Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies over 50 - bypass

I am 44, my surgery date was 8/7/14. At 10 months out I have lost 104 pounds. I do have a lot of loose skin in my stomach. My neck does not look as bad as I feared it would and people actually tell me I look younger. So be excited for what is to come, it is for sure a journey but it is so worth it. I did not have a goal weight in mind when I started this I was just trying to get healthy, I have meet my medical goal as far as the doctor is concerned and he thinks I will still lose another 10 to 15 pounds. I am one who still sees myself 100 pounds heavier but my mind is starting to shift, it is a slow process for me to see myself different. Good luck to all!

Me too - will I have more sagging skin cuz I am over 60 or will I have less than the plastic surgeons show as "before" pix cuz I am losing "only" 80 lb or so??? Anyone out there with similar loss / age group? Really don't want to do plastics at this age. Any tips how to avoid plastics and firm up sagging skin would help! I'm pre-surgery(July proposed date for Bypass) but worried about this one thing.

I'm 53 and already experiencing the sagging skin in my arms and lower abdomen. I really don't care because I'm feeling wonderful and I know I'm so much healthier. I had a stroke at age 52 due to my blood sugar and blood pressure both skyrocketing at the same time. I was left with a very painful nerve condition on my entire right side as a result of where my stroke took place in my brain. I was told in pain rehab that "it won't kill me but I will die with it", so losing this weight is the last piece of my puzzle. I'm still not able to do much exercise which doesn't help any in the whole loose skin department. I'm off all meds except my nerve pills so this surgery has been a miracle for me in more than one way. Time for some shapewear! Any suggestions out there???

Im 54 lost 137 lb and loving clothes

No matter how much sagging I get I am still excited to have this chance. I don't think plastics would be good for me b/c I tend to scar very easily. Plus, I really don't want to have to go through all that if possible. I am doing this for my health and activity level so I really don't care too much; I was just curious.

I'd rather look older and be active, and have people say "wow, she's really active for her age" than look younger due to my chubby face and be sitting on the sidelines all the time.

My therapist keeps warning me that after losing so much weight I'm going to look a LOT older due to wrinkles, sagging skin, etc. since I'm 53. Just wondering how much sagging others of you have had, if losing "only" 100 lbs. I know people losing 150-200 lbs or more are bound to have a lot of extra skin, but I am really hoping not to need plastics. And I don't mind some wrinkles, but am I suddenly going to look 65?

I'm 63, 6 months post-op, and have lost 75 of my 100 excess pounds. I worried about drooping, sagging and wrinkles too, but there is an advantage to surgery at this age - I'm WAY past wanting to wear crop tops, "daisy dukes", or short skirts! Shapeware does the trick, and I still avoid sleeveless. I had decided beforehand that I would consider a facelift if my face or neck was droopy, but I haven't had any issues and everyone says I look much younger. I think genetics is a big factor in skin elasticity, and I am thankful for my good genes....

I'm 53 and already experiencing the sagging skin in my arms and lower abdomen. I really don't care because I'm feeling wonderful and I know I'm so much healthier. I had a stroke at age 52 due to my blood sugar and blood pressure both skyrocketing at the same time. I was left with a very painful nerve condition on my entire right side as a result of where my stroke took place in my brain. I was told in pain rehab that "it won't kill me but I will die with it", so losing this weight is the last piece of my puzzle. I'm still not able to do much exercise which doesn't help any in the whole loose skin department. I'm off all meds except my nerve pills so this surgery has been a miracle for me in more than one way. Time for some shapewear! Any suggestions out there???

Don't know where you are from but Dress Barn has some good Shapewear

Hi All! I'm 53 and had RNY ON 5/6/15. I am down 50 lbs from my HW. 30 from SW. I am concerned about the wrinkling too. I am using Defining Gel by It Works on my neck to help with neck sag. So far...not too bad. I still have about 90lbs to go though????. post-244889-14344762801047_thumb.jpg. This was this week.

I promised myself I wouldn't go clothes shopping because I have several tops I can wear from past weight loss attempts. Well after hitting 51 lbs. down at 8 weeks post-op, I just couldn't resist - LOL! Much to my very pleasant surprise, I no longer wear a 3X. Today I purchased all 0X's - Whoo Hoo!!! I definitely want to purchase some Shapewear, so that will be my next shopping trip :D

Edited by beachgal2935

Post Menopausal Question:

I am 5 months post op - This morning I started bleeding after 5 years of no period. Yes - I have called my GYN and am waiting for the nurse to call me back, but I want to make sure It is not related to my weight losst - Has anyone else experienced this? I will tell my GYN about the surgery, but am a little nervous.

Thanks,

The best Shapewear site out there is: http://www.makemeheal.com/

I love their products but mostly use the compression tank.

I haven't had my surgery yet but about the same size and height as you , I've been using the site www.AmericanShapewear.com

for Shapewear, FREE Shipping in USA. Am waiting for post surgery but I hear Rago is one of the best products. I bought a (non-Rago) latex compression thing and it was HORRIBLE! Smelled and felt like I was encased in a tight plastic sausage! YUK! Stay tuned after I get MY surgery...and PLEASE let us know what works for you!

Hi! Im 50, so nice to find some grown ups here ,) I have a lap band, got to 185 ( Im 5"9) and then got back up to 220 im going to take my band out and get bypassed so much harder to loose at this age!

I'm 60 and got approval from Cigna and my date of 10/13 all yesterday so I'm flying high! I have my class and some pre-surgery tests in the next month and then start my liquid diet on 9/29. It's all happening fast now.

Hi Cherry! Congratulations! How long is your liquid pre op? My band pre op was 2 weeks, its hard but youll get your loss started! I have to wait so flippin long for my surgery date its frustrating