Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 month post-op Depression

I seem to have fallen into a depression. I am seeing a therapist and have been on effexor for a few years now And have been having no issues, until my 3 month mark.

I've sort of given up, I eat like crap sweets , not any bread, but packaged junk. I thought it was emotional eating, but then realized I am depressed. I still get all my fluids no problem and Protein.

Can anyone relate? and does this post op depression lift at some point?

For those of us who have battled depression before WLS, we can also have a little bit tougher time after WLS. Not always, but because you do, it's nothing to beat yourself up over. Glad you are seeing a therapist and hope you can stick with it for awhile; maybe you can think about brainstorming with your therapist about switching up to a different anti-depressant since you said you've been on effexor for awhile?

You FEEL like you've "sorta given up" because that is the nature of depression. But you haven't given up. You have just begun!!! This is just a temporary setback (and, realistically, probably not the only one). Please remember, you just had MAJOR SURGERY. That is a big deal. Be gentle with yourself. You knew this wasn't going to be easy, and that no one does this all alone.

In my opinion, one of the hardest things after WLS is finding our own individual method for changing our forever eating lifestyle about the processed, starchy carbs. (1) Some people decide that they are not going to change anything and continue to eat what they want when they want it. They most often continue to really struggle with keeping their weight under control. (2) Some can do fine with choosing to eat the "junk" food in moderation. This can work as long as you have a realistic definition of moderation and are the kind of person who can truly just take a bite or two or just have a treat or two and walk away. (3) Some people choose to radically change their eating habits (especially in that critical first year), and eliminate the junk until they have trained their brains and bodies to thrive on "real" food as fuel. Then, after that first year, eating even occasional junk becomes less and less important to you. You gain a lot more power over your food choices.

I've certainly heard a lot of people say that the more of those "sweet" carbs (or any kind of starchy carbs) we eat, the more we crave them. I know that is true for me. Unfortunately, I just happen to be one of those people who doesn't have an "off switch" when it comes to eating junk food. It's been a lot of hard work to train my brain that the food I choose to eat is medicine for my body, but my body DOES like the real food a lot better than the junk.

Every day as you are taking your WLS "one step at a time," please remember you are also focusing on "one step at a time" to do your self-care for lightening your depression. It is so hard to focus on the GOOD AND THE POSITIVE when we are feeling depressed, but there is so much good and positive change that is ahead of you as a result of your weight loss surgery. Keep your eye on the prize!!!

Please take good care of yourself!

Thank you so much :)

It truly has been a tough time. It also seems I don't get a break from PMS anymore either. 3 good days and then wam! It's awful! It use to be 1 week before and I was a monster lol

I'm gonna call my doc On Monday to see if I can get into see him.