Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with a lower-ish BMI been sleeved? I'm at BMI 32 now and have been approved due to co morbidities (high Bp and DM). Just curious to here other stories of lower BMI folks!?

I had a bmi of 30.8 and got it done in Mexico (best decision ever) on April 21st and have since lost 37lbs!

I'm paying out of pocket.

I had a BMI of 31 and I was self pay. I did the roller coaster diet thing for so many years I finally decided to do it and I don't regret it at all. I did a 2 week low carb diet required by my doc before the surgery and lost 10 lbs so I was only 29.5 BMI when I had it done on Oct. 30 and I pretty much met my goal in 4 months. I also didn't tell anyone. Only my husband and one friend because I didn't want to hear the speech about how I didn't need it and everything else that goes with that. I am a size 0P now and couldn't be happier. I no longer need my sleep apnea machine and my back and joints feel so much better. I also had the hernia repair done while he was in there and my insurance paid for that. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

BTW I am only 5"1 so losing 45 is a lot for someone my size and I am 45.

Good luck-

LA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

My BMI is 35. I have 2 health issues, high BP & cholesterol. I go to my 1st eval next month & I should be covered under medicare. But Im 1 of the folks on the lower end of the BMI scale. If I even lose 2 pounds, I won't be qualified under my insurance. I've been on the roller coaster of all the diets out there for years & Im done with that..

Hi everyone! First post for me . My BMI is 34.5 , but my insurance wouldn't pay if it was 65, so I am self pay. I have had a few people say I am not big enough to do it and I hate- but honestly only a few have said it-ha! My doctor was pumped for me and said it was a great idea so that kind of pushed me over the edge. I am getting it done August 15 and am terrified. Mentally I am not there yet. Hoping this forum helps me .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

hi all, just checking in because we have some newbies and i remember how desperate i was for information pre-surgery! i tend not to come on these forums much anymore, i consider that part of the success!!

i was sleeved on october 19 last year at a weight of 185 (i'm 5'4) and a BMI of 31.8. I now weigh 137, BMI of 21.8. I truly couldn't be happier and it was a relatively painless process. yes its difficult at first to get in your liquids, fit in to our massive portion society and struggle with whatever other little side effects you have (i had relatively bad acid reflux which i still have to manage with Protonix), but the results make it all worth it. i am healthy and happy and full of energy and wouldn't take it back for a second!

best of luck to all!

Wow! I can't wait to get mine done! Thank you "veterans" for following up on this forum. It has helped me get the courage to get my much needed surgery done. It has also helped me prepare for my surgery that is on the 23rd of this month! I currently have a BMI of 30.7. I am 5.3 178. I starated my first diet when I was eleven years old and have done all most every diet since. I am 55 now and am getting off of this crazy diet roller coaster!

Just hit my one year sleevaversary. Started at 33 BMI with HBP? High cholesterol, sleep apnea and fatty liver. At 54 I was miserable and didn't want to live like an old person. I had to self pay because I didn't want the six month runaround with the chance they'd deny anyhow. By month seven I'd lost 65 pounds and now am 23 BMI. I feel awesome and look pretty good too! No regrets at all!

6 months out and I basically eat whatever I want, just in small portions. Somedays I need to remind myself that since I can only eat small amounts it's important to eat proper food.

The mind game is still there, cravings still creep back in every once in a while, so surgery is definitely not an easy way out. That being said, now if I do indulge in something unhealthy, I can only eat a very small amount compared to what I'd eat in the past, so surgery has had a major impact on my binging habits.

The only thing I really struggle with since surgery is carbonation. Thankfully I've never been one to drink much pop, but if I'm out and order a summer cocktail or beer, I can barely finish one, and even at that I drink it very slowly.

