Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 4 weeks post-op today. I feel pretty good except, no matter what I eat, and no matter how much, I always feel a sick to my stomach. I make sure I eat slow (I use a timer), I don't drink 30 minutes before or after eating, but I always feel a little upset to my stomach. I have never thrown anything up, even though I thought I was going to a few times, but I just want to be able to eat my 1/4 cup of food and feel normal. Is this just part of the healing process? This is not what I expected.

Yeah, it's normal! You have thrown a lot at your body, and it needs time to adjust, and right now we're having a bit of a "temper tantrum"! It LIKED the way it was, and you have put a stop to it, so it is rebelling. Things will ease up over time (everyone is different, and so is their timing), so be patient. So many expect a "quick fix" and recovery, but this is a major deal you've just done, and 4 weeks is too soon for a full recovery. Slow and easy, and maybe try eating and drinking things that are room temperature, so your body accepts them more readily. Especially Water. When you first eat, try eating a couple of bites of very soft food, to "temper" the tummy for what's to come. Space out the bites, and let the new "baby" get used to what she has to eat today! It only gets better from here, so look forward to that!

I have three words for you. Chew Chew Chew. I know I sound like a train, but it is the honest truth. I had the very same issue, now while I cannot say we are the same, it sounds a lot like me . That's when I really started focusing on chewing. even things that were softer like scrambled eggs, I mean who chews scrambled eggs? Well I do now. you can swallow the same amount of food,bite size wise that is as they don't alter your esophagus size at all, but when it hits that narrow sleeve, well, you get the sick feeling. So my point is you really have to focus on chewing things beyond what you think is ok. especially in these begining stages. It gets easier, but then again you get tougher things to eat as well, so it all balances out. good habits now, make things a lot easier later.

Good luck!

Keep up the good work.

Are you on a PPI? Acid may be the problem. But, it definitely took me a while to feel "normal" after eating. I also had a lot of trial and error in figuring out the right amount to eat to be full, but not make myself uncomfortable or cause pain. You will get there! It definitely takes time. Four weeks out is not very far. I wasn't even allowed solids until 40 days post-op and that was a whole other world of trial and error and learning. But by the time you are 3-4 months out, you will feel normal again, I promise!

I was the same way. 3 months out I am finally feeling normal. You may not take as long but....IT WILL GET BETTER :)

I'm so glad I found this thread, as I am experiencing the same thing a little over 3 weeks out. I appreciate the wisdom and encouragement! This too shall pass!