does insert an NG tube (down the nose into the esophagus provided you don't have a deviated septum, this really, really does reduce the gas. You may want to ask is your doc does it. But the best gas relief is walking. At the hospital they wanted you up every 2 hours and moving, increasing your distance every time.

The hardest part for me still is getting in all my Protein and liquids. I have days I'm just not hungry or nothing sounds good (that I can have, I'm still on soft foods), and you MUST make yourself drink that Protein shake or eat that whatever and drink that Water. You do it because Protein is the key element to healing your body quickly, so you do it. Some days I don't hit my protein or Water goal but I push to get as much in as possible.

Tip: Water, the first times (even the first weeks) water feels heavy and for me it kind of hurt when I would sip it. I was told this had to do with the surface tension of the water. Add a squeeze of lemon, lime or a crystal lite pack to your water and volia it goes down much easier. I bought an infuser cup and fill it with berries or melon and it make the water taste great. BTW, I LOVED water before the surgery and would drink close to a gallon a day with nothing in it, I'm just now getting back to the point that I can drink plain water but for me it has to be cold. Keep in mind everyone is different just like with healing and energy.

@@jennalia I forgot to mention I had BCBS of IL and they had no problem approving me for the surgery. Once all my pre-testing was complete and the submitted to insurance I had an answer in about 2.5 weeks!