I should also mention that I had a pretty easy recovery. Within six weeks of the surgery I could go out and eat at a restaurant, albeit very small portions. I went on vacation at 6 weeks out and was fine. I slowly started working out at home at about 3-4 weeks out. By 8 weeks out I was back at the gym. By 12 weeks out I was doing the same workouts I was doing prior, just not quite as heavy weights since I had lost a lot of my strength not lifting weights for about 2 months. Now, six months out I'm back at the gym, my strength is just as it was before and my cardio is much better. I've been running 5-8 kms twice a week. Plus four gym sessions a week. I think the main thing is, once your doc says you can start exercising, do it! Even if it's just walking on the treadmill and some squats or sit ups each day, do it! You don't need to exercise to lose weight and get skinny, but if you want to look sexy naked, you'll want to exercise to tone up!

Hi all. I was sleeved 2 days ago. My BMI is a little higher than some of you. My highest weight was 207 (I'm 5'3) and my day of surgery I weighed 199. Yesterday was hard- felt a little like I'd been hit by a truck, very sore, but mostly my back and shoulders. I feel so much better today. I don't feel 100%, but definitely better than I'd expected. My biggest complaint is that I am tired.

For those of you who haven't done it yet-- the pain for me was very tolerable. I took pain meds at midnight the night of surgery and haven't need anything since then. The biggest incision site is tender but otherwise nothing to worry about.

One thing I did not expect and haven't read about was soreness in my arms, from elbow to wrist. When I came home my arms were very red and hot to touch. They are no longer red and warm, but they ache.

Anyway, post-op I feel pretty good and know that I will feel better each passing day!

Dr. wants to me walk 30 min/day and start using weights in 6 weeks.

Hi everyone! First post for me . My BMI is 34.5 , but my insurance wouldn't pay if it was 65, so I am self pay. I have had a few people say I am not big enough to do it and I hate- but honestly only a few have said it-ha! My doctor was pumped for me and said it was a great idea so that kind of pushed me over the edge. I am getting it done August 15 and am terrified. Mentally I am not there yet. Hoping this forum helps me .

Hi,

I am 51 and was self pay. My BMI hovered around 30-32 and., needless to say, after a lifetime of dieting I was tired. I think that those of us that have been struggling with diets over decades suffer a fatigue that is as unbearable as being morbidly obese. I didn't tell many people because of the stigma and fear around the procedure. I don't know about you, but I was so tired of the drudgery and was willing to walk through fire for a solution.

I had my surgery of July 5 and am already feeling the power of this great tool. I am down from a high weight of 215, pre-op diet starting weight of 197 to 183 as of today. I liken it to learning how to drive a shift: you have to participate it the process. I am still learning what I can and can't handle in stage 2 of recovery. Baby steps!

You are going to be fine. I don't know where you are having your procedure, but you are sure to find fellow travelers who are just as scared, and excited, as you are.

Stay in touch. Xo

I had my surgery July 5 too. Low BMI but with co morbidities...high BP, sleep apnea, diabetes, high cholesterol and NA Fatty liver. SW was 216. Today I am down to 195 and off of all meds except BPressure. It's the best decision I ever made! I have so much energy and my back stopped hurting ( I have a lovely Apple shape!)

you need to stay off carbonation for 6 months (or at least that was my requirement). i'm back on seltzer now but have only had one or two sodas since surgery 9 months ago -- my nutritionist said even no cal soda can be kind of a "gateway" drug that we associate with our prior bad eating habits and i've found that to be true. i have a soda and next thing i know i'm craving pizza. brains are weird!

@@tenseintexas it's not just the carbonation you have to worry about in soda, it's the ACID. Get off the stuff now, before surgery to help you transition. I'm 13 months out (reached 23 BMI at 7 months post op) and have had carbonated mineral Water a couple of times. It hurts because you can't burp as efficiently. Now if I indulge, I put it on ice and let it sit yo flatten out a bit. A year or so ago a nurse on here told the story of her WLS brother who ulcerated his small stomach with soda and almost died. Please find that post. It's sobering.